The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, another chilly but splendid one here.

NHS no shows - just had a conversation with a friend yesterday evening, he has a man-problem, hydrocele, and is in a lot of pain with a testicle several sizes too big currently.  Oooch. :bad:  he was absolutely furious and needed to vent.

He got a letter yesterday for his emergency appointment with the man-bits Consultant, however the appointment was for.....the previous day.  So he phones the department, to be told he was a no-show, and they started to give him a bollo....err...tell him off, big time, for wasting NHS resources etc.  He isn't too pleased at this point as you might imagine, and demands to have the no-show taken off his record and an emergency appointment early next week as he knows they have them.  The admin then is telling him there is no such thing etc etc, until the point he tells them his role in the same hospital.  Clinical Complaints and Claims Manager.  There are emergency slots, he can see them in the system.....he's working (uncomfortably) at home and is logged in to the same screen as Ms Unhelpful!  He has a Monday appointment. 

While on NHS, out of the blue Mrs NHN was asked to speak to the Deputy CEO yesterday, and when she went to the ivory tower, the DCEO asked her to be honest and open about why she was leaving!  An hour later, the DCEO has made a LOT of notes and declared herself appalled at what has gone on. Just maybe, some changes may be happening slightly higher up the food chain.  What goes around.....

Not wishing to pour cold water on yours and good missus hopes but I wouldn't hold your breath.

There is one thing I learnt about local government and that it doest move very quickly. It is extremely difficult to get someone dismissed for incompetence even when it is blatent and even 'encouraging' them to move on can be dangerous because of the likely hood of it backfiring- more so given the fact that you are on a small island.

Even so it will have helped Ms NHN to have talked about it.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You’re having a larf, aren’t you? Surely even the most partisan of supporters has the brains to put aside petty sporting rivalries and look after his/her well-being and that of his/her neighbours? If not, the words “foolish” and “cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face” jump, unbidden, to mind. 

If there had been no alternative then I might have had to blindfold myself and put a peg on my nose ;)  

“Petty” is not the word. Dyed-in-the-wool supporters consider the rivalry to be a matter of life and death. Petty it isn’t. This is serious.  This rivalry is deep-seated and expressed with passion. And sometimes a bit nastier.  That said there are one or two fans who will drink together on neutral territory “out of hours”

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Nice and sunny after overnight frost once again with the same promised for tomorrow so no doubt we'll see a pretty good imitation of National Lemming Weekend as the Covidiots come out in force.

My day is already settled(ish) with the W word top of the list once my mind is in gear to read back yesterday's amendments and see if they make as much sense now as they did when I wrote them, fingers crossed.  The G word has been mentioned but without including my name while the V word has been very firmly mentioned in connection with my name but I can always play (or try to play) the W word deadline card if needed.  

And of course Flavio obviously set out to ruin my day by striking terror in my heart with a mention, invariably accompanied by condemnation, of the frightening words 'Danish Bacon'.  Nowadays I understand it is something like 75% water held together by a sort of indoor bred version of pig flesh; it is not allowed in this house under any circumstances as we already have a mains water supply and prefer bacon which tastes like bacon and doesn't shrink to the size of a postage stamp when introduced to heat.  

I can remember the Houses I was in at both junior and grammar schools but I can't really remember the names of the others.  Coincidentally at both junior and grammar school the colour for my house was red, on a small badge at junior school (Curie) and a red blazer badge at grammar school (Hambeldon).  There were three houses at the latter school and one of the others was Periam - easy to remember as it was named after the lady who in 1609 founded one the original schools which subsequently merged with the one founded in 1604 under a charter granted by James I.  can't think what the name of the other one was.  

And the houses meant not very much except in/on the field of various sports where inter-house events took place all found the year except in rowing where there weren't enough of us involved to crew more than one four with a few reserves.  However latterly, after we'd restored it, we did manage to crew an eight but not at all well so we never rowed it competitively..   Which is less than can be said for one old boy who won a Gold Medal for rowing in the 1948 Olympics (Bert Bushnell).

