The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I 6then wrapped it in polythene and took it deep into the forest and it's now well away from a track and behind a rock.   Now it's time to wait for sone friends to arrive for lunch.

They'll know where to find you, being so far from the track? ;)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

Afternoon.

Cloudy and cold here in the Midlands.

Three days of wasting my time.

Weekends tend to be a lot quieter at the moment and as my colleague is intent on taking over, I have very little to do.  But at least I can do all my admin work and catch up with other stuff I suppose.

Started painting the wall between our neighbour and us a week ago.  Been too cold to finish it.  Chose black.  Means any flowers in front of it will really pop in colour.  Will see, if it's no good, can just paint over it.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, BoD said:

Morning all

It would appear that I have court case against my name raised by HMRC.  I could be going to jail.

I hope prisoners are allowed a model railway club.

I'm not too sure about the scalpels and soldering iron though.

Valerie has packed my bag already.

I will let you know what the cake is like there.

Have you been called by national insurance yet?:jester:

• Funny 15

23 hours ago, jonny777 said:

On the subject of the Royal Mail, my postwoman was very apologetic yesterday because a tall but thin cardboard container was leaking fluid, and the sorting office had wrapped the package in a plastic bag, with a number for me to phone for compensation. 

She seemed somewhat relieved when I said the contents were iris plants and the sender had probably added some water to keep them alive in transit. 

Still, I am glad that they have taken so much care in my package. 

The irises have been planted by the pond this morning and I hope they like it there. 

Iris are a bit of a peculiar genus- probably why I like them. Iris SiberIca prefer a 'wet' root zone whereas iris germanica are the exact opposite liking a dry free draining one. Flag iris are extremely robust and will tough it out no matter what the situation. 

Edited by Winslow Boy
Spell checker doesn't like Latin.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BoD said:

Morning all

It would appear that I have court case against my name raised by HMRC.  I could be going to jail.

I hope prisoners are allowed a model railway club.

I'm not too sure about the scalpels and soldering iron though.

Valerie has packed my bag already.

I will let you know what the cake is like there.

Pay attention to a certain line that refers to a "fudge cake":

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

3 morning on the trot, phone rings at about 9am.

Automated voice says, This is Amazon Prime, we have deducted £399 from your account for an outstanding order, press 1 to speak to our line manager.

At that point the phone is put down.

I / we don't have an Amazon Prime Account.

I / we have never ordered from Amazon and won't because of this.

Other than that, its been a nice day.

Stay well and keep safe one and all.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

31 minutes ago, BoD said:

These scams must catch some people out otherwise it wouldn't be worth their while.

Unfortunately those likely to be caught out are the most vulnerable and least likely to be able to afford to be caught out.  I'm thinking dear old Grannies here.

To me the perpetrators are pure scum*.

*other pejoratives are available.

We know someone who has been caught by the ‘parcel waiting’ scam within the last week. He is not a dear old grannie, but a retired successful businessman - we were very surprised to hear about it. Apparently the scammer was positively charming on the phone, they had a nice casual conversation as the details were passed over.

Their bank have agreed to refund the money taken from the account - a significant sum, but fortunately they hadn’t cleared the account out. Apparently, the bank were under no obligation to do so. If you’ve handed over your details voluntarily, and the bank have followed proper procedures, you have no claim against them. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

We regularly get calls from numbers that are not on our contact list, so it shows up as unknown. Any calls like that go straight to the answering machine. If they don't leave a message, they don't get called back. Occasionally, if I'm in a playful mood I'll answer stating that "this is xxxxx engineering, can I help?" That usually makes them hang up. I've never yet spoken to anyone. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

Interesting! I wonder where in Edinburgh?

Here.

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers (ESME) Almondell 7¼” gauge Circuit drivers eye view: https://youtu.be/3SoJ6ihWWio

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers (ESME) Almondell 5” & 3½” gauge circuit drivers eye view: https://youtu.be/ll13jSY9YGs

Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers Website: https://edinburgh-sme.org.uk/

Scottish Model Engineering Trust (SMET) Wester Pickston Drivers Eye View: https://youtu.be/6vSStE22Udg

Scottish Model Engineering Trust (SMET) Website: https://smet.org.uk/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1