The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. A few days of posts to read after spending most of the weekend digging out a bay in the the manure pits at the allotments ready for our supplier to start refilling it. I was hoping for a bike ride today but a bit wet and misty over the Dark Peak at the moment so will see what the afternoon brings.

On 07/03/2021 at 07:25, Barry O said:

Today should include a perambulation before the hordes get up and cause chaos.

I have given up walks and bike rides at the weekends since the Covid rules started as we are getting swamped by numpties from 100 miles around. A few weeks ago we had scoucers travelling over the Main Watershed to have a look at the snow. Lots had to be guided back off the hills by Mountain Rescue volunteers. Three from different households were fined for breaking the rules after writing off a Boy Racer vehicle near Bamford.

On 07/03/2021 at 07:43, polybear said:

Bear heard that eligibility for The Jab now starts at 56 upwards.  Still not there yet :(

The GP-led effort in our area had got down to doing over-50s but they were stopped from having any vaccine deliveries for three weeks as their performance was overshadowing the Government's efforts at the mass vaccination centre 10 miles away

On 07/03/2021 at 09:55, Barry O said:

Looks like the ERs did well in the lottery last night.. even I won a fiver!

Baz

I gave up on the lottery after a price rise. I calculated that my usual entry in the National Lottery and Euromillions compared with my winnings was costing me a lot of funds that could be diverted to the muddling account.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all,

we definitely will not be watching the Oprah show - for a start it clashes with  'Only connect' and University CXhallenge'

That is a nice try, but you will still be able to watch it after those two programmes by switching over; unless, like me, you have an interest in cooking and wish to see the second week of contestants in Masterchef. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I shall gladly rid myself of the accursed heaps of junk, knowing that much space will created as a result.

The added bonus (sting in the tail) will come because I know I will need it about 14 days after I get rid of it!

A Beary solution:

1. Decide when to dump it, but don't.

2. Wait 15 days then, if you haven't needed it, it will be safe to dump it.

Should work.  Shouldn't it?

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Will have to sort out some paperwork as tomorrow I will be sorting out my will (on-line). My old one is a bit out of date now and I can't even find the copy I have somewhere.

Hmmm......Bear needs to do that too.  Not finding the old one has some issues, cos' if you can't find it then those that'll need it will no doubt struggle even more.

One solution for safe storage is the Probate Registry (it costs twenty quid); it also helps guard against fraud:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/store-a-will-with-the-probate-service/how-to-store-a-will-with-the-probate-service

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The GP-led effort in our area had got down to doing over-50s but they were stopped from having any vaccine deliveries for three weeks as their performance was overshadowing the Government's efforts at the mass vaccination centre 10 miles away

Whoever made the decision to stop the vaccine deliveries should be sacked - that's being petty beyond belief - "We don't like you winning so we'll take the ball away until we've scored a few more"

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I gave up on the lottery after a price rise. I calculated that my usual entry in the National Lottery and Euromillions compared with my winnings was costing me a lot of funds that could be diverted to the muddling account.

Bear gave up years ago after deciding some of the causes the money was being donated to was less than deserving.  Bear would like to see a system whereby the player can decide where they would like their money to go, for example (and I'm making these up as I go along):

Option 1:  NHS

Option 2:  Cancer Research

>

>

>

>

>

Option 50:  Buying some obscure painting for millions and hanging it on a wall somewhere....

And every week the amounts raised for each option are published, giving you the choice of changing your choice cos' option 32 did quite nicely last week after all

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Readers may be interested to know that despite his proclaimed intention of immediately going off to do a useful domestic task, he's been spotted reading another RMWeb thread. Should Jill be informed?

No one likes a tattle tale.:P

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

Afternoon to all

Are you sure thats Oprah Harry and Manipulator Meghan is talking to? Looks more like Ian Wright in drag to me. I wont be watching i think she is trashy mm lets move to tge US cos i want privacy but we will do a big reveal all interview. As far as im concerned shes no different to Katie Price (who was better looking when she was Eddie Jordan)

Edited by simontaylor484
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will not be watching the Meg and Harry show tonight, I don't like whining noises. Some of us still hold doubts as to whether he (H) is a royal or came from the other side of the blanket. Perhaps their sprog not getting any titles is telling us something.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hmmm......Bear needs to do that too.  Not finding the old one has some issues, cos' if you can't find it then those that'll need it will no doubt struggle even more.

One solution for safe storage is the Probate Registry (it costs twenty quid); it also helps guard against fraud:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/store-a-will-with-the-probate-service/how-to-store-a-will-with-the-probate-service

Thanks for that Bear, it will be handy as I am using a will service rather than a solicitor.

I went to Tess Coes a little earlier and I had to go to the customer service counter and while I was there I checked in my Euro-lottery tickets and I won £3:80 whoopee. Yesterday I went to pick up an old map of New York city that I had agreed to purchase for £10. It is enormous, about 2' by 3' in a nice frame 1/20,000 scale. I had a good look at it a little while ago and I realised it was printed on velum! I don't know how old it is but it shows all of the elevated lines and streetcar lines that had gone by about 1960.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I recall my excuse years ago at work to avoid attending a royal visit was that I had a few boxes of floppy discs to format that morning. 

8", 5¼" or 3½" floppies? :biggrin_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

8", 5¼" or 3½" floppies? :biggrin_mini:

3.5”, 1.44Mb. Initially when asked I just said I was busy and our manager went on to the next person. Basically the person who went was the last person to answer the email. The manager did ask “just out of interest, what are you doing that day?” when I thought up the formatting excuse. He did say that we had a machine for bulk formatting. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The diplomatic thing is to assume "no position" and let things work themselves out but I have a duty of care within my contract - and morally - to myself, my colleagues and my customers (passengers if you prefer) to know whether I am fit and safe for duty.  

Answers on a postcard, please.  

Would a slice of LDC be suitable substitute?

48 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will not be watching the Meg and Harry show tonight, I don't like whining noises. Some of us still hold doubts as to whether he (H) is a royal or came from the other side of the blanket. Perhaps their sprog not getting any titles is telling us something.

Though none of the Queen's other great-grandchildren (apart from those of Prince William, understandably so as he stands to become team captain at some point) have titles either).  Harry's next rugrat will also be eligible to stand for President of the USA, as chances are that she will be born in the USA.  Wonder how that would go down with the rest of the Royals if she ever pulled it off....:biggrin_mini2:

A Good Day for Bear.  Door frame and pipe both finished (= last coat of paint) and lining paper started; so far so good - none hung upside down :laugh: or back to front (actually it does have a "front" face, which apparently gives a better finish when being painted.  Nice stuff to hang - bl00dy strong, and paste-the-wall too, so Bear didn't end up in a sticky mess wrapped in wallpaper.  More papering tomorrow....

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1