The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Even bigger EEEEK! :scared:

I think you'd better start looking for that mouse, it seems to be getting bigger. 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Podiatrist, yes, but they don't do surgery other than toenails etc.  I used to manage the department.....

My foot was reconstructed by the top local orthopod, he does more than just hips and knees.  Trouble is there were an awful lot of broken bits.  I don't think you were around here at the time, but the aftermath looked like this: (apols to those eating....)

P1120150s.jpg.7db88d4b03edc9d29357333ee63c8c00.jpg

Puts my marks to shame...........

HeadWound-01.jpg.8424c65a9cf6a968db2c0801ae0e4c7f.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

You learn something every day.  There was a cover of that song by Twice as Much on the Immediate label which may even have charted but I never knew till now that the Stones had recorded it.

Chris

I don't know my early Stones albums that well, just their singles and now will have to source the CD. Brian Jones on Harpsichord, a volunteer st Crich as well as a great musician.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

Evening All,

A day of waiting around, visiting mil and taking her and Sydney out for a walk. Not been on here much today so I hope I haven’t missed anything important but I have noticed NHN foot but haven’t read too much detail as sometimes you can have too much information. Anyway Neil, I think I may have missed your birthday so ‘Happy Birthday’ 

Watched a couple of films, which I didn’t initially realise were based on true stories. One had a happy ending whilst the other didn’t. 
Not got much done over the weekend so I’ll say goodnight as I ought to make an early start tomorrow.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

What I replaced in the bathroom yesterday was quite creative but really bad work. 

Reminds me of a house we owned many years ago. It had a phone with and extension and an additional bell in the back porch.  Problem was if you picked up both of the phones at the same time the bell in the porch would ring continuously. The GPO telephone engineer who came to fix it

said "I wish I could meet the effin idiot who wired this lot" to which I replied "You probably already have, the previous owner did it and he's an instructor at your training school"

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

my skills in conducting "interview without coffee" means I can get him to realise what a complete skilless eediot he is without stating it directly.

My daughter and some of her friends are absolute artists at that. During her time at university she was in a club with one of the other girls when two England footballers tried to pick them up. She knew full well who they were but didn't let on, then asked one of them what he did for a living.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

Daylight saving time began in the US this morning. For some reason (perhaps because today was cloudy and the last couple of days were sunny) my system overrode intent and decided today would be a day to sleep in.

I had set the clock before retiring. Having at one point stirred and visited the second smallest room (the pantry is smaller) before what I thought would be a short snooze, when I finally awoke I was quite shocked to see that it was 10:45am!

We had very delightful weather (15°C and sunny) for a few days but rain was forecast midday-ish. It arrived as I stepped outside for my daily constitutional a little after eleven. After that, golf* on television and the day is pretty much done.

* The Players tournament.

There is little in the way of broadcast television diversions this evening. For pop culture fans (not really me) the Grammy awards are on. I think I'll watch the evening news and prepare something to eat.

EDIT
Even if a little rainy, the weather here is kinder than in the Rockies and plains, with blizzards and tornadoes. Even if the equinox is a week away, it is certainly Spring.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Daylight saving time began in the US this morning.

And in Canada. There’s talk that this may be the last time we change here in BC, and we’ll stay on ‘summer time’ from now on, though that really depends on Washington, Oregon and California doing the same.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, pH said:

... we’ll stay on ‘summer time’ from now on, though that really depends on Washington, Oregon and California doing the same

I don't know if there are holdouts - the Governor of Oregon has signed the legislation for year-round daylight saving time (shared with the other states/provinces on the west coast).

It requires Congressional approval. It is in the purview of the Department of Transportation.

I enjoy daylight saving time in the summer. I am not a fan of daylight saving time in the winter, unless school hours are changed. I don't think small children should be forced to go to school in the dark. Perhaps this is necessary in latitudes like Scotland, but with standard time, our latest sunrise here (PST) is 7:48am. It would be 8:48am with year-round daylight saving. 

The requirement to share daylight saving time is sensible. I have much experience with the QLD/NSW border time warp where in the summer you literally* go back in time stepping north over the border to Queensland.

* a subject of many jests about it being metaphorical as well.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I enjoy daylight saving time in the summer. I am not a fan of daylight saving time in the winter, unless school hours are changed. I don't think small children should be forced to go to school in the dark. Perhaps this is necessary in latitudes like Scotland .. 

The UK stayed on ‘summer time’ from March 1968 to October 1971 i.e. through three winters. The effect on daylight hours in winter became more the further north and west you went. In some of the western islands in Scotland, in the shortest days of the year, it was dark till mid-morning. The main push for all-year daylight saving appears to come from road safety organizations. It seems to have resulted in fewer accidents overall (more in mornings, fewer in late afternoons/evenings) in most parts of the UK, but more overall in northern Scotland.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, pH said:

The main push for all-year daylight saving appears to come from road safety organizations.

Here that is certainly being used as "justification" - that there is a spike in road accidents in the day/days immediately following the time change. The notion is that people are more tired right after the time change, leading to accidents.

In my opinion, the motivation seems to be a combination of people simply dreading the time change and not wanting to give up long summer evenings. (I feel like the road safety argument is window dressing. There's never any analysis of what will happen to road safety on dark winter mornings, which here, are usually wet.)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3