The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is aware of a certain company that charged six hundred quid for a bag of 100 13A domestic mains fuses

I can remember working in a screw, bolt and rivet factory one summer in the 1970s where Dad worked. The screws and rivets were for aircraft. Some bolts were supplied individually boxed with certificates to prove everything the end user needed to know about the batch, how many had been tested from that batch etc. I remember one of the bolts was something that if it failed the helicopter it was fitted to would crash. Very similar fasteners were supplied to the Ford Motor Company but without documents and not individually wrapped. However on arrival at Dagenham if a random sample didn’t meet Ford’s standard the whole batch was rejected. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all, we have dull and drizzly rain, been at it since dawn, so not much likely to happen today, daily Mahjong challenges to do to limber up the brain cells then lunch, I know how to live in the fast lane......................................take care all.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, trisonic said:

I bet not many people here have heard of Harold Hill.................

Best, Pete.

Well I certainly have. Along with other names that live on in infamy: Romford, Gidea Park, Hornchurch, Billericay, Chelmsford, Brentwood or that sink of iniquity: Basildon. And whilst we are dwelling in the east for a moment or two, let’s not forget the chic, celebrity adored, bathing resorts of Clacton, Southend and Canvey Island.

At the age of 12, I couldn’t wait to leave Gidea Park and travel to, what was for me at that time,  sophisticated Bologna. When I left (in 1968) Gidea Park, like Hornchurch and Brentwood (to name but three) were still firmly rooted in the late 50s.

It is only now, in my sixth decade, that I am starting to appreciate Essex anew. The various cultural, familial and emotional baggage of my teens to forties have vanished into memory and it’s time to reappraise where I spent a good chunk of my childhood.

Despite the intervening teens to forties,  I never lost the  fond memory of taking the semi-fast train from Gidea Park to Liverpool Street station. The station names; Gidea Park – Romford –  Ilford – Stratford - London Liverpool Street; all still have a resonance with me.  As do the EMU rolling stock I travelled in: the class 302s, 305s, 306s, 307s (although most of my journeys away in the class 306s. Never did ge to travel on the Clacton Express [Class 309s]).

iD

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst we are dwelling in the east for a moment or two, let’s not forget the chic, celebrity adored, bathing resorts of Clacton, Southend and Canvey Island.

In  Victorian Times “Canvey on Sea” was for a time “the” place to enjoy the sea breezes. A local entrepreneur even built a monorail to transport tourists to the ferry crossing to Benfleet Station. The bridges came much later. 
Southend almost became what Brighton did. The Prince Regent visited a few times but settled on Brighton for some reason eventually. Southend was originally the south end of Prittlewell Parish. All I can say about  Clacton  is that I once was served the worst fish and chips I have ever seen. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

A'noon all. Happy to report Livia said hello to the world at 11.53 and is well!

Due to COVID regulations, no visitors are permitted until discharge, so I made the most of the time we had today. I'll see if I can get a couple of days off on short notice as I didn't book in all of my annual leave yet.

But, now I, too, need some rest. I didn't get a lot of sleep this past night.

Have a good one, whatever you're up to!

Congrats Dom, nice one.:good::dancer::good::dancer:

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Let’s not forget the chic, celebrity adored, bathing resorts of Clacton.....

Despite the intervening teens to forties,  I never lost the  fond memory of taking the semi-fast train from Gidea Park to Liverpool Street station. The station names; Gidea Park – Romford –  Ilford – Stratford - London Liverpool Street; all still have a resonance with me.  As do the EMU rolling stock I travelled in: the class 302s, 305s, 306s, 307s (although most of my journeys away in the class 306s. Never did ge to travel on the Clacton Express [Class 309s]).

