The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Updated 

Not all is as red or blue as the bars shown. On look north for yorkshire on Friday evening data was displayed showing a large increase in cases in Leeds.  No reason was given..well it happens that they tested the young offenders in the prison in wetherby and, guess what? A large number of them are positive. Hence a big increase.. most of the city is showing reductions in  cases. Just shows..never mind the data check it to find out why things are increasing.. ( note the same thing happened in Rutland.). As an engineer my job was not just to look at data but find the root cause of why it was at that level which seems to beyond those in the journalist jobs.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

School friends - still in regular touch with five from grammar school, two of whom were also at primary school with me. We didn't actually see a lot of each other for quite a few years, just keeping in touch via greetings cards, round robin letters and suchlike, then about twenty years ago we started having annual get-togethers as well as other visits and three of us even meet up in Spain every now and then. Since Covid kicked in we've been having Zoom meetings.

Foreign language accents - apparently I speak German with a Munich accent; no idea why unless my school German teacher had such an accent and passed it on. I'm told by German friends that at least it isn't an English accent, which is apparently a compliment. I have an ex-RAF buddy who has a gift for languages and can speak French with (I am told) quite convincing Parisian and other  regional accents.

My Dad used to have a work colleague named Doctor Wang who was 100% Chinese but spoke with a pronounced Glaswegian accent, which seemed quite incongruous on first meeting.

Dave

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Dad, drops into a Glaswegion accent when he speaks to someone from there, though he's never lived there, granddad was from there, and he visited several times as a child.

Mum drops into West country when speaking to my aunt or uncle.

My sister's speak with a Lothian accent, but more English to my parents.

My brother Lothian when up there, but English moving towards Yorkshire with his family.

Me,,  my accent is lost somewhere, I've been accused of a posh accent, which is somewhat odd, as that ain't what I be. I've had and lost several accents over the years, Cypriot, Northern Irish, West country etc.  I can't do a proper Norfolk accent as I drop into West country.

Well, from Combe Martin's chart we have an increasing rate, but North Norfolk being  near the bottom of the chart, with a comparatively small population, it only needs one or two extra to be a big increase.

I had one school friend from my last school, we kept in contact with for a few years, but he became a trainee manager for Menzies as I was in the RAF, and during each of our various moves we eventually lost contact.

Time for more sleep.

• Like 13

School friends:

5 hours ago, andyram said:

Steve and Dean. Steve and I were best mates in primary school and this friendship continued into the early years of secondary before we ended up in many separate classes for GCSE and the friendship began to wane. ...

As Steve ended up in other classes, he got in with another group of people. Sadly some of these proved to bullies and I was one of their victims.

Andy's experiences remind me of my best friend in primary school who lived up the road. As lads, he taught me how to play chess and we both liked to build Airfix kits. By the time we were seniors in high school we had drifted apart and he was close to a mutual friend (in all my classes and son to a popular member of staff at the school) and someone who was both a class clown and bully to some, including me.

During my second year at university, my friend (after an evening out drinking with these two mates) drove into a tree on the side of the road. All three of them were in the car, but only survivor was the bully. He was asleep in the back seat.

Theirs was the saddest funeral I have attended. It was held at the school. Pretty much the whole senior class, then about 18 or 19 years of age, attended.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

6 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and clearing up but no plastering ...

Case rate in the US has dropped dramatically since early January (with a slight uptick in the last couple of days).

While the drop in case rate is encouraging, the rolling, weekly average of daily new diagnoses is slightly higher than the magnitude of the peak of the 'second wave' in early July of 2020.

• Like 13

Morning all,

So, another week of work awaits. Today will be a rather long one as I have a 9:30 teleconference this evening. But Hey Ho, it brings in the dosh.

The Swiss Health Ministry (BAG) have loosened restrictions a little bit (as of today) which means I can go back to the Dog Club with the Wolfpack and resume their training (during the most severe restrictions, I have been giving them walks on the leash which they enjoy-given the innumerable opportunities for sniffing new smells-but  being at the Dog Club will provide them with a lot of off leash exercise).

As for old friends from school, I haven’t retained any friendships from primary or secondary school and the one friendship I did retain from my university days I broke off several years ago as he turned out to be a complete and utter self-centred, selfish p1llock who was (is?) heading firmly and resolutely into “tin foil hat“ territory. I do have, however, some good friends that I made when I started my career and we keep in regular, but the sporadic, touch. As I am not on farcebook, I don’t have an easy method to look for, and perhaps find, old school chums (or old flames for that matter) nor would I really want to. Apart from a certain curiosity about how their lives may have turned out, I doubt that there would be any points of common contact after 40, 50 or even 60 years of separation. But, there again, I have always been somewhat of a Waldgänger.

As for accent: I suppose my English accent can be characterised as RP (though I can do a credible East Ender and a slightly less credible “Good Ole Southern Boy”) My Italian, German and French are all heavily English accented (not quite “Officer Crabtree Territory”, but heading that way...). Not being able to do a credible accent is somewhat limiting from an acting perspective. However given the number of “gritty, realistic” plays of the “kitchen sink drama” genre being produced and performed locally (i.e. zero), my inability to convincingly sound like a Durham miner has not impeded my (very modest) acting career.

And on that thespian note I leave you with this quote: “A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.” (William Shakespeare), I’m off to be foolish...

iD

• Like 15

Greetings one and all

It felt a bit odd to say the least.  At 7 am yesterday I was booking a set for an evening theatre performance of Riverdance six months hence.  Whether it would have been better, or more user-friendly of the website, at a later hour is difficult to assess but one glance at the seating plan for my chosen evening told me that I was not a moment too soon.  I have a seat in the back row of the circle, which should not be too bad for a show in which the stage will be filled with dancers.  Before I started working out how the website worked I jotted down some dates and places.  By securing a seat in relatively nearby Milton Keynes I have saved myself the prospect of a long drive to Cardiff or Bristol or not quite such a long one to Cambridge.  It will be interesting to compare the 2021 version of Riverdance with the one which hit an unsuspecting world during the Eurovision Song Contest in April 1994.  How will I remain patient for six whole months?

Old friends: it has distressed me for many years now just how easy it is to lose touch.  I am in touch with one from primary school days.  We were thrown together in 1955 and have the niche interest of trolleybus destination blinds in common!  From the posh school in Hammersmith but two contacts survive and much the same is true of the quiet country grammar school to which I moved in 1962.  One contemporary from university phones from time to time.  How, then, do I manage to send 70 seasonal greetings cards at Xmas?  My e-friend Harry, who is far too busy for his own good making Amazon even richer and himself with it, is not short of people he met at school or university with whom to go places and you cannot believe how envious I am.  I suspect there is a generational component here.

Finally, has anyone else noticed that it is difficult to do anything other than ‘like’ a post?  I have just tried to endorse a couple of posts with the heart symbol but the technology will only let me ‘like’ them and it’s not appropriate to do so.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Updated 

Wow, the work gone into that.

The 'bad' news is that all the local areas are well in the top quadrant of this extensive list.  Local news has said that main town in our local area in Derbyshire has most of the 'increases'.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6