The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Great to be here two days running - it does make a change, and I doubt it will continue.  Not a lot to report, other than the usual 5.10 start this morning to make 30747 some breakfast, prepare her lunch, feed Lily (while 30747 has her shower and hair wash) , and come back to bed for an hour before my shower and hair wash.  The reason for this being that a few years ago we had a power cut early one morning, resulting in 30747 not getting her shower, so now she grabs it as soon as she's awake - which is almost always by 05.00.

And the usual greetings of the generic variety are on offer to all fellow ERs.

So with that in mind all I pffer today is a little bit of the amazing Mona Lisa twins which popped into my inbox last night, and which I'm sure Andrew P will appreciate if it didn't also pop into his 

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. 

Those scales will not be able to weigh your trailer. They are solid state, they work by passing a small electric current through your body (thats why you have to stand on them in your bare feet). It was from using one of these scales not set up properly that someone got a four figure BMI. I would suggest using a spring balance if you have somewhere to hang it from and enough space.

Not necessarily Phil, the weighing bit works independently to the BMI bit - at least on mine it does.

It is possible to weigh oneself in one's socks should the desire be there :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Not necessarily Phil, the weighing bit works independently to the BMI bit - at least on mine it does.

It is possible to weigh oneself in one's socks should the desire be there :D

Just hope that the Q has ordered the right type.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Neil has seen the news from Westminster about the Isle of Man this morning. When I first read about the giant subterranean roundabout idea  I thought it was perhaps a satirical news website. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just hope that the Q has ordered the right type.

As mentioned elsewhere the electronic scales will work fine for weight. The other features require bare feet. Before we stopped going anywhere I used to use ours for weighing suitcases. Even for cruises there is a maximum weight!

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Morning All

Great to be here two days running - it does make a change, and I doubt it will continue.  Not a lot to report, other than the usual 5.10 start this morning to make 30747 some breakfast, prepare her lunch, feed Lily (while 30747 has her shower and hair wash) , and come back to bed for an hour before my shower and hair wash.  The reason for this being that a few years ago we had a power cut early one morning, resulting in 30747 not getting her shower, so now she grabs it as soon as she's awake - which is almost always by 05.00.

And the usual greetings of the generic variety are on offer to all fellow ERs.

So with that in mind all I pffer today is a little bit of the amazing Mona Lisa twins which popped into my inbox last night, and which I'm sure Andrew P will appreciate if it didn't also pop into his 

Regards to All

Stewart

Yes, very nice indeed, I'd not heard that one, and didn't realise that she also played Drums, and the other one Bass as well as normal Guitar.

Thanks.

Now here's another favourite of mine.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your concern folks, however we still need new bathroom scales even if they don't work for the boat.

I do have a 1 Ton crane strain gauge, but that would need something to support the top end while I look at the meter.. I could probably lift from the top and then Have SWMBO read the results but I don't fancy straining my back.

A ball park oblong tube weight calculator on line, indicates the all up weight to be around 200KG I need to weigh the weight at both wheels and at the coupling.

The keel weighs 188Kg, the Hull weighs 244KG so that's 432KG, take that off the unbraked trailer maximum weight of 750 KG  and there is 318 KG to play with for the trailer.. giving if the tube guesstimator is right 118 Kg left  for hull supports.. wheels and Jockey wheel.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I think the house would be sold as a ‘renervation’ project rather than a house to live in straight away. It’s actually got a new(ish) consumer unit. Not sure quite what the bulb holder is made from but of 60s origin. I’m hoping that perhaps she’ll not sleep in the house again but there is a lot of stuff to move and it wouldn’t be practical for her to drive up from Newark day after day to sort stuff out.

thanks,

Robert.

A surveyor would point out to a prospective buyer that the wiring would need inspecting by a qualified electrician in a homebuyers report they may pass comment on electrical fittings being dated but a chartered surveyor is not qualified to test the wiring 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Gary might have retired by then. His replacement wasn't involved with the B-I Council.

