The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It would be interesting to learn from the ER what is their favourite cover version of a song (and perhaps why).

Very very difficult to find anything online by this outfit but ..... 

Colcannon's version of Eric Bogle's song "Shelter".  All I can find for your enjoyment is the Apple Music preview which is about half the actual song.  https://music.apple.com/nz/album/step-it-out-live-at-the-gov/310252815 and scroll down to the track before selecting it.  The solo vocal is almost entirely clipped out but there's enough of the rest.

This is the Australian band of this name and should not be confused with at least one other.

We first saw them at the Port Fairy Folk Festival while they were still touring more or less the set featured on "Live at The Gov" and I was utterly stunned.  The musicianship and vocals are quite awesome.  The originals and the covers blend together superbly.  The late John Munro (guitar and vocals) and his daughter Kat Kraus (lead vocals) as the front line supported by a superb band had a huge crowd spellbound in silence.  

The next year Eric Bogle himself appeared and I was able to have a chat and a drink with him after the show such is the easy-going nature of the Port Fairy "folkie".  I found him a quiet, humble and fascinating man still slightly bemused after many years as to the popularity of his songs.  

I chose "Shelter" when there were a couple of other contenders* because of the immense power in the understated arrangement and the potency of the lyric.   Written about Australia ("Land of Green and Gold" refers to their national colours) I sing my own adaptation privately which has "Land of Black and Gold" referring to Cornish colours.  The rest is an almost perfect fit and I only change two other words throughout.  

@chrisf among others might like this.  

* Their version of Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Ideas Are Like Stars" is worthy of more than one listen as is the Nic Jones song "Farewell To The Gold" for which the preview just includes the start of a superb guitar duet.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, pancakes, homemade again, have been had for the 2nd time in a fortnight and were much enjoyed, as have some homemade  ginger biscuits which have a real kick.

Music, I dread to think what my year is going to be like, no 1 on my 7th birthday was Mack the Knife by Bobby Darrin.

Favourite cover version is California Dreamin by the Beach Boys with Roger McGuin doing a great continuo on his 12 string.

Goodnight all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

TFavourite cover versions, that's a hard call. But I'll go for these four. 

Dan Fogelberg's version of The Hollies song;

Tell Me To My Face. 

For this version he’s joined by the Jazz flautist Tim Wiseberg. I think the enjoyment they got whilst doing this song really shows through. 

and his cover of Neil Young's song;

Birds

He recoded this as a final goodbye to his wife, as he was dying of prostate cancer at the time. He passed away a few months later and the album was released after his death. 

Status Quo's version of The Doors song;

Roadhouse Blues. Just a good rocking song. 

ELO's version of the Chuck Berry song

Roll Over Beethoven, the mixture of strings and electric guitar I think really works. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andyram said:

One supplier will only send to home address once I have placed my account on hold, and then filled out several forms before awaiting a decision to allow a temporary change of address. Much less hassle to drive to the shop to collect this one. I will leave to guess which supplier it is...

Bear is guessing either a Red One, a Blue One or a "P" one.  I guess the latter, but no idea why really.....

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

You made look them up on YouTube, I could only hack about forty seconds; that was it! So right now the CCR version is blasting away on the stereo. Thank you for the reminder. Now to listen to the rest of the LP.

Note: The absolute wurst version ever recorded (unfortunately) was the Ike & Tina Turner cover!

The one that makes Bear's boat float is "Mony Mony" by Billy Idol; I defy anyone to maintain a constant driving speed when that comes on the radio.....

Filling and sanding finished (for now - there'll be two more corners to do, but those bits of coving are yet to be fitted); the ceiling light and decorative ceiling rose casting are finished too - all without Bear getting frazzled by the leccy too :danced:

Tomorrow will see work commence on the cooker hood chimney - though a kitchen layout design change has complicated that slightly;  I've decided that one corner would benefit from having an "L" shaped corner unit instead of a straight unit (as used in the other corner) - but units come ready assembled and I need to ensure that the L-shaped option will actually make it thru' to the kitchen......  (they do offer the option of having the unit factory assembled "dry" [i.e. no glue] so that the customer can easily strip it to ease positioning, make modifications etc etc; however knowing Bear's luck delivery will be late at night - anything up to 10pm - in the p1ssing rain - and Bear will be left stripping a brand new and expensive corner unit on the front garden path without scratching it.  Don't think so...... :nono:).  A flat pack option isn't offered :banghead:

All this is very taxing for a Cub of little Brain - at least I've only got myself to please.  Can't start to imagine what it'd be like if I had a SWMBO calling the design shots, only for it to be "Bear's fault" if when the finished article doesn't meet expectations.....

:bye:

p.s.  On the subject of leccy cars:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-true-cost-of-owning-an-electric-car/n21008?utm_source=20210217&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews bulletins&utm_content=WCAR Enews bulletin - 17 February 2021::story1_button

- for some strange reason they've omitted to cover the small detail of battery life and replacement cost though. :crazy:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

It would be interesting to learn from the ER what is their favourite cover version of a song (and perhaps why).

And now it’s time for bed.

Good night all

ID

Now you’re talking.

One of my favorites is Sid Vicious’ version of  ‘My Way’ but on the Sex Pistols album The Great Rock and Roll Swindle there’s quite a few other I like but there not for delicate ears. Reason, well is probably how I’d sing them. BTW I’m tone deaf. 
Stiff Little fingers do a good good version of Bob Marlys ‘John Was’ which is a very powerful song. SLF also do a good version of ‘love of the common people’ which I think they were going to release as a single,but Neil Young released it a short time before their intended release date. I prefer SLF version to them all as it’s more..........punky.

I’ll think of some more, but I think these that will cement Polybears image of me.

Robert

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

52 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is guessing either a Red One, a Blue One or a "P" one.  I guess the latter, but no idea why really.....

It is one of the three you refer to, but you have chosen incorrectly. Despite stock supply from your chosen manufacture being sporadic at best recently, they changed the delivery address after one phone call and usually get the stock they can supply delivered within 4-5 days. In many ways I cannot fault them. They have always been open and honest about supply issues and as helpful as possible.

True culprit not only provide an awkward method of changing the address, which is not worth the hassle, their delivery time is very slow at the moment. 

Favourite cover version?  Does Adam Lambert covering the great Freddie Mercury’s vocals count?

Edited by andyram
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11