Have a good day a one and all and try to stay safe as  the lemmings launch themselves forth upon the land.

PS No activity beyond occasional smoking behind the bike shed and bys and girls were segregated during free time outdoors.  But one couple in my year reputedly managed to 'go all the way' on the lawn in front of the main building one dark evening on the occasion of a school dance -  a story I can quite believe knowing both of them.  

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day, but it's quite cool. I've just wiped down the bench below the workshop window for the first time this year, hopefully I'll be able to sit on it later with my mid morning muggertea. 

Currently in the workshop about to start working on the test track to turntable extension. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thanks.  DCEO is a 'new broom' and from 'outside', so you never know!  We both have spent enough time in the civil service to know how things work (or don't), NHS admin here is civil service, oddly, not NHS directly as in the UK.  It was helpful for her to know that someone has 'noticed' something not right in the department, and to be able to talk it through without it becoming a slagging act.  There are BIG changes under way here, with the splitting apart of the 'Department' of health and social care from the delivery side, which is to become 'Manx Care'.  The new CEO and DCEO have been brought in to 'sort it out' so the opportunity is there like never before - whether it results in anything actually happening, as you say, remains to be seen!

Ah had a few of them throughout my career. The outsider brought it to shoot a few of the walking dead and then swoop of to pastures new. I wish them luck. The memsarb probably got out just in time as often it is the 'trouble makers I.e the ones who actu ally get things done who seem to end up on the chopping block.

As to divisions of labour well where to start. Anybody remember the splitting off of the maintenance from the 'client' side in the 80's. Not dwelling on the politics of it but I do. What a great way to clear house of the less than able staff, not. What was forgotten was the fact that if they were incompetant before then it didn't much matter, now if they cocked up then whole entity could collapse.

There is only so much 'talent/competency in the gene pool and the smaller the pool the ........

• Like 12

It was thick fog in North Somerset when I went to the lav at 5.30, but by the time I came downstairs just after 8am the sky was blue and the sun was shining; which it looks like doing for the rest of daytime. 

If I am not mistaken, I can hear the distant sound of a lawn mower. 

I have been doing some contemplating, and decided to order Freesias to go with the flag irises by the pond. That should lengthen the flowering season somewhat - assuming the mice don't have them all for breakfast after I have planted them. 

On football rivalries, I remember watching grown men sobbing on the terraces when they realised a late goal by another local club had saved theirs from relegation about 5 minutes before the end of the last match of the season. It became obvious that allegiance to a team for many folk is something that is not going to be altered by any amount of mickey taking or puerile chanting by other teams' supporters. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe we are off for a walk soon now the post has been. I had a blood test form from the GP arrive, a packet of decals (what we used to call water slide transfers ) from the US ordered last weekend and some toy car bits ordered early yesterday. The car bits came from Lancashire. Earlier this week I ordered some slot car spares from a manufacturer in Spain. It will be interesting to see what happens. As the only other way of getting them would be very silly prices on eBay, even if I have to pay vat and Royal Mail collection fees I won’t be unhappy. 
Tony 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, andyram said:

....A little over the top answer if you do not mind me saying considering the fact my comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek....

No, Andrew, not at all. I don’t mind you saying that. I had suspected your comment would’ve been somewhat tongue in cheek, and I am very happy to stand corrected (Mind you my comment probably reveals my disdain for anything sporting. Like Lord Vetinari of Discworld fame, I believe any physical exercise beyond that necessary to keep one in good health and spirits is rather pointless)

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

...“Petty” is not the word. Dyed-in-the-wool supporters consider the rivalry to be a matter of life and death. Petty it isn’t. This is serious.  This rivalry is deep-seated and expressed with passion. And sometimes a bit nastier.  That said there are one or two fans who will drink together on neutral territory “out of hours”

The late, great, Terry Pratchett had something to say about this sort of thing. To loosely paraphrase, he said that when you have absolutely no power or influence over most of your life, the small things that you do have control over - such as which team you support or whether you model in EM or P4 - acquire a significance and importance in your life far out of proportion of their true importance and value.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

...of course Flavio obviously set out to ruin my day by striking terror in my heart with a mention, invariably accompanied by condemnation, of the frightening words 'Danish Bacon'.....

