The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear concurs.

If someone is escaping a war zone/some form of persecution etc. via a ship or aircraft with no stops in a "safe" country before the UK then they can be considered (and not a certainty) for refugee status.  Wander across Europe to get to the UK and you're an illegal immigrant in Bear's Book.  Simples.

Nothing will stop them until they come down hard on the people smugglers.

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

So no zooming for me, Mrs H doesn't much like my doing them when she's around, gets too much of it at work.  Not for much longer though.... :D Two more weeks and she's out of there.

Make sure you give Mrs. NHN a long list of jobs to do :laugh:

Good luck - it's been nice knowing you.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Nothing will stop them until they come down hard on the people smugglers.

The dreadful state of accommodation for those serving in the armed forces and their families is disgraceful. Every now and then it appears on the media and nothing seems to happen. 
Mention was made of people travelling and not applying in the first safe country. Many of the Syrians who end up in resettlement accommodation in the UK have applied from their Middle East refugee camp. Many countries are taking displaced people. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

All this talk of Banjo Patterson and Waltzing Matilda, but what was the name of the sheep station where he wrote it?

Andi 

The most evocative example of WM was used as background music was in the film "On the Beach" as the atomic cloud slowly reached the Southern Hemisphere and Gregory Peck and his sub crew sailed away!:(

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

...As an example, a friend set up his own company - one employee (him) and one shareholder (him) - and paid himself a meagre salary.  Every year he also received a huge bonus, which I believe was taxed at a much lower rate (Corporate Rate Tax?).  Not sure how it worked, but it saved him thousands. 

Usually by making dividend payments to employee shareholders rather than paying them via a salary. 

https://www.contractorcalculator.co.uk/salary_versus_dividends_limited_companies_advice.aspx is a bit out of date but half-way down the page it gives an example and quotes some figures. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A belated happy birthday to Chris. Good to see The Tie having an airing on Zoom today.

Info for Bear - Jill bought some lemon drizzle melts (biscuits) that are rather toothsome. The brand name is Border. 

G'night each.

Dave 

I used to.like their dark chocolate ginger biscuits till type 2 reared it's head

• Friendly/supportive 16

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Mention of palm oil made me check the contents of my cupboards. I found several items containing palm oil which once used will not be purchased again.

Sacrifice is admirable but not to the extent of denying ones little pleasures in life.  I am not a content reader; we buy what we like to eat irrespective of what's on the box.  No doubt if everybody thought as we do, all those resources would eventually disappear and I am as sorry as the next person when habitat is destroyed.  However, a little thought and consideration should be extended for the viewpoint of others as in many other cases.

Brian.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Dribble Dribble.....

(MInd you, at thirty bob for 9 bikkies they'd wanna be good......)

image.png.0dcc3e422e04676128d55383d16efb65.png

If someone told you that they wanted five bob each for a packet of biscuits you would have told them where to put them

Night awl

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I was being summonsed for some advice on track layouts by my youngest grandson

A priority interrupt. Have you added power functions to that latest interpretation of the Hogwarts Express?

(While quite visibly underscale it is at least, excepting the tender and the shorty four-wheeled coaches, a much better Hall interpretation than the original LEGO Hogwarts Express which had coach bogies under the footplate.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2