The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Personally i think she is a stunner but she has a lot of problems with her own family never mind trying to fit in with the Royals i think this interview is going to blow up in her face and take Harry with her. 

We could well end up with another East and West Sussex.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I feel a distinct lack of muddling tokens going on..

Yesterday SWMBO defrosted the fridge freezer. 

Today the fridge bit, (separate compressor) which she didn't touch , appears to have died. I've just played with it,  it's now set on max we'll see what happens . 

Does the fridge compressor run?  Can you get at the fridge thermostat wiring and by-pass the thermostat such that the compressor runs all the time, thinking the fridge is too warm?  New thermostats are cheap.

Or is it a frost-free jobbie with a microprocessor - then a fix starts getting tricky...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

Lurker i have been in automatic transmission vehicles all day and then had to jump in to the manual car to come home with no ill effects. Even when i had spent 7 hours driving mainly on footpaths it was a sweeper i was driving i hasten to add. The worst i have had was trying to put the ignition keys in because it was centre console mounted like a Saab ps did i mention the sweeper is left hand drive. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

According to C4 news the police officer that has been arrested for murder of this missing girl in Brixton has been taken to hospital witness injuries and is now back in the cells one wonders if he has had a "little accident" at the hands of his colleagues. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I dislike displays which suggest I need to shift up or down and I never set a cruise speed.  

I find cruise control very incompatible with a manual gearbox and essentially worthless. Unless you are on an open highway with zero traffic, inevitably you end up needing to use manual control after a short period of time.

Adaptive cruise control in an automatic or EV is a nice feature. It will (I think before too long) become pervasive as vehicle autonomy increases.

You can always ignore shifter suggestion indicators. I have a simple programmable one that is based on an RPM threshold. I find it a convenient reminder, when highway traffic is unpredictable and heavy traffic clears, that I can upshift in high gear. Boy racers can set it to the red line (or something slightly less).

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Does the fridge compressor run?  Can you get at the fridge thermostat wiring and by-pass the thermostat such that the compressor runs all the time, thinking the fridge is too warm?  New thermostats are cheap.

Or is it a frost-free jobbie with a microprocessor - then a fix starts getting tricky...

I thought I was in a time warp!

Having wasted far too much money replacing the thermostat and far too much time recently building an Arduino based fridge / freezer monitor to make the rubbish old Beko work properly in the cold garage.  Plan A was to provide a little heat to the thermostat to trick it into thinking the ambient temperature was higher than it was and thus cause the Bxxxxx thing to work (some manufactures actual sell a "garage kit" which is precisely that, a little heating element that sits inside the thermostat housing and is wired across the supply) I have to say I'm favouring Plan B.   Forget the thermostat and let the Arduino drive the compressor directly.   Always best to cut out the middle man .......

Sorry Bear, no cake yet.   I'll try harder next time :D

Puppers

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still tying up some loose ends re. the will. I have just discovered that all assets including bank accounts are frozen when you die*. That means that any costs and fees are down to the executor of the will and they are only repaid after probate has been completed. It seems the best way to avoid it is to take out life insurance, something I have never bothered with as my estate is more than enough to cover funeral and other costs. *This is because some executors have been known to dip their fingers in to the estate.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A lot of people confuse cruise control with auto pilot as in this case.

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/motorhome-crash/

Ideal apocryphal fodder for the Darwin awards :D   Cretingham so close to Cretinham although that may be how it's pronounced in Suffolk ... 

Talking of Suffolk, is it time for another episode of Brian from Melton yet?

• Like 13