The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings one and all

There are several musical matters this morning.  Flavio wants to categorise “Deck of Cards”. I advise against this, and constraining music within boundaries.  Years of being pleasantly surprised at Sidmouth Folk Festival by what some of the performers offer the audiences have cured me of any tendency in that direction.  When a dance band launches into such gems as “Calling All Workers” or the Dr Who theme and when a band from across the Atlantic offer “Stop Stop Stop”, a hit for the Hollies written by Graham Gouldman, as a traditional song, the best thing to do is stop worrying and enjoy the experience.  “Deck of Cards” has been the butt of many wicked parodies over the years.  Quite right too.

Cover versions: for a good rocking version of “Bad Moon Rising” I commend that by the Battlefield Band, with bagpipes in full cry.  The version of “River Deep Mountain High” by Sing Out Bristol is as tremendous as that song can be without the Spector wall of sound.  As far as I know the only recording available is a snippet on YouTube but the live performance made a lasting impression on me on a hot afternoon in July 2018.

Rick, the songs of Eric Bogle are masterpieces without exception.  Every time I hear the sultry June Tabor sing “No Man’s Land” I shiver.  I have yet to hear the version by the Fureys that charted in Ireland.  I’ve seen A band called Colcannon and have an idea that they hailed from Oz.  I have also seen Paul Metsers, who wrote “Farewell to the Gold” and has good reason to thank Nic Jones for raising its profile.  It serves to remind me that it is far too long since I have been to a concert.

Andyram, it is good to learn that Sarah got her jab with no further admin difficulty.  

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Slept well...her indoors off to moreasons.

I need my mugatea!

@trisonic hope you get back to full fitness asap! As it happens her indoors worked for Norlin in London for a while. She had to look after Lucille when BB King had it in for a bit of a rework.. 

TTFN

stay safe, positive thoughts to all.

baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18

31 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Cover versions: for a good rocking version of “Bad Moon Rising” I commend that by the Battlefield Band, with bagpipes in full cry. 

Chris, if you like that, try some of the traditional songs ‘reworked’ by the Real McKenzies - “Banks of Loch Lomond” or “Wha saw the 42nd” as examples.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ll see your “Money Money“ and raise you a “Flesh for Fantasy“.  Now that’s what I call “driving music“ (as is much of the Tangerine Dream soundtrack to the film Thief)

Really?  Hmmm....

Perhaps the combined wisdom of ER'ers would like to vote on that one:

Candidate One - iD's Number:

Candidate Two - Bear's Number:

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah! The truth will out. We have a closet punk in our midst. I can just imagine the scene: artfully ripped lab coat, a safety pin through.... well wherever punks put their safety pins through, abusive and foul language (here’s your effing prescription, you stupid c...) and gobbing on difficult customers...

Or perhaps not!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh Bvgger - I've laughed so much I just wet myself.... :sorry:

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

And this

Proclaimers eat yer wee hearts out. 

Good morning. Are we awake now?  

I do like their version of The "Final Countdown", by Europe. Massed kazoos sound very impressive and should be used more in my opinion.

John Otways version of House Of The rising Sun is noteworthy due to him turning it into a question and answer session with the crowd.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rarely do I post hereon but with all this talk of cover versions, I feel compelled to venture out of the warm wood work. I'm at the rock/blues end of the spectrum.

In addition  the above from Beth Hart and JB, here's a few more toe tappers...

Thunder-     In a broken Dream. 

Gimme some Lovin.

Guns n Roses-Sympathy for the Devil. 

Live and let die

Judas Priest-Diamonds and rust. Semi-acoustic version as per You Tube. 

Kelly Jones-First time I ever saw your face.

Stereophonics-You sexy thing. 

Deep Purple-River Deep Mountain High

Jimmy Barnes-The entire Soul Deep album. 

And finally ( for now......)

Finish as we started

Beth Hart and JB giving Nutbush City limits the beans. 

I thank you.

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Link added
  • Like 18

25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all.

Rarely do I post hereon but with all this talk of cover versions, I feel compelled to venture out of the warm wood work. I'm at the rock/blues end of the spectrum.

In addition  the above from Beth Hart and JB, here's a few more toe tappers...

Thunder-     In a broken Dream. 

Gimme some Lovin.

Guns n Roses-Sympathy for the Devil. 

Live and let die

Judas Priest-Diamonds and rust. Semi-acoustic version as per You Tube. 

Kelly Jones-First time I ever saw your face.

Stereophonics-You sexy thing. 

Deep Purple-River Deep Mountain High

Jimmy Barnes-The entire Soul Deep album. 

And finally ( for now......)

Finish as we started

Beth Hart and JB giving Nutbush City limits the beans. 

I thank you.

Rob. 

Some great choices Rob, , especially the JB ones.:good:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

...Flavio wants to categorise “Deck of Cards”. I advise against this, and constraining music within boundaries...

Firstly, I didn’t quite say that and secondly, “Deck of Cards“ is as far removed from any type of music as you can get.  If anything, it shares similarities with rap "music".

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

....As it happens her indoors worked for Notlin in London for a while. She had to look after Lucille when BB King had it in for a bit of a rework.. .

Woah.  R E S P E C T!

Do tell more! In fact, why not get her-indoors to post about the experience here on ER so we can all enjoy it (add photos as well, if you've got 'em)

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

..Finish as we started

Beth Hart and JB ripping into Nutbush City limits....

Beth Hart really gives the song a great going over.  So much so, it’s hard to decide which is the best interpretation: the Ike and Tina Turner original or the Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa cover.

Beth Hart really has the voice for a great Soul/R&B/Gospel singer (and the streetwise “tough broad” look and persona to go with it). Not a dame to mess with...

Finally, Tangerine Dream’s Burning Bar (from the the soundtrack of Thief, with James Caan)

Put it on the car stereo, put it on a loop, crank it up to “11” and I defy you to keep to the speed limit....

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

. SLF also do a good version of ‘love of the common people’ which I think they were going to release as a single,but Neil Young released it a short time before their intended release date. I prefer SLF version to them all as it’s more..........punky.

Paul Young, surely, not Neil?

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

ove of the common people’ which I think they were going to release as a single,but Neil Young released it a short time before their intended release date.

I think perhaps Paul rather than Neil?

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

Greetings all from Sidcup where the sun is streaming in through the window.

Today is going to be a day of back to back calls. 4 in a row then a half hour gap until another one, then I have managed to squirrel away an hour before another. Most of the calls will be inconclusive but never mind, they have to be done.

Generally I tend to prefer a cover over an original if (assuming I like the song) I heard it first; for example, I far prefer Siouxsie and the Banshees' version of "Dear Prudence" to the Beatles' original, and likewise the Byrd's version of "Mr Tambourine Man", but it does not always hold true; Johnny Cash's version of "One" is preferable to U2's, and his version of "Mercy Seat" is up there with the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds original.

Picking a favourite cover is for me quite difficult because there have been some crackers; the aforementioned Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" is up there. The Sisters of Mercy's versions of "Jolene" and "Emma" (the Hot Chocolate song) are both superb as was their version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" and there are plenty of others. Maybe I will get a chance to choose one in between all of the calls....

Have a good day all

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm no fan of covers, I just nearly always prefer the originals of music, but the Siouxsie and the Banshees Dear Prudence mentioned above is the only one I can think of just now that I prefer.

I actually like Ukulele music - James Hill, Victoria Vox and Taimane Gardner are worth a look, for a wide range of what can be wrung from one!

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1