The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Cake making will commence later this morning, and I hope to produce my own chinese prawn dumplings this afternoon. A few glasses of sherbert, and that will complete the day. 

Don't mix the ingredients up.  Prawn cake....:bo_mini:

Bear notes that Covid testing for pupils is voluntary, so if little Tarquin (other names are available) doesn't like it then he doesn't have to do it.  Makes sense...:no:

Right, where's the glue?

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. HB Johnny777. I didn't watch that interview last night, I had better things to do. I'm no royalist but the last four years of what was happening on the other side of the pond certainly put any thoughts of republicism aside. I do think that we should have an elected second house, we are not a democracy until we can choose directly over who rules over us. Stiff joints again this morning but it soon cleared up but the warmer weather has set the eczema itching off again. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. HB Johnny777. I didn't watch that interview last night, I had better things to do. I'm no royalist but the last four years of what was happening on the other side of the pond certainly put any thoughts of republicism aside. I do think that we should have an elected second house, we are not a democracy until we can choose directly over who rules over us. 

This is my position too, wouldn't want a president they seem to be accountable to no one once in, we have replaced prime ministers mid term, I think Jim Hacker was one of them.......................

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

...down here in the far south east corner there is one daffodil that always makes an appearance before Christmas:

2021Daffodils-03.jpg.7fd34ab7fbfb10ae6fe16bf95db69eff.jpg

Set against the garden railway it definitely looks like a scene from Day Of The Triffids..

13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have a new, never-used 8" floppy drive and controller, it is just about as large as a present day laptop....

Boasting or complaining, Herr Bach?

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is quite the array of magnetic tape storage for computers...

And going beyond tape storage, does anyone remember the MiniDisc? It was supposed to be much better than all the other forms of computer (and music) data media then available. Then along came USB flash drives/memory sticks...

I wonder if this was another VHS vs Betamax technology moment?

2 hours ago, BlackRat said:

....I also took the Queens shilling ( not that I got one mind you)....

That reminds me about a scene from one of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books that featured the Ankh-Mopork City Watch: when being sworn in, the recruits were given The King’s Shilling on a string to hold - the string being so that the shilling wouldn’t get nicked.
Terry Pratchett  also noted that Sgt Fred Colon would lean on old lags and old coppers for information - sometimes both being the one and the same person! :jester:
Good old TP, sorely missed.

18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...I do think that we should have an elected second house...

I have mixed feelings about this. In theory, at least, a second house that is full of people appointed through service to the country would not owe their allegiance to any particular government nor would they need to consider whether or not a decision - made according to conscience - would impact on their re-election chances. And thus be able to hold any elected lower chamber to account. The reality, of course, is very different.

Dentist visit went well: the dentist was pleased with the outcome (but back in 2 weeks for further work :o). I now have a hole in my head, so-to-speak (no comments from the peanut gallery, please) and feeling slightly under-par. This too shall pass....

Happy Toosday, folks!
iD

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s sunny out there, there are also a few clouds about but there is no rain forecast, so I day spent in the garden is on the cards. The cellar steps and the patio need a clean so that’ll be the first job, after that I’m looking at getting a few plants, that are currently in pots, in the ground permanently. 

Johnny777, happy birthday. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

as a trail of Presidents around the world have shown just how bad that way of appointing a head of state can be.  

Just for the sake of balance there are some very unpleasant characters around the world who are hereditary heads of state. 

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all, Sunny here and warming up nicely.

Happy Birthday to Johnny 777 and belated congratulations to Dom and Elise.

I didn't watch that show either; I have little interest in the Windsor soap opera.  However I suggest that anyone questioning Harry's parentage (a) check the timing and then (b) look at photos of the young Earl Spencer, Diana's brother; he got the Spencer genes.  I never liked his taste in fancy dress.

I'd better get on, I have sales to pack and listings to do, and no doubt will be required to do something else.

Have a good day, stay elfy.

Pete

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

One suggestion for the second chamber would be a house voted in by a totally proportional system. that would give, quite often, a very different proportion of members than that of the lower house..

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

People get very territorial about parking outside their house, even as in Keith's case, the vehicle is perfectly legally parked.

I used to live in a road of terraced houses with no offstreet parking and the next door neighbour was one of the territorial types. On the plus side, he always kept an eye out for our car too but it did not stop someone from phoning the police and demanding they moved my car. The police did try to track me down - it was a company car - and phoned me at work. Unfortunately that was no use as I was in Mexico at the time. The police told the complainant tough luck. I think they wanted to put a skip outside their house - I wonder if they had applied for the relevant licences?

These days we live in a road with offstreet parking and residents' parking bays - we're close to the high street.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Second house - must really never be elected as it would then become no different from the HoC.  It has its downsides but generally when it really matters it is willing to vote against the incumbent government, something that a politically elected chamber would probably not do.

An elected second house is essential if it is to keep the lower house in order with democratic legitimacy. The solution to the issue that you raise is to elect its members for "life" so that they are not beholden to the parties.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

One suggestion for the second chamber would be a house voted in by a totally proportional system. that would give, quite often, a very different proportion of members than that of the lower house..

Thats my thoughts on the matter. The same as we did with the Euro elections with a few tweaks. Either the same constitunencies with more members or preferably more constituencies each with about a maximum number of members. A rigidly fixed term as well of either four or five years. We had 73 Euro MP's, obviously a second house would have to have more, between five and eight times as many thats why I suggest more constituences. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Baron Bigod.. The First Earls of Norfolk,  Former owners of the land my property is sat upon, and I'm guessing probably owned that bit of Suffolk just 30 miles away, where the farm is that makes the cheese..

No relation to the current Dukes of Norfolk as they are descendants of the 5th recreation of the title..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

No relation to the current Dukes of Norfolk as they are descendants of the 5th recreation of the title..

And whose seat is Arundel Castle.  A long way from Norfolk.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 5