The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still tying up some loose ends re. the will. I have just discovered that all assets including bank accounts are frozen when you die*. That means that any costs and fees are down to the executor of the will and they are only repaid after probate has been completed. It seems the best way to avoid it is to take out life insurance, something I have never bothered with as my estate is more than enough to cover funeral and other costs. *This is because some executors have been known to dip their fingers in to the estate.

My experience (from earlier this year) is that accounts are frozen but some banks/BS will allow executors to pay certain bills (such as funeral expenses, HMRC (IHT) and one or two more I can't immediately recall) before probate. It may be down to the particular circumstances but one bank has already transferred the money out of the original account and probate hasn't been granted. (I hear from several reliable sources they are currently running badly behind, mostly due to the obvious reason). I think there is a threshold (currently £30,000) below which probate need not be granted. Though depending on the institution's rules, they will probably want to see the death certificate and the will, might want you to sign an indemnity against claims from beneficiaries and will only pay into a particular account. It does seem to vary from one organisation to another. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As for all theese multi-wheeled vehocles has anu ybody thought about the cost of a new set of tyres?

If you can afford one of these vehicles, you can certainly afford the tires; no problem!  The thing is can you get it in your garage?;)

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, brianusa said:

If you can afford one of these vehicles, you can certainly afford the tires; no problem!  The thing is can you get it in your garage?;)

Brian

Most truck tyres are regroovable  both transport companies i worked for leased the tyres from ATS.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all, nice enough day, cold but mostly dry, I spent an hour or so running wheels over parallel bits of metal, I have a fried chip in one of the wheeled things and I don't mean one of the potato variety either, voltage reaches the chip, but it will not move. This is a modified split chassis Bachman model, that has been drilled and the chip hard wired in, not sure why it should have failed as it worked ok last time. A small amount of the indoor "G" word, some seeds were sown and that was about it for the day.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

‘ evening all from red dragon land.

Some sunshine today and a bit of cutting up for the Cakebox to convert wooden stirrers into concrete blocks. Stirrers are not quite long enough so I had to be inventive! Glueing the pieces together next...

And thinking about making cake & trifle for Sunday. 

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie psyching up for cake day.

Take care all and play safe.

————-

Best wishes

Polly 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Most truck tyres are regroovable  both transport companies i worked for leased the tyres from ATS.

Some companies I was aware of got some local entrepreneurs to steal them. Cheaper than buying them  apparently. I got this info from one of the aforesaid miscreants who we got off the roof of an ATS branch one freezing night.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The average Manxman dislikes the UK and anything to do with it, but devours newspapers with religious fervour.  Never understood this!

I can think of analogies related to American celebrity gossip/lifestyle magazines.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When it comes to disposing of assets I will ask for anything that my relatives do not want such as furniture be disposed of via the local hospice charity. They do house clearances free of charge and if they find cash stuffed into a mattress or any other overlooked valuable item they will inform the family. My model railway items will be placed in the hands of SEERS who will auction them off for a small percentage.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I think there is a threshold (currently £30,000) below which probate need not be granted. Though depending on the institution's rules, they will probably want to see the death certificate and the will, might want you to sign an indemnity against claims from beneficiaries and will only pay into a particular account. It does seem to vary from one organisation to another. 

Agreed that it varies across the different banks and building societies - for example Nationwide is £50,000.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

Evening All,

Not got much ‘work’ done today but took mil to supermarket and then took her and Sydney for a walk.

What  ‘work’ that did get done included paying the staff so no mutiny on Monday.

One problem with the new build was resolved but another one has appeared. Seems like it’s a game of ‘whack a mole’

Getting late so goodnight,

Robert.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather stayed sunny for the rest of the day, but the wind grew steadily stronger as the day progressed, but by teatime it had all but gone. The temperature remained in single figures all day though, the highest it got was 8C, but I beat it felt a lot colder with that wind! Just as it was getting dark, the rain started again, it’s still raining now. 

Well after this morning’s 2 shopping trips, I’ve done absolutely bu99er all since. That is unless you count doing a couple of sudoku puzzles and reading a book nothing, but that’s what I did for the rest of this afternoon. 

• Like 16
  • Funny 1