The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Would a slice of LDC be suitable substitute?

Depends upon whether it is a slice of the Local District Convenor of our trade union or of Bear's Lemon Drizzle Cake.  :jester: 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

That is a nice try, but you will still be able to watch it after those two programmes by switching over; unless, like me, you have an interest in cooking and wish to see the second week of contestants in Masterchef. 

There are also a variety of attractions on other channels to claim my attention = apart from a book or three I happen to have handy - so I definitely won't be wasting my time watching that pair of whingers.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will not be watching the Meg and Harry show tonight, I don't like whining noises. Some of us still hold doubts as to whether he (H) is a royal or came from the other side of the blanket. Perhaps their sprog not getting any titles is telling us something.

Thanks for that Bear, it will be handy as I am using a will service rather than a solicitor.

As far as any title is concerned that is 100% down to the monarch to decide as she would have to issue Letters Patent in order to contravene Letters Patent e established by King George V in 1917 that no title could be handed to great grand children of the monarch or even to grand children if  their parent is not in the direct male line of succession to the throne.   Thus Letters Patent were issued by King George VI in 1948 to enable children of Princess Elisabeth to be titled Prince or Princess.  Similarly Letters Patent were issued in by the Queen in respect of  Prince William's children entitling them to be Prince or Princess as appropriate because he is in the direct line of succession and  his first born would similarly be in the direct line of succession.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Looks more like Ian Wright in drag to me

I wish there was a “this comment is not funny” button. I thought perhaps ERs was a kinder place than one comparing a 67 year old woman to a retired footballer. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

An 8" floppy? Isn't that just bragging? 

Hopefully BoD will be able to confirm but 8” floppies were available for some of the first school microcomputers from Research Machines. The slightly later BBC micro used 5.25”  assuming you had managed to avoid using audio cassettes for program storage. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

8” floppies were available for some of the first school microcomputers from Research Machines

8" floppy disks / discs (invented by IBM in the 1960s) were the standard size for many years. I was still using them in the 1980s with DEC equipment. The purchase of a "Winchester" hard drive in one of the university labs (probably around 1983 or 1984) was a transformative experience. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

8" floppy disks / discs (invented by IBM in the 1960s) were the standard size for many years. I was still using them in the 1980s with DEC equipment. The purchase of a "Winchester" hard drive in one of the university labs (probably around 1983 or 1984) was a transformative experience. 

ICL also used them on their Front End processors for data comms on the 2900 series mainframes.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The ... BBC micro used 5.25”  assuming you had managed to avoid using audio cassettes for program storage. 

There is quite the array of magnetic tape storage for computers.

10½" reel magnetic tape was the standard for many commercial offline-storage applications well into the late 1980s. It persists in the semiconductor design business in the term "tape-out" where the design data was stored on a reel tape and hand-carried to the photomask shop for the first step in the manufacturing process.

¼" cartridge tape was common well into the 1990s for offline storage from professional workstation computing. While larger, these had a similar form factor to the compact audio cassette, with the exception of a sturdy aluminum base plate.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, BoD said:

I recorded the two Dave Allen compilation programs on Saturday night.

I’m sure they will be much more interesting and entertaining.

I saw Dave Allen live, at the Cardiff, New Theatre, 1978.

He never 'told' a single 'joke' - but, I can safely say he was the best comedian I ever saw live.....my sides did ache.

• Like 15

Sorry if my sense of humour has caused offence

We had a Winchester hard drive at School well into the 90s

When I worked in transport we used to collect magnetic tapes for secure destruction from various locations to take to Sheffield to be disposed of this was 2009/2010. I don't know what form these tapes took wether they were reel to reel or something more modern

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have a new, never-used 8" floppy drive and controller, it is just about as large as a present day laptop.

26 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip... ¼" cartridge tape was common well into the 1990s for offline storage from professional workstation computing. While larger, these had a similar form factor to the compact audio cassette, with the exception of a sturdy aluminum base plate.

I have many tapes and a drive for them very similar to your description except that the tape is about 3/8" and the cart is approximately the dimensions of a Sony Beta video cassette.

• Like 14

Evening All,

Some jobs were done, household and business but the time taken was disproportionate to what was achieved but at least progress was made. Went for a short walk before tea and then fell asleep. Just woken up so making my daily report as I may as well call it a day.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is quite the array of magnetic tape storage for computers.

10½" reel magnetic tape was the standard for many commercial offline-storage applications well into the late 1980s. It persists in the semiconductor design business in the term "tape-out" where the design data was stored on a reel tape and hand-carried to the photomask shop for the first step in the manufacturing process.

