The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It's hard to believe that this was actually considered "popular" music (i.e. Pop Music).

It's hard to see what genre it would fit into. Pop, soul, gospel wouldn't fit (and it's as far away as you can get from heavy metal, rock, jazz blues or C&W)

It's generally accepted that the song lies in the C&W genre.  Originally a hit for the writer, T. Texas Tyler in 1948, it was later a hit for Tex Ritter.  The story derives fron an 18th century folk tale from Hampshire (old).

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

The number 1 on my 7th birthday was

Sweets For My Sweet - by The Searchers

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Absolutely I have thank you. Received from several sources. A spot known to me very well indeed. I reckon I could still fond my way safely back home at any hour of the night either along the beach or by path. 

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now for those of you wishing for a decent tune to rid your memory of the above, may I offer Merle and Willie:

No, sorry, you have to listen to the original (and he appears in the video of the Merle and Willie version):

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, pH said:

No, sorry, you have to listen to the original (and he appears in the video of the Merle and Willie version):

I have heard both versions: the Townes Van Zandt original and the Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard cover. And for me, the Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard version just edges it. One cover version I don’t particularly like is the Emmylou Harris cover. Which is kind of ironic, given that Willie Nelson discovered the song through Emmylou Harris's cover.

One reason I like the Willy and Merle version is because when compared to the Townes Van Zandt original, it’s a lot easier to play. Van Zandt uses Travis picking, a skill I am a long way away from picking up.

it’s interesting to contemplate how certain cover versions of songs have become even more famous than the original. Amongst the many I can think of are “All Along The Watchtower“ by Jimi Hendrix (based on the Bob Dylan original), “A Little Help From My Friends” by Joe Cocker (originally by The Beatles) and “Cocaine” by Eric Clapton (the original, if I recall correctly, was by J.J. Cale). Amongst many, many others.

There are countless more great covers (and in some instances, the cover artist turned a so-so original into a big hit).

It would be interesting to learn from the ER what is their favourite cover version of a song (and perhaps why).

And now it’s time for bed.

Good night all

ID

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It would be interesting to learn from the ER what is their favourite cover version of a song (and perhaps why).

Go on then.....

The Clash version of The Bobby Fuller Four's 'I fought the law....'

Reason, just a bit more feel to it.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Lurker said:

...snip... the only songs I remember from the radio from my time living there were "Popcorn"  ...snip...

I have that album by Hot Butter, a real Pop Corn "container" (of the type used in movie theaters) was used on the album:

1689060063_HotButter-Popcorn.jpg.8a237993e15134f8fa87481aeb7656a1.jpg

Mine still has the cellophane wrap protecting it.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Status Quo's version of Creedence Clearwater's Proud Mary -  just something about the driving beat that does it for me.

Dave  

You made look them up on YouTube, I could only hack about forty seconds; that was it! So right now the CCR version is blasting away on the stereo. Thank you for the reminder. Now to listen to the rest of the LP.

Note: The absolute wurst version ever recorded (unfortunately) was the Ike & Tina Turner cover!

• Like 13