The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Both SWMBO and myself have LPAs which are held by our solicitor. They are regiatered but the solicitor will only release them if I authorise it (for mine) or a letter from a registered medical professional.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

Afternoon all

Been trying to ring drs surgery this morning they have now put on a recorded message re covid 3 minutes of waffle to get through pah.

Sleep clinic havnt recieved the sd card from my cpap machine that i sent in last week second time this has happened luckily the machine records the data.

Although some nights i dont use the machine 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I dont know if any other ERs use Real Time Trains but i have recieved notification that from tomorrow Avanti West Coast will be putting which units they are using on their services on the site.

All the time.  It is one of those genuinely useful apps which many of us refer to frequently.  SWR includes their train formations with little icons of the train formation.  It is smart enough to show which livery (SWT red, blue or white or SWR grey) each unit wears and which way round it is which is very handy when dealing with frequent requests such as "where is the bike carriage?" or "Which is the first class car?".  

Any time a train is shown as "delayed" on the public CIS information panels we can use RTT to establish where on its journey it has been delayed and by how much.  If it is still sitting in Waterloo (in which case the facetious but not inaccurate answer to "how long is the delay?" is "As long as a piece of string") we can swap to Open Train Times which is the other always-open app we use and check whether the train is in fact there (using the headcode), has TRTS (Train Ready To Start) or indeed has a proceed signal (the icon swaps from red to green - it doesn't differentiate between green and yellows).  Once TRTS comes up we can assume the train will be moving within 2 minutes and with us in 10 - 12.  

• Informative/Useful 17

Afternoon... just.

Feel like I've achieved nothing today but looking back, not a bad day.

Highlights include discovering Planet Zoo (computer zoo building game). I can see I'll be playing that tomorrow too!

Watered the plants - they've been desperate for a week!

Set up the ride on train. Have found it drives slower than crawling speed though so not sure it'll be fast enough.

Got through to TalkTalk on their chat about cancelling the service. It never even started (will discuss this at a other point), which is a big relief.

Now just cooking the evening meal, whether you call this dinner or tea, it's going taste great! 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The official equivalent of Open Train Times is an excellent program and the same displays are also used on the screens sited in various places out on the latforms at some GWML stations - very handy for accurately checking which way round a train is as the announcers sometimes get it wrong. 

The original BR computing program which did teh same sort of thing was called P2 and came complete with the relevant desktop background picture but licences for it were expensive at £60 per pc so regrettably I didn't have one in my office (but i could at least watch our trains working in the platforms).  We also had a special version of P2 which included some stations/passing points in France & Belgium although (logically) all we got was our own trains.  The latter was probably just as well as i suspect much time would have been spent watching the working on LGV Nord if we'd had access to everything on the screens in the LGV Nord signalling control in Lille.

Departure Boards is another handy little package as it too shows train formations

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

Bin raining all day,  it wasn't much better inside.. 

After the ms office update the spreadsheet went very strange, I clicked a box on the spreadsheet, and it started randomly swapping between different pages and different spreadsheets. I had to shut it all down and reboot it seemed ok after.

The first major system, when I tried to update the spreadsheet with the new results, I found the spread sheet was damaged.. it took until 20 minutes before home time before I fixed it..

Meanwhile I was trying to progress major system 2 for this week, so far it's spreadsheets seem ok but will need careful checking at the end..

Before I tried to put the updated results while waiting for both systems to finish what they were doing, the net was researched for information on rudders, Blue moon's original rudder was too small. The current one I'm not happy with how it turned out in shape or weight, so eventually a new one will be made.

The current shaft is a 48mm piece of scaffold tube, very heavy.

So what should it be?

it took a long time to find out.. A slight smaller boat of the same style uses a stainless steel 1inch hollow shaft of 1mm wall thickness.

So I'm looking at either changing the thickness to 2mm or the diameter to 30mm.

Alternatively getting a carbon fibre tube. 3x the price and 1/3 the weight.

As for the shape, I know what it should look like, and eventually I'll carve that out of foam, fit the shaft, fiberglass that over, to produce a lighter and more hydrodynamic shape.

I think I need a whisky..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Interesting talk about boilers. As I mentioned I had a new boiler fitted last September. The new boiler is a Valiant and is a lot quicker in heating the water up than the old one which was an Ideal. Wet and windy outside and that seems to have started Arthur Itis off playing his merry tune so a liberal coating of Voltarol cream is in order. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The official equivalent of Open Train Times is an excellent program and the same displays are also used on the screens sited in various places out on the latforms at some GWML stations - very handy for accurately checking which way round a train is as the announcers sometimes get it wrong. 

The original BR computing program which did teh same sort of thing was called P2 and came complete with the relevant desktop background picture but licences for it were expensive at £60 per pc so regrettably I didn't have one in my office (but i could at least watch our trains working in the platforms).  We also had a special version of P2 which included some stations/passing points in France & Belgium although (logically) all we got was our own trains.  The latter was probably just as well as i suspect much time would have been spent watching the working on LGV Nord if we'd had access to everything on the screens in the LGV Nord signalling control in Lille.