¼" cartridge tape was common well into the 1990s for offline storage from professional workstation computing. While larger, these had a similar form factor to the compact audio cassette, with the exception of a sturdy aluminum base plate.

Bear used to use a Racal Storehorse Tape recorder (£60K in the early 90's, from memory) and a couple of Enertec Airborne Tape Recorders (£100k each, in the mid 1980's).  All used Ampex 1" wide mag tapes (16" reels?) and Bear used to run them at 120 inches per second, so munched thru' tape in 30 minutes flat.  A box of tapes was a grand in the mid 90's, with five tapes in a box.  The Racal went back to HMG (and will probably end up as scrap) and Bear scrapped 200K's worth of Enertec's in the 2019 (I did try to rescue the very nice motors from within first, but they were buried so deep it wasn't worth the aggro.  The tapes sat in the cupboard for years, eventually being degaussed (bulk erased) and then dumped; I lost count of the cost of that lot).

Incidentally, the mess a tape recorder going at full chat can make when the tape gets knotted up provides hours of fun sorting it out.....

One of the Enertecs needed a new pair of Record/Replay Heads in the mid 90's.  Bye-bye 50K - Project Manager not happy; Bear did well to conceal his glee at seeing him squirm....:laugh:.  He wasn't known as "the oxygen thief" for nothing; he used to spend the morning doing the crossword....

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, the mess a tape recorder going at full chat can make when the tape gets knotted up provides hours of fun sorting it out.....

Music recording progress  can be charted via the recording mediums people chuck out of their cars when they fail . Once upon a time when walking along a roadside  you'd often come upon a  cassette tape with an attached  tangled mess of tape that had obviously got caught in someone's car cassette player  and been thrown out  the window in disgust. 

Then in the '90's it was CDR,s  usually with the album or band name misspelled  in thick black texta.  It had probably started doing that annoying  skipping thing that CD's did in cars, and was frisbeed out the window - which can be  very satisfying.

Currently it seems to be  ear buds and USB leads... 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

An 8" floppy? Isn't that just bragging? 

Thanks for the reminder ... forgotten about but now located and discarded.

I think the 'show' is on at the moment but ER is better by far.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

Evening all from the wilds beyond the Wall. 

The OH is busy “upcycling” a table. The legs have already had 3 different shades of green on them, so hopefully this will be the shade that meets with approval. 

Had a pretty hectic day at work, followed by a drive over to Glasgow and back to drop Jamie back at her mum’s. 

About ready to collapse in a little heap now, then start all over again tomorrow. Working 3 days this week, then off till next Wednesday but during my “long weekend” (ha ha) I’m moving my mum up to Edinburgh. 

Not planning on watching the interview. I’ve nothing against either of them, but it doesn’t particularly float my boat. I watch very little tv as it is!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went into Tess Coes today there was the smell of bread pudding wafting through the store. Only thing was it had just been removed from the ovens and it would have been a few hours before it went on sale. Just as well as it would play havoc with my blood glucose which I have managed to keep out of T2 territory so far. Now back to Farcebook.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Its interesting reading reports of of daffodils and other spring flowers are now making an appearance up north whereas down here in the far south east corner there is one daffodil that always makes an appearance before Christmas:

2021Daffodils-03.jpg.7fd34ab7fbfb10ae6fe16bf95db69eff.jpg

It's the only one in the garden that appears before Christmas but it does it every  year.  Just before the recent arrival from the Beast from the East the lonely daffodil (in the distance in the following pic) was still flowering but certainly on its way out just as the first snowdrops were appearing:

2021Daffodils-04.jpg.d81d86f4f4131a0627f3d31bef4bcf7d.jpg

Within the last couple of weeks the daffodils have appeared with a vengeance and are now taking over parts of the garden as can be seen in the next couple of pics:

2021Daffodils-01.jpg.dfd8cb5c8ea2f2fec67d9f7969731c3b.jpg

2021Daffodils-02.jpg.37d6a56698cd499bddd0baeeddf692d7.jpg

In other parts of the garden tulips and hyacinths are starting to make an appearance but think it will be a few weeks before the azaleas will start flowering.

Just noticed in the last picture you can just see the snowdrops right at the end of the garden but the first daffodil seems to have disappeared.

Keith

If you get an opportunity go to the isles of Scilly in the spring and you'll be blown away by the narcissus in flower. The colour is unbelievable.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4