The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Rick won’t need to mention an employment reason for a Covid vaccine soon as the panel that advises on vaccine provision is removing job related priority soon. Just age and vulnerability. Getting over 50s vaccinated will be the priority. This hasn’t happened yet. 

I see our glorious London mayor who is 50 but who has asthma made a big song and dance about getting his jab yesterday 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning (ok, afternoon, that's morning in my world) all. 

Happy Birthday Chris.

Re the tax thing for subbies, that is what IR35 is intended to deal with. Worth a google if it interests you.

Andi

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

All this talk of Banjo Patterson and Waltzing Matilda, but what was the name of the sheep station where he wrote it?

Andi 

According to Wikipedia he was sent away after collaborating closely with the lady who helped him with the tune. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Needed to get a bit of shopping and petrol anyway as it was about to start running on excitement and then came home the very long way round to warm it up properly.   Almost wished I hadn't as a stupid b###### in a small white van overtook at high speed and just clipped my door mirror.  Luckily it withstood the impact and it isn't even marked but his seemed to be hanging off :yes: He didn't stop of course and sped off at even greater speed.  Didn't get his number but it would've been my word against his anyway.  Moron.

Bear has front and rear dashcams for such eventualities.  Since no damage was done to your car and he came off worse then that's a good result.  However, given a similar situation Bear would be quite happy to wait a couple weeks then send an anonymous CD copy of the event to the local plod, in the hope that tw@t might just get a visit to "discuss" his driving.....

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

linger longer. 

Wasn't that a Max Bygraves tune?

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Birthday Chris, @chrisf.:good:

Not a lot else to say about today, bit grey, NO VERY Grey, well at least I'm still here to see it. :dancer:

Finished off the last 3 Microwave Pancakes, not to bad as Rubber goes, Dunlop could have done better I recon.:banghead:

Time for Mugatea me recons.:good::D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

A little unfair I think. He seemed to be praising the venue and the person jabbing him. Also many Black or Asian people with any kind of media prescence are publicising having their vaccine to counteract the barrage of negative information from fake news from dubious self appointed religious leaders. If a significant number of people don’t get vaccinated in London the virus is going to linger longer. 

Aforesaid Mayor (not remotely glorious in these four walls) also has re-election to think about in the next few weeks.  Of course he is making a song and dance about it.  To my mind he is scoring political points and hoping to win kudos.  He is, however, also aware of the lower uptake of vaccine among certain sections of the community and I am sure has that also in mind when he makes his sing and dance hoping, perhaps, to show leadership and set an example.

The virus is said to have retreated by a factor of 80% in Greater London (gov.uk figures) notwithstanding the known slower uptake among these sections of our very diverse community.  It remains the case that the very great majority of those offered have had the jab.  I personally think it won't make any significant difference to the re-opening of things.  London (first) and the South East (very close behind) are now showing the way with ever-lower figures of infection, positive tests, hospitalisations and mortality.  Some areas of the South West notably Devon and North Cornwall are in the same position but were at a much lower base to begin with.  

We await Boris's pronouncements on Monday without much hope of change unless one is a parent of school-children or a teacher of same.  He will have to accept the reality that people are bored, tired of lockdown, anxious to see loved ones and will take matters into their own hands sooner rather than later if they decide it is now safe enough.  There is some evidence of this occurring already.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Of course he is making a song and dance about it.

When I was young “making a song and dance of something” was a term used critically.  I just can’t see why someone saying the right things and publicising it for valid reasons is in any way wrong. Are we all so biased now that people who dislike a politician just can’t accept they may sometimes be right? I think in this case “an election coming up” is actually irrelevant having seen the opinion polls. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

and will take matters into their own hands sooner rather than later if they decide it is now safe enough

I won’t be.  However I would like to see more support for those who can’t cope. It isn’t just business that needs support. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Tip not visited - found that one lot of the charity receptacles in Tesco's car park also accept clothing for recycling as well as re-y=use.  Car park thoroughly perambulated while herself was shopping.  Noticeable that might prescriptions which allegedly hadn't been done earlier in the week were actually done on Tuesday. - maybe the pharmacy folk area bit overwhelmed or maybe the (not so good) relief pharamacist was on duty then? 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Rant mode on..

Sky news big piece on how poor the refugees accommodation is in a military site..

This is military accommodation our servicemen lived in. It's better than I often had when I was in and had to pay for..

These are not refugees anyway, refugees don't pick a country halfway round the world for a better life..that's economic emigration..

Rant mode off.

Bear concurs.

If someone is escaping a war zone/some form of persecution etc. via a ship or aircraft with no stops in a "safe" country before the UK then they can be considered (and not a certainty) for refugee status.  Wander across Europe to get to the UK and you're an illegal immigrant in Bear's Book.  Simples.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Wasn't that a Max Bygraves tune?

I always associated those two words with the magnificent Queen Salote:

Linger longer, Queen of Tonga
Linger longer wiv us.
Linger while the English summer
Gives us all the shivvas.
While the summer east winds blow
And shake our English livvas.

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 12

I do believe that Mr H's hoolie has reached the mainland as to say it is a bit windy is a bit of an understatement.

Already been out once to rescue one of rainwater butts that was proceeding in northerly direction down the side path. From the sounds of it I fear it has repeated the process, but short of putting it in the garage- which might result in the garage roof coming off, it will have to fend for itself. I'm not too concerned as it was on its way out and this will probably give me an excuse to replace it with something more substantial/permanent.

We have another water butt attached to this errant escapee and truth be told neither have been what you would call a good buy, they are the flat pack versions, but they were cheap and have kept the water bill within check. The replacement will take up slightly less space due to it being rectangular but will hold almost the same amount. It will however cost considerably more, hence  my reticence over its purchase.

The house is looking a bit like a laundry at the moment with washing hung up all over. This is due to the old, when I say old it was purchased three years ago last month ( do manufactures build in a self destruct timer nowadays ? ) going karplunk. So a new, bloodily expensive one has had to be acquired. This one according Which has a 82% reliability but does much less than the previous one. Having read the new machines instruction manual, which I'm pleased to say wasn't to complicated so Baz's services will not be required, we are weighing each load of washing to ensure we don't overtax it.

So from a windswept Northwest I wish all ER's a good evening.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18