The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I only bought this scales 'cos it was the cheapest, to get blue tooth it would have cost a whole £19..

see, I knew you had Yorkshire blood in you! :jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

Good Afternoon, Boys and Girls,

Another tedious day dissecting an important document written by young people (I say “young people” as old gits like me know their grammar, punctuation, sentence parsing and paragraph phrasing. AND without resorting to jargon).

Anyway, to help me endure this I’ve been listening to classical music - specifically modern classical music. Today it’s been Arvo Pärt, an Estonian composer of the most amazing secular and liturgical music. Forget the happy-clappy cra-p that trendy vicars inflict on their CofE congregations, this is real Majesty of God stuff!. This clip is of Pärt’s Nunc Dimittis (aka the Canticle of Simeon). I find it amazing and the soprano voices at 4:29 just.... well makes me shiver!

And back in the days when the British were still writing soul stirring music, Elgar came up with this - Lux Aeterna:

Normally I am not a fan of the Soprano or Alto voice (preferring Tenor and Bass voices) but there’s something about these two pieces of music that make the Soprano voice and the Alto voice sound so special and utterly awesome (as in “installing awe”).

Incidentally, I believe Lux Aeterna to be a reworking of Nimrod from The Enigma Variations. 

And whether you like or don’t like this particular style of choral music, I am pretty certain that people will still be listening to Arvo Pärt and Edward Elgar long after Britney Spears, Justin Bieber and all the other crappy acts of today have been long forgotten (although it would be quite an eye-opener to open a Music streaming service in 100 years time and find both Pink Floyd and the Edward Elgar listed under “classical music“)

Enjoy the evening!

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Stupid censor removed the word cra-p
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Visiting Tess Coes was necessary this afternoon for a few items that are running low such as milk.

28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I only bought this scales 'cos it was the cheapest, to get blue tooth it would have cost a whole £19..

I hope you or whoever set it up put the correct information in otherwise you get some strange readings. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Visiting Tess Coes was necessary this afternoon for a few items that are running low such as milk.

I hope you or whoever set it up put the correct information in otherwise you get some strange readings. 

I was tempted to put in either a very tall or very short height for SWMBO:diablo_mini:

51 minutes ago, Barry O said:

see, I knew you had Yorkshire blood in you! :jester:

Baz

SWMBO is Yorkshire, my brothers SWMBO is Yorkshire ( the afore mentioned Malton!!)

And we are of Scots descent what do you expect?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Ian,  didn't know I was that bored but did the adding up ...

iL Dottoro

"Normally I am not a fan of the Soprano or Alto voice (preferring Tenor and Bass voices) but there’s something about these two pieces of music that make the Soprano voice and the Alto voice sound so special and utterly awesome (as in “installing awe”).

Incidentally, I believe Lux Aeterna to be a reworking of Nimrod from The Enigma Variations".  = Quotes from iL Dottoro

Totally agree - the soprano and the sung version was phenomenal - the other also enjoyed.

Haunting and moving.

Edited by PeterBB
Attributing iL Dottoro blog comment.
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One thing is for certain, we will never return to where we were before the pandemic.

While not of medical bent, if it helps, I concur with the good doctor; its with us for the long haul!  So much for those who clamour for their jab in the hope that all will be normal afterwards.  At the very least, masks will be needed in many cases to the chagrin of those who reject them now.  Who knows where this pandemic is going, so more intrusions on normalcy may be forthcoming!

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John Wass said:

As far as I know Malton is on the border between North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire.

I knew it was somewhere beyond Watford Gap ;)  

The point being made was that with travel advised only within local areas and for "permitted reasons" why was a chap asking how to get from Clapham Junction to Malton?  I hope he didn't mean Malden ..... New or Manor :banghead:  The ticket said "Malton +" and wasn't priced for four stops down the line.  + means valid on the tube between London terminals when required as part of a through journey.  

The wind hasn't abated but has become quite warm.  SWMBO took a late evening stroll and returned somewhat surprised at the temperature.  No hint of the morning's chill now.  

G'night all.  If I don't get to bed I can't get up in the morning!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

1) What cockwomble decided there was a need for a gender reveal party in the first place?

2) What total moron, wanting to top the #1 idea, THEN decided that party should include dangerous incendiary and/or explosive devices?

Without, admittedly, any research or investigation, I'm fully expecting the origins and morons will be found to be in the US :(

With parents like this, God help the child!:banghead:

Brian

• Agree 12
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

An Americans view of the NHS.

How much does the illustrated US version cost the user?  Or their insurer?  What if you don't have health insurance?  How much does the UK version cost the patient out of pocket?  So which system is better?  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian

Sometimes it goes wrong in a "ha ha sucked in!" way.

This is not in the US but here which is embarrassing, I assume they are Collingwood supporters.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sometimes it goes wrong in a "ha ha sucked in!" way.

This is not in the US but here which is embarrassing, I assume they are Collingwood supporters.

Oh dear, what a shame :laugh:

(Does Bear sound sincere there?)

Well the Chrimbo pud seems to have pretty much chased off the dizziness :danced: .  Stocking up in case of a re-run could be an issue though.  Perhaps Bear should submit a paper to The Lancet?

And now for some justice at last:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-56170328

This'll take some clearing up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56117353

And finally, something cute:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-56175417

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian

I've often said if people had to pass a test before being allowed to breed, the worlds population would be in free fall. I overheard a conversation when at work a while back, some young lass was astonished there wasn't an app on how to rear a child....................................by now there probably is.........................what the hell happens if there's no phone signal who knows...................

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

How much does the illustrated US version cost the user?  Or their insurer?  What if you don't have health insurance?  How much does the UK version cost the patient out of pocket?  So which system is better?  

My last major hospital visit here was two days after diagnosis for colon cancer.  Private room with a view for five days cost around $90k with a successful outcome.  All paid by insurance; worth every penny!

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The chicken and bacon pie and chips went down very well and now I'm feeling full. 

18 minutes ago, brianusa said:

My last major hospital visit here was two days after diagnosis for colon cancer.  Private room with a view for five days cost around $90k with a successful outcome.  All paid by insurance; worth every penny!

Brian.

That sort of service is available in the UK if you go 'private' but it doesn't cost anything like that as the actual medical procedures are still free of charge and all you actually pay for are the 'extras'. I'm the first to admit that there's room for improvement in the NHS but its still something to be proud of.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14