The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We thought of you last night, especially when we saw some trams while watching a TV programme about railway architecture. Leipzig was one of the stations featured. It also showed the underground stations. 

You mean the tunnel stations on the suburban trunk line? They caught quite a bit of attention when the modernised suburban network went operational in 2013. I’d been quite familiar with the suburban tunnel routes in Frankfurt and also those in Munich and Stuttgart to some extent, so it wasn’t terra incognita for me.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

"A Tweet appeared on my Twitter timeline asking people what was number one in the “Top Ten” on your 7th birthday. Clearly many people who responded were a lot younger than I . Mine was Cliff Richard and The Drifters performing “Living Doll”."

A variant of this appeared on Facebook, saying that was number one in the top ten on your seventh birthday would describe your 2021.

In the UK it was Paralysed, by Elvis

Just about right

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

5 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

I have not got a clue what was no 1 when I was 7!

Covid jab been administered, all well organised, asked at least 3 time if I was feeling well. The nurse went trough all the possible side effects then administered the jab. Told to sit down for 15 minutes (they put a sticky lable on with thime of departure on)

A vast different experience to the one a friend reported. He was given the jab then got the speil about what it might do. Then told he could go, no wait 15mins or indeed no place to sit

My Wife had to sit for 15 minutes after the Phizer Jab But I was told it wasn't required with the Oxford AZ one.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It's all over now by the Rolling stones.. luckily Jim Reeves was at Number 3(!).

Neighbours have had a man in van to give a cost for new Fencing.. the one in the back will be 8feet high apparently... They intend building a mini wall between our front garden and theirs.. then put the dog "6ft" high fence up in our garden.. erm.. nope....

Baz

IIRC, that's another planning permission reqt; any 'fence' taller than 6' needs it :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I just googled and found out that the No. 1 pop song on my 7th birthday was "When Will You Say I Love You?" by Billy Fury (could have been worse, it could have been "Deck of Cards" by Wink Martindale)

I'm not at all sure that Deck of Cards was ever No. 1.  It was, however, one of the very few singles to spend a whole year - mostly 1963 - in the charts.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It's all over now by the Rolling stones.. luckily Jim Reeves was at Number 3(!).

Neighbours have had a man in van to give a cost for new Fencing.. the one in the back will be 8feet high apparently... They intend building a mini wall between our front garden and theirs.. then put the dog "6ft" high fence up in our garden.. erm.. nope....

Baz

I don't know about your part of the world Baz but in Cardiff there is a limit to the height of a fence you can erect at the front of your property - 1 metre

https://wezaggle.com/what-is-the-maximum-fence-height-for-the-front-garden/

Hedges can be higher.

Somebody locally put up a higher fence and was forced to lower it.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

No charts in my day but can remember Violet Carson singing on BBC Childrens' Hour ... she became Ena Sharples in a new soap a while later!

Completely off-topic but the last episode of Dick Barton Special Agent has just come to mind - lousy reception and replaced by The Archers - an everyday story of country folk - the week after.

• Like 17

A word of caution about the charts.  Back in the day each of the music papers had its own chart - NME, Melody Maker, Disc and Record Mirror.  The BBC took an average of all four to produce the chart used on Pick of the Pops, Top of the Pops and Radio 1.  In about 1968 the British Market Research Bureau began to compile its own chart which came to be used by the BBC.  Usually, but not always, the music papers agreed on what was no.1 but not on much else.  On top of this Big L, aka Wonderful Radio London, had its own chart - the Fab Forty - which claimed to be a couple of weeks ahead of the others and probably bore little relation to sales.

Chris116 might like to draw on his inside knowledge to verify this, or not as the case may be!

Chris  

Edited by chrisf
formatting
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I'm not at all sure that Deck of Cards was ever No. 1.  It was, however, one of the very few singles to spend a whole year - mostly 1963 - in the charts.

Chris

It got to number 5

This is why I'm glad it didn't make Number 1 at any time in 1963

It's hard to believe that this was actually considered "popular" music (i.e. Pop Music).

It's hard to see what genre it would fit into. Pop, soul, gospel wouldn't fit (and it's as far away as you can get from heavy metal, rock, jazz blues or C&W)

Now for those of you wishing for a decent tune to rid your memory of the above, may I offer Merle and Willie:

Currently one of my "songs under construction"

Cheers

F

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Two pages of ER's since lunchtime, thats why I'm a bit late.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear was surprised to learn that Malta had a railway too - now long gone, sadly.

They are going to have a metro system including an undersea tunnel between Malta and Gozo

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I just googled and found out that the No. 1 pop song on my 7th birthday was "When Will You Say I Love You?" by Billy Fury (could have been worse, it could have been "Deck of Cards" by Wink Martindale)

On my 7th birthday it was 'Unchained melody' by Jimmy Young.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, petethemole said:

"A Tweet appeared on my Twitter timeline asking people what was number one in the “Top Ten” on your 7th birthday. Clearly many people who responded were a lot younger than I . Mine was Cliff Richard and The Drifters performing “Living Doll”."

Preferable to mine, Jimmy Young's  'Unchained Melody' on its original release.

The extreme cynic within me would suggest that someone unknown has unlawfully obtained a large list of usernames and passwords for certain online accounts, and is trying to obtain this kind of information in order to get around the extra security questions. 

However, I am sure I am wrong on this. 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2