YES!!!! He’s still got it! :yahoo:

Even on his day off, Captain Cynical can still install abject terror and bowel loosening fear in the unsuspecting! (d*mn, I’m good). 

Now onto more important matters: CAKE!

Currently I have the cake part of the Cadburys Fruit and Nut Chocolate Bar inspired cake baking in the oven. Once I take it out and it is cool enough, I will give it its coat of chocolate. The cake will then be dispatched to Mrs iD’s cousin in a Bear and Hippo proof container accompanied by Mrs iD herself (plus Wolfpack).  And anyone trying to hijack the cake whilst it is in transit will seriously risk annoying Mrs ID. Even I, Captain Cynical, (who would fearlessly take on battalions of bears and hordes of hippos without blinking) would think twice about annoying Mrs iD.

Photos of CAKE may be taken!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Only finished breakfast an hour or so ago. Thats due to a long soak in the bath and a bit of eyelid inspection.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS No activity beyond occasional smoking behind the bike shed and bys and girls were segregated during free time outdoors.  But one couple in my year reputedly managed to 'go all the way' on the lawn in front of the main building one dark evening on the occasion of a school dance -  a story I can quite believe knowing both of them.  

We had very few female teachers in my school, there was Miss Arthur the music teacher who retired shortly before I left. A bit of a dragon but with a heart of gold. The other one was a lot younger, in her early twenties. I can't remember her name but she left after about a year heavily pregnant. What set tongues wagging was that she wasn't married. Acceptable today but not so sixty years ago. Especially as the father was reputed to be one of the sixth formers.:nono:

50 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I believe we are off for a walk soon now the post has been. I had a blood test form from the GP arrive, a packet of decals (what we used to call water slide transfers ) from the US ordered last weekend and some toy car bits ordered early yesterday. The car bits came from Lancashire. Earlier this week I ordered some slot car spares from a manufacturer in Spain. It will be interesting to see what happens. As the only other way of getting them would be very silly prices on eBay, even if I have to pay vat and Royal Mail collection fees I won’t be unhappy. 
Tony 

E-bay now automatically add 20% VAT to items coming from abroad on behalf of HMRC. Its on items over a certain amount, £65 IIRC. Its partly due to Brexit but also due to many Hong Kong traders in particular having a habit of putting a lower figure on the customs declaration. At least you avoid the Parcel Force fees which can be as much as if not more than the VAT. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

As promised: CAKE

BF268351-2F49-43F7-9CB6-7486BD9F7C73.jpeg.d21d1e7a736b6bec972afbe9c13803ab.jpeg

it’s now cooling in the fresh air and the chocolate coating solidifying.

Unfortunately, I am still not entirely happy with the outcome of the chocolate coating. Right now, I am using a chocolate glasur, which is basically melted chocolate; I am wondering if a chocolate icing might not do the trick (although it could be too sweet). The idea is to have a perfectly smooth chocolate layer (like a chocolate bar) over the sides and the top.

Apart from the chocolate coating - which isn’t quite where I wanted to be, I am otherwise very satisfied with the taste and texture of the cake.

Future modifications could include adding chocolate chips to the cake batter mix, or replacing the raisins with a mixture of different nuts of the kind that you would find in Cadbury chocolate bars (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts)

Any other suggestions?

iD

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi had a similar problem. Her family moved from Huddersfield to Heanor, the City of Derby,  the City of Nottingham and then the County of Nottingham all in a year. She had passed the 11+ in Yorkshire but somehow was put straight into the second year (Year 8 nowadays) in the County Grammar School. This meant she had great gaps in her knowledge of maths and science. Her family just assumed she was dim as she didn’t have the mathematical abilities of everyone else in the family. 

By the time I got to Grammar school I had all but lost any interest in education, I left before my exams were taken, yet when I got to college, I flew along passing with distinctions and finally set off on a decent career.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1