The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes. Absolutely, especially if CAKE or CAKE-LIKE substances were involved.

In fact, I suspect that P Bear would make a trusty minion for Captain Cynical were sufficient CAKE on offer....

Bears don't "do" Minion....:nono:

Though it is heart-warming to know that Capt. C suspects that Bear would be considered "Trusty".  Your cake is safe in Bear's paws, have no fear.....:rofl:

Recent data peg the average US male at 90Kg, the average UK male at 82Kg and the average Euro male at 70kg. 

Bear was an "average" UK Male last April-ish, and is now an average Euro Male.  More cake needed, obviously.

In other news:

Bear has inspected 143 floor tiles for defects prior to arrival of the Tiler on monday -week; one tile had a very slightly chipped edge on one corner, so that has been marked with a bit of tape and can live underneath a kitchen unit, or be used in a location requiring cutting.  Door frame painted, paint stripped from pipework (Bear had forgotten the joys of full-fat Nitromors on bare skin - now reminded), din dins done, then walls prepped for priming tomorrow.

Also researching the choice of "durable" and "scrubbable" matt and eggshell paints for the walls; Bear also came across an interesting snippet regarding oil-based white paint for interior woodwork.  As many may know, such paint has a habit of yellowing over time (made significantly worse in recent years due to changes imposed by the relevant authorities on paint manufacturers); woodwork not receiving light (such as the inside of a cupboard door, or skirting behind a bed) fares the worst.  Bear read today that such yellowing can be delayed & reduced if the paint receives light as it is drying.  No idea if it is total rollox or not, but the kitchen and bathroom lights are staying on for a good few hours....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

In my view the only way t make tea is in a pot - which has fu irst been warmed.  However tea bags can be convenient on occasion si they have their uses but I always try to make sure that I squeeze them out (using the spoon) before removing them from the cup - a trick I picked up in Aus.

Tea made with loose leaves in a pre-warmed pot is far better than bagged tea made in a mug.  But, as you say, horses for courses and I'm not going to get up 15 minutes earlier every day just to brew up in a pot for one.  I'll stick with the routine which is kettle on - toast in - kettle boils - pour into pre-bagged mug - toast pops - spread toast - de-bag tea and insert milk.  

Aussies don't seem to drink a lot of tea but squeezing out the bag on the spoon is definitely a thing there.  

Which reminds me.  It's a good couple of hours since my last mugger.  Time to excite the water in the blue device ;) 

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, polybear said:

Though it is heart-warming to know that Capt. C suspects that Bear would be considered "Trusty".  Your cake is safe in Bear's paws, have no fear.....:rofl:

Captain Cynical is a firm but fair Minion employer. Should Mr P Bear’s situation in the UK change and he finds himself bereft of CAKE with little prospect of it on the horizon; he would be welcome to join the CC Team. With room and board provided, should Mr P Bear choose to take his salary in CAKE (above and beyond the standard Minion cake-ration) he is more than welcome to take his renumeration in LDC (Lemon Drizzle Cake).

However, although Captain Cynical tolerates insubordination (nothing worse than being surrounded by “yes men”), theft of Captain Cynical’s, or any Minion’s, property is dealt with harshly (the last Minion who thought he could commit theft with impunity is now helping support the Gotthard Base Tunnel...)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Car died - well, not quite, but had a sever issue, while returning from picking up the Indian meal, looks like the right rear spring/strut may have taken leave of its anchor point :O

Car deposited at local service garage, they may not be able to get to it until Friday. Having Jemma rent a car at the airport for the weekend, so we have transport for her and Mrs.

-2 and sunny, headed for +5. Snow far receding.

Tally ho.

Is that an Asian Indian or Red Indian meal there.........................................................?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I love a Minion, my grandkids got Santa to get me one a couple of years back, obviously they insisted on the farting Stuart one 

We would go into the toy shop set one off and the three of us stood there chuckling, the shop owner threatened to throw us out if we didn't stop doing it lol.

I hate the things! they give me the creeps!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I soaked a large piece of tissue in after shave and jammed it inside my mouth in the general area of the swelling. I left it there for about an hour and then went to bed. I took the tissue out of my mouth before I lay down and just hoped that I could get to sleep. 

In the event, I slept very well and when I woke up in the morning, not only had the pain vanished, but so had the swollen area of my gums. I had no more trouble for the rest of my stay. I assume the bacteria had been driven away by the alien environment of after shave. 

You Brut!

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Funny 18

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Is that an Asian Indian or Red Indian meal there.........................................................?

The Asian Indian variety... for the record, the second term here would be Native American, all over references are definitely discouraged/verboten! :O

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I also watched Ben Fogle in Chernobyl. Very interesting some nutters though especially those who broke in to the hospital basement which was full of highly radioactive firefighters equipment.

That is reminiscent of the Goiania Incident in Brazil. A small capsule of isotope used in Xray equipment was nicked  with some other equipment from an  abondoned hospital for scrap value.

Ended up in four deaths, the demolition of several houses and the wholesale removal of topsoil from several sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

49 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There were reports the other week that unscrupulous folk were using some form of bot to bag ps5s and then resell.At inflated prices 

These "scalpers" as they are known are notorious at these times. EBay has plenty of these people selling the console for inflated prices. I would sooner wait than give money to these people. Whilst the ethics of the practise is debatable, the one thing that can be said is such purchases would not have the same security as one made from a known retailer in the event of something going wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

In my view the only way t make tea is in a pot - which has fu irst been warmed.  However tea bags can be convenient on occasion si they have their uses but I always try to make sure that I squeeze them out (using the spoon) before removing them from the cup - a trick I picked up in Aus.

Thats actually to make sure we kill any spiders in them.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 17

25 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

That is reminiscent of the Goiania Incident in Brazil. A small capsule of isotope used in Xray equipment was nicked  with some other equipment from an  abondoned hospital for scrap value.

Ended up in four deaths, the demolition of several houses and the wholesale removal of topsoil from several sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

The basement had been filled in but the guide did say a fireman helmet had been taken that was highly radioactive. There was also a room where dressings from injured firefighters had been dumped they were highly radioactive

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had an excellent Zoom presentation by one of our (SEERS) members who now resides in Edinburgh. He is heavily involved with miniature railways and runs his own 7 1/4 inch gauge locomotive, very interesting. Now to catch up with Farcebook.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18