Departure Boards is another handy little package as it too shows train formations

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/

P2 is effectively dead in the water.  Some locations retain it but it has been altered from a generic log-in to staff-specific ones apparently due to the cost of licensing.   In short unless the individual is on duty and is logged in no-one else can make use of it.  

The new "Staff Information" screens are becoming widespread.  Reading was one of the first locations to have them on open public display.  It took a matter of days before regular customers learned the headcodes of "their" trains and would seek them out on the screens.  They have been installed at the House of Fun recently although roll-out there is not yet complete and a couple of P2 monitors remain.  The only people who have trouble getting a decent look at the screen are the staff!  They are a source of entertainment and information to the public as much as anything; watching trains "move" as the headcodes jump from berth to berth and watching the signals "explode" back from green to red is a source of, seemingly, endless amusement.  

Only this morning I was attempting to explain to an interested party what it all meant.  I put it in terms of "Train Chess".  This train can move that way - that train can move this way - the train over there can overtake the train in front of it by doing this.  And sometimes one "takes" another as two portions couple in the platforms.  Simples.  

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

back and said by the time they'd contacted the other dealer to transfer it, the car had

I arranged a test drive for my present car. In between setting off from home and arriving at the garage in a Chelmsford (about 20 minutes) the person returning the car had pranged it very slightly. I got a test drive in a virtually identical (though new not slightly used) car. So the one I bought was straight back from the body shop a week later. My first drive in it was the trip home. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Any time a train is shown as "delayed" on the public CIS information panels we can use RTT to establish where on its journey it has been delayed and by how much.  If it is still sitting in Waterloo (in which case the facetious but not inaccurate answer to "how long is the delay?" is "As long as a piece of string") we can swap to Open Train Times which is the other always-open app we use and check whether the train is in fact there (using the headcode), has TRTS (Train Ready To Start) or indeed has a proceed signal (the icon swaps from red to green - it doesn't differentiate between green and yellows).  Once TRTS comes up we can assume the train will be moving within 2 minutes and with us in 10 - 12

The map function of Traksy.uk is similar and I prefer its layout.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

P2 is effectively dead in the water.  Some locations retain it but it has been altered from a generic log-in to staff-specific ones apparently due to the cost of licensing.   In short unless the individual is on duty and is logged in no-one else can make use of it.  

The new "Staff Information" screens are becoming widespread.  Reading was one of the first locations to have them on open public display.  It took a matter of days before regular customers learned the headcodes of "their" trains and would seek them out on the screens.  They have been installed at the House of Fun recently although roll-out there is not yet complete and a couple of P2 monitors remain.  The only people who have trouble getting a decent look at the screen are the staff!  They are a source of entertainment and information to the public as much as anything; watching trains "move" as the headcodes jump from berth to berth and watching the signals "explode" back from green to red is a source of, seemingly, endless amusement.  

Only this morning I was attempting to explain to an interested party what it all meant.  I put it in terms of "Train Chess".  This train can move that way - that train can move this way - the train over there can overtake the train in front of it by doing this.  And sometimes one "takes" another as two portions couple in the platforms.  Simples.  

Rick P2 is nearly 30 years old and i;m surprised that anyone is still using it - it was superseded back in the 1990s!!!  It's a BR heritage system which was expensive to run because of the licence fees and the informations sources it used have long been overtaken by systems which bleed off train describer information rather than working the way P2 did which was originally built around TRUST and then had various add ons.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just seen the weather forecast - make sure the anchors holding Fraggle Rock have been checked, NHN, otherwise you may be sailing up the Solway.

It is a bit rattly outside again!

Oh, and about that 'mainland' in your blog.....that'll be the British mainland, not the Manx one.   ;)  75 new cases today, 580 active cases.  This is going to take  while to clear out this time. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

13 hours ago, polybear said:

So how does a restaurant know if someone has received two vaccine doses?  Apart from the on-line tracking and the blue hair of course....

They don't. Diners (irrespective of vaccination status) are permitted to remove their mask to eat and drink. Locally, in counties considered "moderate risk", restaurant indoor dining is restricted to a limited capacity with separation between tables.

The CDC guidance for fully vaccinated people was about gathering in private spaces.

The actions of some states (like Texas) to remove all pandemic restrictions continues to be 'newsworthy' with much anxiety expressed over a 'fourth' wave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My census reminder arrived this afternoon complete with code to access the on-line form. Although its a bit early I opened the site and filled in the details, not difficult as its only yours truly to record. As a point of interest theoretically there should be no visitors or anyone visiting another household due to covid. The other item that arrived in todays post was next years council tax bill, an increase of £20 per year over last years.

• Like 16