The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

When my mother died the solicitor (one employed by the practice) whispered in my ear that it was silly to say them several hundred quid to do what is usually a very straightforward job you can do yourself - so I did. 

STOP PRESS!!

@The Stationmaster finds an honest Solicitor! :laugh:

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

There used to ge a very good guide published by Which.  I think that the registrars also give you sone sort of checklist.  I presume  thst there are now some online guides. I used online guides to sort out an aunts estate and had no problems.

Jamie

Here's a starter for ten:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/wills-and-probate/probate

There are also numerous books on the subject - Bear can recommend this one (there may be later editions), for the grand sum of £2-45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wills-Probate-Administer-Employing-Solicitor-dp-085202858X/dp/085202858X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Happy anniversery NHM and Debs.

A former colleague of mine had previously worked for the Co-op funeral service. He was once booked for doing 100mph through Epping Forrest, in a hearse. (Daimler 420G, basically a Jaguar Mk. X.)

A friend of Bear's is an undertaker; at one funeral the family had requested someone playing the bagpipes, dressed in the full regalia.  He took a step back and fell down the hole.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A former colleague of mine had previously worked for the Co-op funeral service. He was once booked for doing 100mph through Epping Forrest, in a hearse. (Daimler 420G, basically a Jaguar Mk. X.)

A friend of mine was booked many years ago for doing 105mph in a hearse on the A45 past Birmingham Airport. His only complaint was he had been overtaken by a member of the Double Zero club. The only qualification for being a full member of that organisation was having travelled at over 100mph on a motor bike on a public road.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A friend of mine was booked many years ago for doing 105mph in a hearse on the A45 past Birmingham Airport. His only complaint was he had been overtaken by a member of the Double Zero club. The only qualification for being a full member of that organisation was having travelled at over 100mph on a motor bike on a public road.

So if the hearse was booked doing 105 what were the rest of the cortage doing 103 ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, polybear said:

STOP PRESS!!

@The Stationmaster finds an honest Solicitor! :laugh:

Here's a starter for ten:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/wills-and-probate/probate

There are also numerous books on the subject - Bear can recommend this one (there may be later editions), for the grand sum of £2-45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wills-Probate-Administer-Employing-Solicitor-dp-085202858X/dp/085202858X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

A friend of Bear's is an undertaker; at one funeral the family had requested someone playing the bagpipes, dressed in the full regalia.  He took a step back and fell down the hole.....

Mr Bear you really don't want to hear some of the things that undertakers have got up to and when I mean really you seriously don't.:bo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary Neil and Debs!

@pupcam and @polybear  yes it all went downhill when Hatfield moved to Stevenage and Marconi "took over" Bae. Up till then Project Managers were kept in a box  - I could see the onslaught of Project Managers so it was another reason to leave

Baz

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went to Tess Coes earlier and bread pudding was being put out on the shelves :danced: . 

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Mr Bear you really don't want to hear some of the things that undertakers have got up to and when I mean really you seriously don't.:bo_mini:

I quite agree, my friend of the speeding hearse used to regail us with some stories. I won't repeat any here but when he got caught for speeding he had an empty coffin in the back. He said that that elicited quite a few remarks from the police officers. 

• Like 19

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

There is a Landrover Defender around with an American 5ltr V8 petrol engine with twin turbo chargers fitted.. Tested on an airfield, the flying brick nearly reached 170mph...  and then had to visit the petrol station again..

I once, somewhere along the south coast in England, got a lift in the reverse of that - a big US station wagon, converted to right hand drive, and fitted with a small British straight four. It also had two gearboxes, in line and with the second one ‘back to front’. The guy driving this had to be very busy with gear levers anywhere but on a long, straight unrestricted road.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite his favourite weather Arthur Itis has been quiet today with one exception. He has discovered a bunion which I have had for years that I hardly have ever noticed, he has just bought it to my attention.

• Friendly/supportive 19

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

With ‘Get Me to the Church on Time’ on the stereo?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Happy anniversary to Neil and her Debship. For what's left of the day.

My Brother was going to buy a hearse as he is mad keen on fishing but found that they were too thirsty on juice he bought a little car derived van instead. A couple of years ago a guy at the top of our street had a motorbike picked up by a guy in a hearse all the woodwork had been stripped out forgot to add the driver even put on a top hat with the black ribbon on.

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thought
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The only qualification for being a full member of that organisation was having travelled at over 100mph on a motor bike on a public road.

Been there, done that :O

Back when there were no speed limits, on my buddy's Vincent 500...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17