The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon,  the fire is smouldering  nicely but I still need to put some more stuff on this afternoon.  Beth has see the GP who is now giging AZ to those underv65. She advised Beth that we will get jabbed in April and that she will do it rather than trying to book at a centre.

As to school houses, they were Nowell, Carr, Shute, Stile, Paley and Morrison.  All had some connevtion with the school in days of yore. Mrrison gave a lot of money and paid for the school chapel and other things.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Happy Birthday Simon

Having started off this round of reminiscing I should add the houses from the other two schools I attended.

The school in Singapore (largely for expats of course) had 4 houses, St George's, St Patrick's, St David's, St Andrew's.

My secondary school was highly imaginative; Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta. At that school, there was a lot of inter-house rivalry, but when the head retired (which I think was the year I left) the incoming head abolished houses. Once he'd gone, houses re-emerged, named after famous alumni such as Duke (Neville Duke, WW2 ace), Lewin (Terence Lewin first sea lord during the Falklands I think) and others. When I last looked up the Alma Mater, I saw that due to expansion the houses had increased and had been renamed after former heads - including the guy who had abolished them!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I don’t recall any houses at the infant schools I attended. The first school had 3 classes in one big hall, only reception was in a separate room. Junior school was just A B C and D. Only A passed the 11+.

Secondary school had houses, Windsor, Harlech, Edinburgh and every other year Kinsale.

University had four colleges, Eliot, Rutherford, Keynes and Darwin. 
Tony

• Like 15

44 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Good Afternoon 

I have reached the ripe old age of 44 today

We had houses at high school

Atkinson

De lacey

King Edward

Lyon

All to do with the school and the town.

Many Happy Whatsits Simon, :good:I wish I was 44 again, cor blimey, would I do things differently.:banghead:

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from adry Charente.  I did manage a couple of hours trackside yesterday and did see some trains as well as having a good natter with Andy.  Today is fire day. I have our permit from the Mairie and in just over an  hour intend to try and get our garden rubbish burned.

Regards to all.

Jamie

I spend as many as twenty-four hours a day trackside. The Norfolk Southern "R" line is about three hundred and fifty feet behind my back door! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I model in 00, which is 1/76 and the model is 1/4 scale of that, so I think it works out as 1/304 scale:sorry_mini:

Bought a scanning electron microscope yet? :) That is way too small for my eyes.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Rounded off by finally sorting the dreaded chainsaw, a little pressed in cover in the carb wasn't in the service kit I bought, so didn't remove it before.  Being as there was nothing else I could see wrong, out it came as a new service kit had arrived with the required part in it, and there was what looked like a tea leaf, a little speck that obviously was moving and blocking a hole when fuel was required.  Full power test undertaken, and all is well, finally! 

How good does that feel?  :yahoo::dancer: :clapping:

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I am tempted to fit them to the car as dummies and wait until Halfords have a 'we fit them for you' offer.

Bear suspects (but am not sure) that such offers only apply if it was purchased from them....

• Like 12
  • Agree 1