The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

We diverted onto the Woodhead road as there was virtually no traffic in sight. It used to carry several thousand HGVs per day. A lot were European or Irish based. On Sundays there still used to be a large number because of the weekend restrictions on moving HGVs in France and Germany.

The walk has been walked, partly in the vicinity of the Woodhead road. Quite a lot more traffic but still well down on a normal Tuesday. The interesting 'statistic' was again the lack of foreign vehicles. 12 months ago at that time of day they would be about 25-30% of the total. This morning there was only one which was registered in Wexford.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. This time of year I usually get a cold and sniffles but this year the cold and sniffles haven't been as bad as usual and started a couple of months later as well. This is presumably down to the covid precautions, wearing of masks and restricting gatherings, I understand that the flu rates have dropped as well. I don't think we will get anywhere near back to normal for another three or four years and as Flavio said things will never be quite the same.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Agree 6

35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This is presumably down to the corvid precautions, ... and restricting gatherings,

we still crows and magpies in our back garden. At this time of year there seems to be an interspecies squabble over the conifers at the end of the garden. Last year the magpies claimed nesting rights and raised a good half dozen chicks to fledged maturity. I suspect they will win again this year.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

we still crows and magpies in our back garden. At this time of year there seems to be an interspecies squabble over the conifers at the end of the garden. Last year the magpies claimed nesting rights and raised a good half dozen chicks to fledged maturity. I suspect they will win again this year.

Spill chucker strikes again, duly altered.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.   Welcome to Sun Tues Wind-day.  The breeze has steadily picked up from mid-morning and is now flapping the bike-covers alarmingly.  As I had to carry out the Spring safety check anyway before we used them following the winter lay-up I did so and re-secured the covers afterwards.  Notwithstanding the wind the Big Yellow Thing is hanging in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.  

Another day.  Ho hum.  There are rather more people about through the House of Fun and clearly far from all are making essential journeys.  Families continue to take their children somewhere with picnic bags or what ever they can muster to contain food and drink.  If their enquiories are anything to go by some are heading to locations as far from their local area as the Sussex coast and even the Isle of Wight.  They are unlikely to be allowed on the ferry to the latter without proof of local postcode but that's not my problem.  Today alone I have been asked for Hampstead Heath (arguably stretching the definition of "local" from south-west London), Windsor Castle (tourists often ask for the train to "Windsor Castle"), and Malton (in East Yorkshire, I believe, or the East Riding in Old Money).  Hmmmm.  So much for staying local.

There is clear evidence that people are bored of staying at home and no matter what Boris says they will until confronted by force, do as they intend.  Some trains are now running at load factors of 75 - 100% in the early morning not helped by the Green Train Company reducing services at precisely the time more people are starting to move around.   Complaints about "sardines" were referred politely to Southern's management.  At least it's sardines these days.  I remember when the complaints on the main line revolved around kippers and their absence from the Brighton Belle menu.  

Photos have been taken of the Hill of Strawberries looking good in the sun just in case New Neighbours alter things significantly.  They won't be in for a couple of weeks yet.  A parcel from Camborne requires my attention :D .  I shall be back later.  

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Afternoon all.   Welcome to Sun Tues Wind-day.  The breeze has steadily picked up from mid-morning and is now flapping the bike-covers alarmingly.  As I had to carry out the Spring safety check anyway before we used them following the winter lay-up I did so and re-secured the covers afterwards.  Notwithstanding the wind the Big Yellow Thing is hanging in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.  

Another day.  Ho hum.  There are rather more people about through the House of Fun and clearly far from all are making essential journeys.  Families continue to take their children somewhere with picnic bags or what ever they can muster to contain food and drink.  If their enquiories are anything to go by some are heading to locations as far from their local area as the Sussex coast and even the Isle of Wight.  They are unlikely to be allowed on the ferry to the latter without proof of local postcode but that's not my problem.  Today alone I have been asked for Hampstead Heath (arguably stretching the definition of "local" from south-west London), Windsor Castle (tourists often ask for the train to "Windsor Castle"), and Malton (in East Yorkshire, I believe, or the East Riding in Old Money).  Hmmmm.  So much for staying local.

