The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Don, I hope by now you have managed to have some breakfast. Until recently the doctor always added a fasting glucose test to my regular blood sampling. I'm sure this was just so they could have have something good to tell me! For that blood test here, it is no food or drink after 10pm but water is allowed.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Fair number of oktas in evidence. Entirely predictable given that the solar panels were commissioned yesterday! I think a game of golf may be in order today and a concert is scheduled for this evening. Though there also appears to be a list.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

I'm hoping all your injuries are starting to disappear - I've regained a bit more feeling in my leg. I reckon it must've been a trapped nerve because I had been sleeping on the ground outside for 5 hours on that side. Well I've got a check up at the hospital today. Hopefully it will be that and nothing more, I'm getting a bit tired of having my jaw and mouth fiddled with at the orthodontics...

Still, as some of you may have seen on my status yesterday (I know Don did - thanks for the message yes.gif) I have a school fete this Saturday (9th). I think I'll be setting up on the Friday before which gives me less time to make alterations on the layout. I'm not really sure what needs doing either - I think the hangar needs to be rebuilt and a couple bridges built though. I really need to sort out the backscene too.

Speaking of which, I did go down to the real Calshot to make a few backscenes but only one worked. I was using a tripod but it doesn't have a spirit level on it so I think it was not quite level. It worked better by holding the camera with my hand! It is lovely down there though, and I went for a quick peak around the disused and long demolished 'Top Camp'. Nothing much there apart from the fencing and the floor of the old officers married quarters (which was a pub up until recently (early 2000s?) when it was burnt down). Very sad.

• RMweb Gold

For a moment this morning I thought a package the postman delivered was train shaped but it turned out to be the windscreen wiper blades I'd ordered. I noticed at the weekend that one had split slightly. I did think about driving to the the car dealer in Chelmsford but the postage from a Land Rover garage with an online spares counter was cheaper than the fuel I would have used .

Tony

Morning all...:yahoo:

It's great to be home and last night was the best nights sleep I have had in weeks. I just hope that's it and I can get on with my life.

The bare boards for Eastwood are well under way and hope to join up both sides in the next day or two. What a landmark that will be....

Wishing you the best for all your ailments and hoping we will all be 100% shortly.

• RMweb Gold

The bare boards for Eastwood are well under way and hope to join up both sides in the next day or two. What a landmark that will be....

Will there be a ribbon cutting ceremony? Have you chosen the inaugural train yet?

When I had a layout that trains could go round on it was quite nice to watch them while doing scenic work on another area.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I'm glad things are on the up for you again Gordon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :drinks:

I just shunting up a short cut of night shifts before weekend off. Another K3 has arrived for Ruberslaw today so I think I should pretty much have my complement of them now with two rolling out of works, two awaiting attention and another one on the way!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been going over the old ground here, and it seems that just about all the ERs have been poorly in one way or another, so I'll just add a get better quick note to everybody who is aliling. Now it's my turn, as I have my annual eye torture with the diabetic screening, as this is done with drops, and normally that means that I need to sit down in a semi darkened room unable to focus clearly for the rest of the day. Many people do hsve a pretty good reaction to this, but for some reason, I seem to react very badly, and even though my notes say to use a half dose, and I mention that to the nurse, it seems that they just do their own thing regardless.

I'll try to touch bases again tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Well, it turns out my recent ailment is a kind of epicondylitis, so I was prescribed an ointment and been given the hint of putting a thin cushion on my desk to allow for a more relaxed posture. The pain in the other shoulder and the neck is most likely a consequence, too. Oh well!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Right – presentation this afternoon, and then it's only four more days of uni before term break, if I am not mistaken. I'm also looking forward to our trip to the North Sea in early August B) .

Cheers everyone!

Goodness Gracious. Now Stewart is joining the ranks of the afflicted.

Good news from me. It was no longer agony last night getting up to urinate during the night. Thanks to the penycilin the inflamation appear to have diminished and largely cleared up! :thankyou:

I hope everyone elses troubles clear up as quickly.

