The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My census reminder arrived this afternoon complete with code to access the on-line form. Although its a bit early I opened the site and filled in the details, not difficult as its only yours truly to record. As a point of interest theoretically there should be no visitors or anyone visiting another household due to covid. The other item that arrived in todays post was next years council tax bill, an increase of £20 per year over last years.

Same here, I received mine (well, my address') last year and went online to fill it out; done in about fifteen minutes or so. I suspect the I was among the first to complete it as "why wait", get it over and done with. About three weeks later a reminder to do it was received but I suspect that was just an automated mailing; probably a lot cheaper to mail all than to try to sort out who has and who has not completed the form.

• Like 17

Still a bit of a Hoooolieeeee but the bright thing in the Sky has appeared and it would actually be classed as a lovely morning if it wasn't for the wind.

I'll give the walk a miss for now, (yes I know Fair weather fairy, but I can live with that).

Liberal covering of Palm leaves from next doors Tree over the lawn, and a couple of the garden chairs look like they've been used overnight.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well.:good:

• Like 19

47 minutes ago, andyram said:

Poor game. I have seen better football played on local park pitches. I have seen snippets of Rooney’s interview which stated we had battled well. I am not going to suggest we descended to the hoof it level of our hosts because our football has been dire all season. A draw a fair result. Both keepers made one decent save each. We were a width of a post away from a winner. Barnsley should have had a penalty. The horrible little man with the whistle, Keith Stroud, always likes to be centre of attention but seemed to forget himself today and had a fairly quiet game. Usually his errors are against us, but today’s decision to book a Barnsley player for diving in the box after a clear foul by our player was a rare one in our favour. On most occasions he can’t point to the spot quick enough!

Those are ninety minutes of my life I won’t get back, but made palatable by the two pints of Stout I consumed.

Anyway, moving away from a load of balls! Greetings to one and all. Not much to report today apart from frustration at DPD. They have been delivering to my shop for 2 and a half years. They are well aware that I don’t normally open until 10.30am and that I live 40 minutes drive from the shop. It is therefore no help to send me an alert at 7.30am stating my delivery will be arriving from 8.15. Result being the delivery rearranged for tomorrow.

Stay safe.

Andy

Agree with most of what you say. We used to play the ball on the ground but passed it to death and eventually lost the ball and often a goal. I don’t like our style of play, there’s no finesse but it’s been getting results. Other teams are getting the hang of how we play and nullifying our game plan. Anyway we’ve avoided relegation so mission accomplished for this year. Pity the stadiums been empty because there would have been a great atmosphere with the position we’re in. Bought season ticket in June and never expected that I’d not get to see a match!
Robert

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

She gave me the reference number from the letter and after not a few calls I managed to get through, key in the reference number and she should get her form through the post.  Being of a certain generation she was already starting to chew about the £1000 fine for non completion that is mentioned somewhere in the bumph.

BoD - why not just fill in the details online for her which is what I have done for father-in-law who has just gone into a care home for respite care as he is classed as 'normally living there but temporarily away on Census day'. The leaflet says that you can complete the Census before 21st if you are not expecting any changes to your 'household' and so we dealt with ours the day the letter arrived.

I have now looked again at my letter and have realised that you are given a 10 digit reference number to phone with as well as 16 combination of numbers and letters for your 'household reference code' - why not have the same reference for both options?

Also I note that the letter gives the phone number to call in large print at the top of the letter and again in smaller print at the end as an alternative to going to the website - it's also on the back of the purple leaflet enclosed with the letter so I don't think it's fair to complain about email being the only way to contact.

I think I read somewhere that this will the last time the Office for National Statistics will have a Census like this as most (if not all) of the information is now available from other sources - I guess they'll just track us using the microchips implanted with the vaccine !!

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 12
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

Sunny but rather blustery weather so far today. 
Shopping will arrive later this morning. No shortages or substitutes. I will play the find a space game in the freezer later. 
Tony

• Like 15

Morning, wet and windy last night, but now dry and bits of blue sky amongst the clouds allowing the sun to peep through, still cold, only 7 degrees so any of the "G" word will be inside the greenhouse. Might run some wheels over parallel bits of metal too. What's all this census talk? not heard anything in Wee Jimmie Crankie land??

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It would probably make an unpleasant smell. 

Would that be inside, or outside of the car?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is grey and very windy. The panels on next door's fence are hanging on by threads. He's been saying he'll have to get round to putting more solid panels with a gravel board in for a couple of years now, especially as his daughters are now 5 and 3 and love the garden. Maybe this will give him the impetus he needs. It has not been bothering us.

I took Younger Lurker off to his first full day back at school. He seems to be OK about it - he even managed to more or less do the tie!

Mrs Lurker reports that there are vast numbers of flowers laid for the lollipop man.

And now on with some work. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The rain has stopped, the wind has almost gone, but the sun is shining, albeit on and off at the moment. The garden is far to wet to do any sort of hard landscaping so I’ll give it a miss as there’s a possibility of more rain later on today. 

My car has lots of electronic gadgets in, A/C, built in sat nav, Bluetooth for the phones, music is via a USB socket and it has heated leather seats and a heated steering wheel, which I’ve used only a couple of times. Sheila likes the heated seats! The dash also tells me the pressure of my tyres, my average mpg etc. Thankfully, it has a proper hand operated hand brake in the usual place, just behind the gearstick. 

We've had a leaflet saying that the census is coming, but as yet we haven’t received the actual census form. It’ll make boring reading in 100 years time as there’s only the 2 of us here. 

Not a lot planned for the day, I might get the turntable from the workshop and set it up in the cellar and test it along with the remodelled test track. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bin day today, started as usual by the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon as its the every other week that it appears. Blowing a hooley but dry outside, I heard my garden wheelie bin go over earlier so its going to remain where it is until the wind drops. Got to go and run a bath now, be back later.

• Like 14