Howard Quayle has done a good job this last year as CM, despite what the keyboard warriors say!  I bet he didn't expect to be dealing with this situation.  I understand he isn't going to stand in the autumn, a shame.

Probably worn out by all the stress from last year and having to go on TV to try and convince the locusts - other descriptions of brain dead selfish hoarders are available, to think of others rather than just themselves. I think being a peacekeeper with the UN would be less stressful.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Spent the best part of the morning clearing out the shed that is attached to the house. This is the same shed that I was preparing to be lined out about 18 months ago. The timetable seems to have slipped a bit lot since then and it became a depositary for all sorts of rubbish (2 pink sacks full). I've temporarily installed the 18 mm ply shelf that I had cut, not fixed yet as there are still adjustments to be made. I also checked out some other things such as space for shelving etc. Hopefully it will be a lot less than 18 months before I carry on with it. Tea is made so I'll be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

and if you are in dispute with your workplace then you must, as I understand things, stay at home. 

Actually no. The right to picket ones workplace under lockdown is allowed. However the picketers must be socially distanced in addition to obeying any laws regarding   what constitutes a picket. However it doesn’t sound as if those you encountered  this morning were social distancing. 

Edited by Tony_S
Incorrect grammar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

picketers must be socially distanced ...... it doesn’t sound as if those you encountered  this morning were social distancing. 

Far from it.  Standing shoulder to shoulder or face to face and definitely not at 2m separation though possibly some were 1m apart.  Then there is the issue of obstructing the highway ..... And then there was the language; members of the public who are clearly not involved in any way with a dispute should not be advised to "F*** off" when they request social distancing be observed on the footpath.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder if Neil has seen the news from Westminster about the Isle of Man this morning. When I first read about the giant subterranean roundabout idea  I thought it was perhaps a satirical news website. 

Judging by the comments in one of yesterday's 'heavies' it would indeed appear to have been something of a satirical job.  But internal to No.10 where the tunnel idea is looked on with what might politely be termed 'misgivings' but basically amount to it being seen as downright barmy.  So the 'Douglas roundabout' scheme was allegedly hatched by advisors in order to make the whole idea look even more stupid but they were told to go away and adopt a shorter route - so they chose one through a dumping site for sarin and mustard gas - it appears that idea hasn't killed off the barmy idea either.

Elsewhere somebody else in officialdom has calculated that to provide a decent high speed rail link between the Scottish end of the tunnel and Carlisle will in fact cost more to build than the tunnel (that sounds a bit idd to me but it n9 doubt mnakes good copyte

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

After a damp start it turned out sunny today, so I took advantage and cleaned a wheelie bin of debris from the garden ready for this week's collection.

I see we have a set of non-binding dates for relaxation of restrictions in the offing. Let's hope they happen.

Straying a bit close to politics, I do wonder whether they are dragging it out as a cover for the Breaksh!te trade fiasco. During yesterday's ride one of our usual off-road sections was rammed with groups of people with no thought of social distancing or trail etiquette. We diverted onto the Woodhead road as there was virtually no traffic in sight. It used to carry several thousand HGVs per day. A lot were European or Irish based. On Sundays there still used to be a large number because of the weekend restrictions on moving HGVs in France and Germany. Yesterday we saw hardly any HGV traffic and didn't identify one foreign lorry or trailer in two diversions along the road and several miles in sight of it.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

That is unusual for the Woodhead road the times I have crawled behind have on that road. Lockdown will no doubt have reduced the number of vehicles. We had some vehicles come back to the yard just of the A628 in Dodworth nr Barnsley off the woodhead with their brakes nearly on fire especially when loaded with plant and machinery and that is a smell that gets in the back of your throat

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Lockdown will no doubt have reduced the number of vehicles.

During the earlier lockdowns there were still a large number of lorries about on the road. The drop in construction activity made a big difference around Glossop and Buxton at first with less stone lorries.

In November last year there were quite a few foreign lorries especially Irish ones about on Woodhead. Now it seems quite rare to see even ones from Northern Ireland.

• Informative/Useful 11