The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But would you drink cyanide if it were free? 

I think the majority who've drunk it, did get it for free...

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Ian. Done absolutely nothing today except for some eyelid inspection, and the sudoku and crosswords in the paper, now to get dinner ready, tandori chicken.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Apropos of nothing in particular ...

A good few moons ago I used to write computer programs and enjoyed doing so.  When I no longer had to do so, I made the decision to cease as it could be a very time consuming and sometimes a 'hair pulling out' activity.  So, could someone please explain to me why on earth I have bought an Arduino starter kit and am now sitting here hunting missing semicolons and logic errors whilst at the same time having to pick up a new computer language. 

Actually I'm enjoying it again, now that I have the time.

Cos it its all about being a "hobby"???

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

21 minutes ago, BoD said:

... why on earth I have bought an Arduino starter kit and am now sitting here hunting missing semicolons and logic errors whilst at the same time having to pick up a new computer language. 

Never really got into programming.

I wish I did.  Started it at college but completely did not understand it.

It's one of those things that I wish I knew but don't want to learn it as it looks quite dull.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Now Mr Bear that all depends upon your interpretation of 'cake' doesn't it? Does it have a preserve in it? Yes. Is it made out of sponge? Yes. So what do we say now Mr Bear? Yes it is a cake.

Go and stand in the corner and think about what you tried to do and when you finish thinking about it we may send you a piece of cake if you apologise to the ER's. You naughty bear.

Just to clarify, how much of a *may* is that, and how big is the cake??

Signed,  A Naughty Bear

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Been promised an Indian take-out for dinner from my favorite place, followed by the Mrs specialty cheese-cake which she makes for me every year - YUM.

Sadly I can't invite Bears or Hippos over, so I'll have to finish it all myself <burp>... :jester:

Does @Happy Hippo see a common theme emerging here by any chance? :cry:

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Apropos of nothing in particular ...

A good few moons ago I used to write computer programs and enjoyed doing so.  When I no longer had to do so, I made the decision to cease as it could be a very time consuming and sometimes a 'hair pulling out' activity.  So, could someone please explain to me why on earth I have bought an Arduino starter kit and am now sitting here hunting missing semicolons and logic errors whilst at the same time having to pick up a new computer language. 

Actually I'm enjoying it again, now that I have the time.

I presume you've been here already ?? --> https://www.arduino.cc

Pretty helpful, and downloading the Arduino IDE application in the downloads section will make things easier also. Does some pretty good syntax checking and uploading to the board functions...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

18 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Consider me vexed.

In truth this vexation is really the result of something incommodious rather than anything serious.

Today's weather was nice. There was hazy sunshine and temperatures over 15°C. This motivated me to take care of a chore - recycling bottles.

In 1971, Oregon was the first state to implement state-wide refunds on glass and plastic bottles and beverage cans. As an example, beer bottles have a refund value of 5 cents. In practice, based on the time involved, it's more of an incentive to recycle than being meaningfully remunerative.

Gathering a largish collection of bottles I headed for the local drop off point. When installed, this location had four machines that read label bar codes. Two of these were removed and replaced with a program where you bring your empties in a green bag. I don't use this approach. To get a refund, your green bags have an identifying bar code. It's my hang-up, but it's bad enough driving around with a mobile location tracker/telephone, but to identify my garbage so it can be tracked in a database is going too far.

With the pandemic, one of the two remaining machines was taken off-line - for social distancing, which of course caused the opposite to happen, since people had to queue twice as much for the one remaining machine.

What I hadn't realized is that the state had decided to not enforce the requirement to accept containers in counties designated extreme or high risk for CoViD-19 transmission and now both of the machines were off-line.

So I spent the afternoon taking empty beer bottles for a drive and had to rearrange the garage to store them again.

Apparently, now that the relevant county has been reduced to "moderate" CoViD risk, the drop off location in question will be required to accept containers on Wednesday. "Missed it by *that* much!"

How very Oregonish!  Here there is a big container situated by the local food bank.  Two holes with instructions on clear or green bottles; the only problem is that there is no separation inside!  So everything gets tossed in a big pile!:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Thats the WA way!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I presume you've been here already ?? --> https://www.arduino.cc

Yes, thank you Ian. That was my starting point. In the computer control forum on here there are links to a couple of series of videos/tutorials which are quite good and enough to keep me going for a while.  There is certainly plenty of helpful ‘stuff’ out there.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Hey... what part of FREE did you miss :jester::jester:

None, the only Starbucks that I ever had was free and I could not even finish the cup it was so bad. Maybe three  small sips and that was it.

Our drivers (Broward County Transit) said that MacDonald's, 7-11, and Circle K had the best coffee. They should know.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

(forgot to add earlier)

In other news, looking at a couple of car seats.

Halfords online exclusive but as I get some money off if ordering vouchers online, then I asked if there's something that can be done.

Fair play to them, they said I could order them online to collect but ask for a refund straight away.  Then re-purchase the same seats in the store using the vouchers.  While it may seem complicated and silly, at least it's a solution instead of the blanket "no" I was expecting.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There is a guy on You Tube diy and digital railroad i think the. Channel is called he even made a dcc controller with an arduino a motor shield and a raspberry Pi 

Raspberry pi? No, but I did have a cherry Danish the other day. :jester:

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

...snip...  Started it at college but completely did not understand it. It's one of those things that I wish I knew but don't want to learn it as it looks quite dull.

I started a programming course on a VA "scholarship" after getting out of the Navy. The languages were AL, RPG, and COBOL*. I wonder if any of those are still used. All that I now remember is that RPG was reasonably straight forward in its construction.

*      AL = Assembly Language

RPG = Report Program Generator

COBOL = COmmon Business Oriented Language

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yes,

Much more of this and I'm going to have to flounce off in a right old huff!

That is an earth-shaking thought!

BTW, would that be a 1934 or a 1935 Huff?

• Funny 13

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

None, the only Starbucks that I ever had was free and I could not even finish the cup it was so bad. Maybe three  small sips and that was it.

Our drivers (Broward County Transit) said that MacDonald's, 7-11, and Circle K had the best coffee. They should know.

In Australia Starbucks was here for 7 years, lost $105 million and had to close 61 outlets on their way out.

Their idea of 'coffee' isn't the same as ours.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Round of applause 1