The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The what happens if the parking brake fitted to my car actuated at some inopportune moment intrigued me so having nothing better to do I did some online searching. It doesn’t seem to be a problem or at least one that has occurred yet. However I have learned that some people trying to change the rear disc pads themselves without disarming the parking  brake mechanism can end up needing new calipers too. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

BoD - why not just fill in the details online for her which is what I have done for father-in-law ...

If push comes to shove I will,  but mum is still fiercely independent and always likes to (try to) do these things for herself  and asks for help only as a last resort and reluctantly at that.

2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I have now looked again at my letter and have realised that you are given a 10 digit reference number to phone with as well as 16 combination of numbers and letters for your 'household reference code' - why not have the same reference for both options?

This 10 digit reference number is clearly unique because that was all that was needed for them to send out a paper form. So …

… ours not to reason why.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

What's all this census talk? not heard anything in Wee Jimmie Crankie land??

You get yours next year - deferred due to Covid . . . . . . . 

https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/2022

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

We've had a leaflet saying that the census is coming, but as yet we haven’t received the actual census form. It’ll make boring reading in 100 years time as there’s only the 2 of us here. 

No form - just a letter with a link to the web page - if you can't deal with it online then you have to phone to get a paper form sent to you.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

A few years ago before MiL’s last trip to India she needed a visa. Insisting on trying to do it own way managed to annoy most of the family. After one rejection it looked as if the system had changed her status to that of a Pakistani ex security man. 

I bet that went down very well

Just received my cencus stuff including a paper form, Colour me puzzled.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

For the last 2 days we have had a Hillman Hawker Hunter flying in loops up and down the Costa . . Looked like it was doing practice bombing runs on Castle Eden Dene . . . according to Flightradar   Flying in at about 1800ft, at about 440 knts.

It lifted the boredom, somewhat . . . 

Hooley blowing, cloudy but dry . . . . .I don't think NORMAN Hunter will be back in this wind . . . but then . . i'm not a aviation expert .  .

HAve a good day all, and gan canny . . . 

John

So thats what Dave Hunt keeps in his shed. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Getting back to the census. I worked on three censuses, 1981, 1991 and 2001, quite an eye opener in more ways than one. On one occasion my knock was answered by a very attractive young lady who was stark naked, only keeping her modesty behind a small towel. She was completely unfussed about standing in front of a male stranger in the buff (her not me, it was too bl@@dy cold).

Perhaps she was expecting someone else.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Or something else ;)  

"Hey mate - you can survey this at any time" :O  

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

She seemed completely noneplussed. I told her that I'd come for the census form and she just said she'd fetch it for me. When she came back she was wearing a bath robe. Despite the cold I was sweating.

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Or something else ;)  

"Hey mate - you can survey this at any time" :O  

There were certain addresses where only female enumerators were sent, this wasn't one of them. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

prefer a manual and aI prefer a "proper" handbrake

I can see why manufacturers moved to electric ones. I have over the years had issues with cable operated handbrakes and none whatsoever with the electric ones on my cars. The one on the hired Renault (manual gearbox) took a while to trust but I am sure it wouldn’t have taken long. If the rear brakes are discs the electric brake on the main disc holds more firmly allegedly than cable operated mini calipers or auxiliary drums. 
Having a car with various features doesn’t appear to affect my driving ability. I can get in the Fiesta with its manual gearbox and traditional handbrake with no problem. The Fiesta is traditional enough to have an ignition key as well though I must admit to occasionally looking for the “start” button. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear's morning consisted of.....wallpaper, though a finale of Bear's favourite Dr. Oetker's Pizza brightened the day somewhat.  If only it didn't disappear so quickly :(

Bear noted Prince William being quizzed on the lunchtime news.  When asked about Harry my Beary senses detected a slight "atmosphere".  Perhaps Harry should record the phone call that is no doubt imminent - now that should sell to Oprah for a nice little earner.....:laugh:

Currently watching "Run silent, run deep" for the nth time.....

• Like 17

My last 2 cars had electronic handbrakes. My wife at first thought there was something wrong with car she thought i was messing under dashboard.

I enjoyed start button on the petrol honda civic but the diesel didnt have one.

My Grandad always used to moan even 20-25 years ago thst all this stuff added to cars was just more to go wrong and it all relied on 1 battery.

Although i dont like Piers Morgan remember the fake photos that got him sacked from the Daily Mirror and put lives of British forces in danger. He shouldent be forced of Gmb by Meghan the manipulator. Personally i think she is a stunner but she has a lot of problems with her own family never mind trying to fit in with the Royals i think this interview is going to blow up in her face and take Harry with her. 

Edited by simontaylor484
Missed off text
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

We’ve got ours up here including Mil. SWMBO is  having to fill it in on her mothers  behalf as she’s not computer literate and doesn’t have a computer. SWMBO  found the letter quite amusing. It says if you want a paper copy of the census email the council! How they expect Mil and many others to complete it I really don’t know, going to really effect the results.

Robert

One presumes that those that are not 'computer returned' will have people on the ground following up on the doorstep as usual.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5