The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from Sidcup where mist is shrouding the view from the "office" window in a light veil.

I don't drink tea but do drink black coffee. I find the chains vary from shop to shop and day to day. I used to always prefer Costa to the rest except the long since departed Seattle Coffee Co, but nowadays, the local Caffe Nero seems to selling a less harsh roast which is nice.

I don't really do Starbucks but we did drink quite a bit a couple of years ago on our West Coast journey. Having said that, the best coffee we had was a tie between the drink we had in an independent place in Seaside Oregon and another in Fort Bragg California. 

I prefer a cafetiere or even a percolator over aeropress or whatever they like to call the system for making the coffee in the chains. That definitely changes the way the coffee tastes.

Our group's coffee house supplies coffee to a lot of the chains in various countries as well as the coffee producers themselves. Having tasted some of the coffee at a tutored cupping session, I know they supply good coffees; I guess it is what is done with them. Our US coffee subsidiary has an operation which sells smaller parcels of green or roasted beans to independent stores or for home consumption. Maybe that is the way to go!

I too will have to watch or at least listen to the budget today. I suspect that we will hear of future pain in the form of tax rises  but nothing that hits quite yet.

• Like 16

11 hours ago, andyram said:

It begin with a fruitless online search for an item this morning. Placed said item in trolley at Argos. Got to check out - then found listed as unavailable for both pick up at all local stores and home delivery. Then it appeared as available to collect in Long Eaton, but when I proceeded to payment screen it was back out of stock again. The same cycle was repeated 4-5 times over the hour before it booted me out completely. Amazon showed stock, but jumped straight to error screens too so no success.

PS5? 

I have been trying to get one for Elder Lurker with a similar lack of success and frustration, although you appear to have got closer with Argos than me!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. In the news this morning, Fraggle Rock is back in quarantine I see. No doubt Neil will fill us in on the details. As Tony said its  bit foggy hereabouts, hope it clears soon before I go out. I have my heating on low all the time but having a new boiler fitted last September has reduced my gas consumption as well. When I was working I had the central heating on a timer as the house was empty during the day. Since I retired I've had it on 24/7 at a set temperature but I've never noticed any change in gas consumption. The house is well insulated and I had the loft insulation topped up only a few years ago. Muggatee to be drunk so its be back later.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I rang the dentist surgery. I can go for my throbbing tooth to be looked at at 11.30 today. We seem to do well in what some call  the postcode lottery of healthcare. Normally we can see the dentist’s surgery but it is shrouded in mist/fog today.   The receptionist always recognises my voice so I must sound different to most people round here. They don’t have any caller display technology. Everything is quite traditional (paper filing system, cash or cheque) except for the dental equipment. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

Morning, foggy and cold again, we should have had the Aurora last night, but not in the fog and cloud we didn't. Of coffee and tea, I no longer drink either much, son in law is a coffee nut, paid a fortune for a fancy machine to make his fancy drinks at home, when out I will join him in Starbucks for a coffee, especially if he's paying, it tastes inoffensive to me. I tend to drink water out of the tap more than anything else these days.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning al,

Currently cold and misty. but itis promised to warm up later-  when the yellow rain arrives.  I find coffee the most disappointing drink I have ever come across, the only thing that was in any way worse was some Bulgarian plum brandy I had in Poland in the years before glasnost.  My big problem with coffee is that the decent stuff smells very nice but the taste doesn't come up to the aroma hence disappointment.  When I'm on the mainland (of Europe) there is really little choice but to drink it as the foreigners have not the faintest idea of how to make tea so I have little choice but to consume black coffee (hoping to find some decent tasting stuff) plus a considerable quantity of sugar.  Much to my surprise it took me a long time to find a decent brand of tea for 'home' use when I was working in Aus - there's some right rubbish on the market over there but eventually i found a really good one so ceased to worry about my working visit being extended.

As we havea modern bult house we have loads of insulation and, obviously, double glazing, and we got very high marks on the compulsory leakage test after completion.   So the boiler isn't on all the time except when it gets really arctic like.  we have the advantage too of solar panels for water heating on teh southern end of the roof which also makes a difference. And when we fire up the wood burner it is very good at producing an excellent output and over this winter it is mainly burning the results of the tree surgeon's attentions to our own trees.

Kitchen has now been very thoroughly decontaminated by the management and GD and the latter even managed to shift out the range cooker and had a good clean up behind it as well.  She found four stray screws, presumably from the cooker which clearly had not been taken out by ratty and which equally clearly didn't have anywhere to reinsert them, strange!  there were also two stray ,thin, and very short, earth leads which were only long enough to be attached to the same bits of metal they were attached to at the other end and no where which would take any of four different patterns of screw.  I wonder what the odds are of getting a service manual and/or wiring diagram for a 13 year old cooker of a design which is no longer made and where the brand name has been long sold off by the original manufacturer?

Have a good day one and all

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

the decent stuff smells very nice but the taste doesn't come up to the aroma hence disappointment.

Same with fish & chips often as not ;) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder what the odds are of getting a service manual and/or wiring diagram for a 13 year old cooker of a design which is no longer made and where the brand name has been long sold off by the original manufacturer?

The internet knows everything.  I found a pdf file someone had uploaded of the instructions for an old 1960s Dansette record-player.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The internet knows everything.  I found a pdf file someone had uploaded of the instructions for an old 1960s Dansette record-player.  

And odd to remark I have just managed to get the correct one off the 'net.  There is no mention if any green wires in the wiring diagram so that's taht one sorted by default.   alas the diagram is a block diagram and it doesn't give the spec for any particular wire and this model is n longer made.  Espares will be my next r target - they send me enough promotional emails so they must like me ;) (maybe)

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I have found that our "ferrari" (a Gaggia coffee machine) woks really well with Lavazza D'or.. not cheap but it makes excellent coffee. Not tried the Rossa or Decaf yet..

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Agreed.

I found a scorecard which had me scoring a 50 in 1996 in the opposition club's website. 

I hadn't imagined there would be any such records, especially as the club I played for has long since merged with another, if, indeed, it still exists.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Talking of coffee I remember my mother had a bottle of Camp Coffee used exclusively for making coffee sponges - nobody would drink it as a cip of coffee.

I am a confirmed tea drinker but one of my closest friends is Italian. When I go there his Irish wife makes really good coffee with a fancy machine. When he offers to make coffee if she is not there I ask for tea as his coffee is really strong - you could stand a spoon up in it!

My younger daughter has the same machine and it also makes excellent coffee.

Regards to you all on yet another dismal day,

Dave

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Mike - sorry I'm late responding to this - have a look at Booklaw publications of Nottingham - they seem to be advertising almost every volume at £9.99 - I think they may now be the publishers ?

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/yeadon-registers.html?page=all

Booklaw are indeed the current publishers and they always have a huge range of Yeadons on their stalls. A good company to deal with.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Another coffee drinker, fliter at home, usualy Weatherspoons therefore Lavazza when out. If I go into C or S I allways ask for single shot americano, I know that you are supposed to be able to float a horseshoe on it but I draw the line at the horse & rider as well.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2