The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A very enjoyable Zoom meeting this evening and looking forward to the next one.

Indeed.

After the meeting (11:00am for me) I had my daily constitutional a bit later than usual. Network coverage of the PGA golf tour event at Riviera in LA was scheduled for noon. When I turned it on they were in a weather delay and had been for a couple of hours. There was not a cloud in the bright blue LA sky. Apparently the weather delay was due to it being windy. (This felt like an "only in LA" sort of thing but supposedly it was windy enough to be moving the balls on greens.)

So I watched the women's Australian Open tennis final I had recorded. I accidentally saw a headline announcing the winner while waiting for the Zoom meeting to begin at 8:00am but it was still enjoyable. By the time I finished watching the tennis, play had evidently only just resumed at Riviera. CBS promised to continue golf coverage on the west coast after the scheduled end at 3:00pm, but the local affiliate must not have got the memo because they went to their regular junk Saturday afternoon programming.

So here I am.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, sixoh8sixoh said:

I'm perhaps not as accurate as I could be with more practice. The intention is to have a OO scale replica of the old house to remember it by when we no longer have it.

Selective compression and artistic license are rarely out of place when modelling.

• Like 12
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A priority interrupt. Have you added power functions to that latest interpretation of the Hogwarts Express?

(While quite visibly underscale it is at least, excepting the tender and the shorty four-wheeled coaches, a much better Hall interpretation than the original LEGO Hogwarts Express which had coach bogies under the footplate.)

Not yet. We were discussing that tonight. My daughter has seen a way of doing it on one of the Lego forums so it is on the to do list.

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My daughter has seen a way of doing it on one of the Lego forums so it is on the to do list.

Simplest might be to rebuild the tender as the motive power.

LEGO has changed their power systems (again).

The old unit (88002, branded "power functions") is retiring and sold out online at LEGO in the US. I believe it is essentially the same as element 4584375 in the high speed train in the photograph. You could find it on the second hand LEGO market.

The new unit (88011, branded "powered up") replaces 88002. It can be connected to a power pack that responds via Bluetooth to a mobile phone throttle. The "Move Hub" (88006) is expensive.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

The most evocative example of WM was used as background music was in the film "On the Beach" as the atomic cloud slowly reached the Southern Hemisphere and Gregory Peck and his sub crew sailed away!:(

41 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

One of the most depressing, yet thought-provoking, movies I have seen. 

For me, Waltzing Matilda at the end of "On the Beach" is a bit cringe inducing - but that's more of an Australian reaction than a comment on the film itself.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

7 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hope all is back to normal for you.

Yes, thank you. I still have to spend some time in the garden tying up the arborvitae, but things are 'back to normal' for me. The local park is a drop off point for tree debris. There's a front end loader constantly filling dump trucks with branches all day.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Palm oil was the subject of a newspaper article today. Someone had felt that butter was getting harder to spread at room temperature. Apparently the cows are being fed something with palm oil and the stuff is changing the composition of the butter fat.

Do any of you know about jitneys? An early 20th century version of Uber. People with access to a car would travel along streetcar (tram) routes and pick up riders for a nickel (jitney) (5 cents). They tended to stay on the more popular routes. It petered out when the drivers found that they had to make repairs and sometimes their employers (at other jobs) found out what their vehicles were being used for. Can't remember if regulation also happened. (Source is a book called Fares Please.)

• Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

6 hours sleep so far, I'll try for more shortly.

Yesterday was mostly blue skies and quite warm but breezy. Today is forecast to be cloudy with a little rain and my forepaws agree.

I see the BBC micro computer is now 40 years old, where did that time go?, I couldn't afford one , but built my own computer from a kit soldering chips onto a board.

The BBC micro was £235 that's £906 today ..ouch..

Just had to force this tablet back into UK keyboard, there must have been an update, as it went to dollars instead of pounds.

Plans for today, shelf building and trimming metal bits to size. The metal bits, one is easy a short straight length. The other is to fit inside the triangle of the boat trailer chassis at a certain distance up the triangle. So needs to be a fairly precise length with sloped ends.

The morning pink pills are taking effect.

Time for more sleep

• Like 19

Interesting to see the comments about those who claim to be “refugees“. It’s a very difficult situation, but what angers me about these people is that their selfishness impedes, if not prevents, real refugees (who do everything legally) from getting the asylum they need. I may be a cynic, but I couldn’t help noticing that a huge number of the Syrian (supposed) refugees were fit men of military age and yet, when you look at all the old cinema news reels documenting the plight of refugees in conflicts such as World War II, the Korean war and the Vietnam war, the refugees were women, children and the elderly, not fit men of military age.

I have nothing against economic migrants. I could be classified as an economic migrant as I came to Switzerland for work. However, the difference was (and is), that everything was done legally, I was not given any handouts and was expected not only to make my own way from the very beginning but also expected to integrate and learn the language and customs of Switzerland.

So why not welcome economic migrants, but on the proviso of no handouts, no support and a requirement for them to learn the language and customs of the country that they end up in. And for those who are truly destitute upon arrival, provide them with a loan that has to be repaid within, say, five years of arrival. Add to this “no handout“ approach the requirement for all economic migrants and refugees to have an ID card. By removing the attraction of free handouts (no matter how meagre they may be) and the ability to disappear into the undergrowth upon arrival, then I think we would see a significant drop in numbers. 

Properly managed, migrants, immigrants and refugees could bring and contribute a lot to the countries they end up in; badly managed....

• Like 9
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2

Morning All, 

Turning into a proper early riser. Well not really, just can’t sleep so SWMBO and I have just had some breakfast and hope to get more eyelid inspection.

Im too wanting to make a journey to Europe as I’m in need of provisions. Fortunately it’s just one item. Gluten free Zwie bak. I’ve seen it in Holland, Germany and Switzerland and it’s a product that Schar make but it’s a product they don’t supply to the uk market. For those that don’t know what it is, it’s like Melba toast.

Anyway, I’m going to try for a bit more eyelid inspection, nothing to get up for.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pfff! Here the chocolate ginger ones are $14.95 - thats about 8 pounds a box...

Lucky we are all rich here.

:o

The last choccy ginger ones that Bear bought were 8p a pack - McVities too.

Mind you, they were on a clearance special in the local Co-op.  Four packets fell into Bear's basket, strangely :lol:

On the subject of Oz, this made the BBC radio news yesterday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56137597

No-one is forced to have the vaccine, but it seems there are numpties who still feel the need to demonstrate.....:banghead:

Mention of Israel was also made, where they have introduced a "Green Passport" scheme which is valid for 6 months and comes into effect one week after your second vaccine dose; it gives the holder access to additional venues such as gyms, hotels and synagogues.  However, the anti-vaxxers aren't happy with that either, as they feel they are being discriminated against..... :banghead::banghead:

Bear's Tip of the Day:

Never, EVER, sh1t on a Bear - we're less than keen, unsurprisingly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56136249

And someone was lucky not to get this land on their bonce (scroll down):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56141673

(And as it happened in the USA - with apologies to fellow ER'ers, I expect a number of claims from those starting huge compensation claims for damage, stress. personal injury, therapists costs etc etc after suffering life-long headaches and memory loss after being hit by a falling 16BA nut).  Cynical? Bear? :jester:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1