Clacton-on-Sea : God's waiting room (Essex Division) along with its neighbours Holland-on-Sea, Frinton-Keep-Off-The-Greensward and Wart-on-the-Noze. ;)  Both my father's parents ended their days there.  My aunt and uncle too, though after aunt obliged by medical circumstances to leave her bungalow and remove to a home in Holland-on-Sea we declared Clacton "safe" :O  

We therefore paid a number of visits.  We holidayed as a family in that hell-hole of all hell-holes the caravan park at Jaywick Sands.  It wasn't good then and it is utterly dire now.  But we did get to ride on the Class 309 "Clacton Electrics".  Including having morning tea in the Griddle Car when such facilities remained on offer.  They were as fast as their reputation suggests and were maroon when we first knew them; the only BR EMU sets ever to be so liveried.  I timed one at slightly above the "ton" once.  As with iD the place-names still roll off the tongue stating with Liverpool Street - Stratford - Maryland ....... and ending with Thorpe-le-Soken (splitting front six cars for Clacton, rear four for Walton) and Clacton-on-Sea.  As iD regrets never having enjoyed the 309s so I regret having missed the Britannias by just a few years on the same run.  

306s ran the Gidea Park stoppers and occasionally ventured out to Shenfield.  They were LNER style and comfortable if already showing some age.  The 302 / 305 / 307 / 308 fleet was as mundane as the Southern's EPB / HAP types and were both inwardly and outwardly quite similar to casual eyes.  Boring.  I never gave them much thought.  I haven't been to Clacton in years now.  The last trip was my aunt's funeral.  I remember the trip back was aboard a class 321 unit (not even the "express" 360 that were bought for the Clacton run) which was very much a suburban unit and which also had problems.  The suspension bottomed out on numerous occasions one of which was severe enough to cause an emergency brake application.  We limped into Liverpool Street shaken but not stirred.  I wonder if I shall ever have cause to turn right at Colchester again.  

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's something for our guitar playing music lovers.

The toccata from Widor's 5th is well known as one of my favourites preferably played on a Cavaille-Coll pipe organ, but I came across this, and was intrigued!

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, a confession: 

18 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

A throwback to the earlier chat about tea and coffee - I'm one of the unusual people who doesn't drink either. I tried but couldn't find anything I cared for, so stopped bothering.

17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn't drink either; when I finished my apprenticeship and joined the Trials Dept.  (= lots of Jollies, Hotels etc etc) and mentioned I didn't drink, one of the guys responded with "Well, you can't be a Trials Engineer if you don't drink....".  Then another said "Hang on lads....he can drive....".  Sorted.

I didn't phrase this very well. I don't drink tea or coffee. 'Anything' was the range of teas and coffees on offer, rather than alcoholic beverages, my apologies for any confusion. 

And that's probably why I didn't learn how to drive a minibus before I was 21! 

What might shock people is that I don't drink beer. Despite being a Yorkshireman by both birth and upbringing, I have never been able to enjoy ale. Cider, yes, wine, mais oui monsieur, but ale (or lager) I cannot drink. 

17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear would like a kitty, but situations like this (not that there are many Coyotes around here, just plenty of cars) puts Bear off the idea, along with the complications of care when going on holiday.

Not many coyotes round here either but work and holidays can both be difficult for four legged companions. At the risk of provoking the awl, I know Metcalfes have had many cats at their place but with a railway line on one side and a road on the other, sadly there have been quite a few fatalities over the years. I did know one family with a Manx cat, it was much more part of the family than the stereotypical aloof cat and behaved more like a dog, even to the extent of going on holiday with them. Caused some surprise when booking self-catering cottages, the firms were very used to people asking about dogs but taking a cat on holiday? Sorry, I think I've misheard you. Oh, no I haven't. Errr.... 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Here's something for our guitar playing music lovers.

The toccata from Widor's 5th is well known as one of my favourites preferably played on a Cavaille-Coll pipe organ, but I came across this, and was intrigued!

Brilliant.

Our Lead Guitarist has a Roland thingy for when we do Dire Straits and House of the Rising Sun etc.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1