On the weather front, clear skys for the next three days with temp up to 20C/21

Good Morning all,

Glad to report that my cold has now abated, (so far) . Yesterday evening even managed to do a bit of modelling :rolleyes: . But of course when I wanted to print a drawing the printer was out of ink! Oh well..................

Speedy recovery to the rest of the ER's under the weather.

Cheers

Trev

Morning All,

It is a lovely morning down here in Karlsruhe, and I am happy to report that I am currently healthy (thank goodness) - I'll keep my fingers crossed that all the ERs who are suffering return to health as quickly as possible.

You have my sympathy Stewart. I went through something similar last year involving drops and bright lights. I went to the Opthamologist for a checkup and he was concerned I might be developing glaucoma. Fortunately, it turned out not to be the case, but the whole process was very uncomfortable.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one (at the moment). Golf postponed yesterday due to rain but maybe it'll happen today. As predicted the solar panels produced very little power yesterday in their first full day of operation. I'm still expecting the onset of the next ice age or volcanic ash clouds.

Need to get myself down to the shed and sweep the floor. As my layouts are currently packed away and I have a fairly large area of clear floorspace the model railway club are descending on me this evening to lay out the track plan for a new club layout. Much cogitation over track alignments and building locations will no doubt ensue.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nice day here. We have a new recycling system starting today. Each house seems to have interpreted what goes out this week differently.

Matthew and I were going up to London to get his passport stamped at the Vietnamese embassy but it isn't a while you wait service. So today we will make use of the "fax your details and take the passport next week" option.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Off to the Swanage Railway today, i'll post up some photos on my return as I expect you will be interested.

Had a slight reshuffle on the challenge entry layout last night as well making a bit of progress on Calshot. Looks like I'll only have Thursday and Friday morning to make sure the layout is ready for the fete on Saturday! Hopefully the day will remain dry for the rest of the day so I can get some decent photos... we have already had a tiny bit of rain though. Fingers crossed...

If you do have a wooden leg, did you design it yourself, Jam?

"As predicted the solar panels produced very little power yesterday"

Dark days ahead, obviously.

(Just a fairly obvious tip but easily overlooked, they seem to respond to regular cleaning. Probably best not to use a Brillo Pad).

I enquired about ER Group Health Insurance.

We are uninsurable.

• RMweb Gold

It is pouring with rain here now.

I've just managed to send a couple of faxes. Fax machines seem to be technology that passed me by. When I worked in schools only school secretaries or very senior staff were allowed access to telephone lines and by the time I worked in educational IT email was beginning!

The fax we have is part of an all-in-one printer but it did seem to work, although it doesn't seem obvious how to send a multi sheet fax for things (like passports) that can't go through the sheet feeder.

Now that the excitement of recycling and faxing is over I can get back to normal (well normal for me).

Stewart, Aditi has the retinopathy photography done and seems totally unaffected. I've had retinas photographed (not diabetes related in my case) and felt that I needed a couple of pairs of sunglasses to cope afterwards. I used to hate anything near my eyes but I've had to get used to it and I'm fairly relaxed about such things now.

I'm such a slow typist that it has stopped raining and the ground is almost dry!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

"As predicted the solar panels produced very little power yesterday"

Dark days ahead, obviously.

(Just a fairly obvious tip but easily overlooked, they seem to respond to regular cleaning. Probably best not to use a Brillo Pad).

I think the major problem at the moment is the panels being frequently washed with rainwater!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold
Looks like I'll only have Thursday and Friday morning to make sure the layout is ready for the fete on Saturday!

A fete worse than death?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had retinas photographed (not diabetes related in my case) and felt that I needed a couple of pairs of sunglasses to cope afterwards.

I once had this kind of examination done in the middle of summer on a cloudless and sunny day. That was a rather big mistake as I could hardly see anything afterwards – even with sunglasses!

The first time I had my pupils dilated they forgot to warn me. I drove home in June, literally blindingly bright day in NYC and had forgotten my sunglasses. Strangely enough I made it (!), it was just uncomfortable - I had some gel detached from the eye wall which was far worse (and you just have to wait for it to heal).

Best, Pete.