There is clear evidence that people are bored of staying at home and no matter what Boris says they will until confronted by force, do as they intend.  Some trains are now running at load factors of 75 - 100% in the early morning not helped by the Green Train Company reducing services at precisely the time more people are starting to move around.   Complaints about "sardines" were referred politely to Southern's management.  At least it's sardines these days.  I remember when the complaints on the main line revolved around kippers and their absence from the Brighton Belle menu.  

Photos have been taken of the Hill of Strawberries looking good in the sun just in case New Neighbours alter things significantly.  They won't be in for a couple of weeks yet.  A parcel from Camborne requires my attention :D .  I shall be back later.  

As far as I know Malton is on the border between North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire.

• Agree 6

I must have had similar doctors to Baz. My arms look like a druggies i think if i have a drink i will turn in to a watering can.

We have a daffodil out  its a Minnow variety the best i have are Pheasants Eye which are the last to flower in the season and have the most fantastic scent.if squirrels have left them alone they have had my ornimental alliums .

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

By all means do. It's a rookie mistake! :) Also a great teaching/learning moment.

I'll add it to my Excel Cockups. Along with

• Barclays nearly have to take on Lehmann Bros very bad debts in 2008 because of spreadsheet line being unhidden
  • The PhD students finding an error in Harvard economists spreadsheets which averred indicators for recession
  • The use of .xls rather than .xlsx format in October which means a significant shortfall in the counting of UK COVID cases,
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The new weighing scales arrived, SWMBO informs me the old ones were her mother's, oops.

Luckily she's impressed with the new scales, and has already been planning charts for the various functions. I'm being push to add the results to my sugar level spread sheet.. dates are in the left hand column not included in any calculations.

It's been programmed for hers and our ages and heights.

• Reading those destructions, weight works on its own, but the other functions require bare feet on the metal pads.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Acct                  2020                      2019
10740     $1,498,025.00      $1,603,400.00 
10750     48,894,538.71      39,286,800.00 
10755     16,336,791.95      16,262,999.87 
10760     25,383,376.82      10,874,451.87 
10765       6,193,676.71        4,672,699.40 
16035                      -            13,654,439.14 
16050     11,443,502.81      11,443,502.81 
           $109,751,932.00     $97,800,312.09

When I learned about spreadsheets the people who taught me were quite keen on testing them with test data before using them for their intended use. Using things like a “ones test” where you fill the cells with a number one. It quickly reveals errors.  But I am sure you know that, whereas so many spreadsheets just start at the top left cell and grow bereft of any planning. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

24 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We have a daffodil out 

Daffodils, DAFFODILS!! :jester:

Blimey, the only things emerging here are the heads of the landscaping lights, as the snow cover finally recedes I can now just see the tops of them, and they're about 10 inches tall!!! :O

• Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

for those of a nervous disposition.. look away

20210223_093941.jpg.9fe04594c5acc31577546c60d391b2b1.jpg

never let a doctor fit a canulla!  I have a matching one on the other arm...

Baz

Thanks Baz, You have just reminded me that I have a Vein Draining on Thursday Morning. I'd better get a mattress and pillow ready to take with me ready for when I collapse.:swoon:

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

. I'm being push to add the results to my sugar level spread sheet.. dates are in the left hand column not included in any calculations.

Some devices now have Bluetooth connectivity to phones/tablets. We don’t have ones that do that and we certainly don’t use any of the metal pad functions on our weighing scales. 
My new blood pressure measurer will send results to my phone but that wasn’t the reason to buy it. The comfy cuff feature was what selected it over other models. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some devices now have Bluetooth connectivity to phones/tablets. We don’t have ones that do that and we certainly don’t use any of the metal pad functions on our weighing scales. 
My new blood pressure measurer will send results to my phone but that wasn’t the reason to buy it. The comfy cuff feature was what selected it over other models. 

I only bought this scales 'cos it was the cheapest, to get blue tooth it would have cost a whole £19..

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1