The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dry with a touch of sun this morning but still a bit breezy. I was just going to say that there was no sign of the BIN wagons this morning but they have just arrived and their dawn chorus has commenced. The lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon was last week which was cancelled so it won't be here until next week. Time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I felt sorry for the staff on the phones as it wasn't their fault things were so bad, there was a hell of a turnover of such staff too - tells it all.

Relying on my o-level physics to determine the colour, if I've got it right, I'm led to believe (by a now ex employee) that the leadership culture was, shall we say, autocratic at best.

Edited by leopardml2341
Speel chucker
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

On music, most of what I listen to could be called covers. The one that I do know that is a cover is Streets of London, I greatly prefer Rodger Whittakar's version. I did like Please please Mr Postman as posted by Andy P earlier. A fan of Karen Carpenter

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it was raining earlier on and the garden is now very wet, so any sort of gardening is out for today I think. I’ve got plenty of things to do inside anyway so it doesn’t matter. 

Sheila seems to be having a reaction to the vaccine, she woke up with a headache, high temperature and felt like she’d been kicked all over, she’s still in bed at then moment, fast asleep. So I’ll do something quite for now. 

I though of a few more musical covers

ELP’s version of Copeland’s Fanfare For The Common Man. It has a great driving beat at the heat of the song. 

Preludes version of the Beatles; Here Comes The Sun, a very happy up beat version. 

Hearts version of Led Zeppelin‘s Rock and Roll, strictly speaking not better, but certainly it’s equal. 

Dan Fogelberg’s version of The Cascades; Rhythm Of The Rain, with a nice segue with the Beatles Song Rain at the end. 

Incidentally, when Dan released that he got a letter from John Gummoe, the songs writer to say that it was the best cover of that song he’d ever heard. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning all, started off wet but it's getting brighter now, the snows all gone from our garden, but the mountain at the side of my car left by the snow plough is still there. We are managing a walk round the village, but keeping off the fields as they are very boggy and I don't have Norfolk feet despite having relatives in the county..........................

I believe the ECML should be re-opening up to Aberdeen today after the bridge partly collapsed near Stonehaven, a few trains have been running to Montrose, it's odd not hearing them rumble by. I had a delivery of potting compost and manure yesterday, so some indoor "G" word might happen in the greenhouse later, also some wheels will need turning on parallel strips of metal too. Stay safe all.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(here’s your effing prescription, you stupid c...) and gobbing on difficult customers...

Or perhaps not!

iD

Oih, I only speak posh like that when I’m in a good mood, you ............

Edited by Erichill16
Moderate reply!
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

My favorite peace of music is Pictures at an Exhibition so that shows my music tastes

Excellent. Following the theme of cover versions check out Isao Tomita’s superb electronic version. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

hope you get back to full fitness asap! As it happens her indoors worked for Norlin in London for a while. She had to look after Lucille when BB King had it in for a bit of a rework..

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Woah.  R E S P E C T!

Do tell more! In fact, why not get her-indoors to post about the experience here on ER so we can all enjoy it (add photos as well, if you've got 'em)

Is Norlin good?  Who's Lucille? 

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, Tangerine Dream’s Burning Bar (from the the soundtrack of Thief, with James Caan)

Put it on the car stereo, put it on a loop, crank it up to “11” and I defy you to keep to the speed limit....

iD

Perhaps if you happen to be in a "20" limit at the time maybe.....

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And the Wipe out bit is awesome.

Ahhhh, now you're cookin'......

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

P-Bear, it would be unprofessional of Andyram to mention who is causing him issues, but I'm well out of the trade and won't be going back, so I can hint that the longer wavelength of the colour spectrum is probably the issue, in my experience!  &^%$ing useless in recent times in fact, although they used to be OK, and ripped us off on returns when we wound up the business (all the other suppliers were brilliant).  I felt sorry for the staff on the phones as it wasn't their fault things were so bad, there was a hell of a turnover of such staff too - tells it all.

Gotcha..... :laugh:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Rick

her indoors always says.. "the ukele should be banned and all burnt"  why .. schools started to "teach" the kids how to "play" the ukele and it is a s!d to keep in tune ..

George Formby music?  A bit of this is more Bear's scene:

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Space Rock?  Why not?  This is - errr - different 

Now you're talking.  A few years ago at Sidmouth I heard a version of the Shadows' "Wonderful Land".  It captivated me and I was determined to find out who was playing it.  It was, of course, the Ukulele Orchestra.  Before the end of the day I had tracked down and bought a copy of the CD.

Chris

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Now you're talking.  A few years ago at Sidmouth I heard a version of the Shadows' "Wonderful Land".  It captivated me and I was determined to find out who was playing it.  It was, of course, the Ukulele Orchestra.  Before the end of the day I had tracked down and bought a copy of the CD.

Chris

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Not famous, but a couple of cover I do like.

https://fb.watch/3JSwD3kS_F/

And the Wipe out bit is awesome.

Nice to see that I'm not alone in liking this pair - they came into my radar via a YouTube recommendation, and I have been following their music ever since.  Their own composition Close To You has Lennon/McCartney written all over it - quite amazing

And just while we're disussing music - here's Josh Turner's latest offering Old Train

Now then, sorry for absence - and won't catch up a lot of the missed pages.  Have had my invite to the Zoom meeting - hope to be there.

A real oddity over COVID vaccines round here - some of 30747's colleagues are being turned away, and some are being vaccinated - all are now classed as Health and Social Care, allegedly.  Also, her manager, aged 38 was invited by text to have a vaccination, as was her manager's partner, also aged 38.  Neither was any underlying condition, and the partner is not in a designated employement.  Her manager's mum, aged 59 and under the same GP practice has not been invited - most strange.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3