The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, trisonic said:

Hey, I lived in Greensboro on The Cardinal for 6 years. Loved the place. Great restaurants, interesting old Southern station (except the old reminders like "Whites Only" lavatories etc). Cheers, Pete.

I live in Chester, SC. The Night Owl is/was an overnight train that operated on the Northeast Corridor by Amtrak Washington to Boston. It may have also been operated by by Penn Central before Amtrak.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Good luck with that John - I was asked to stay on for an additional three months for an 'orderly handover' to my successor - typical university red tape delayed the initial advertising and then there was the usual prolonged shortlisting, interviewing and selection plus the need for the replacement to be replaced in their area which meant that the new staff member was only confirmed the day before I left after a process that took almost six months - and that was just for an administration position. . . . . .

The idea is to leave at retirement....and then come back as a "Consultant" the next day.....

8 hours ago, pH said:

My sister, who had a specialized job in a national company, told her boss and HR on her 64th birthday that she was retiring on her 65th. With 6 months to go, and no sign of a replacement, or any moves to promote/recruit one, she reminded people of what she’d told them. With 3 weeks to go, they gave her a new hire to train. She pointed out that it was very unlikely this person could be fully trained up in the time remaining. HR said “You will be staying on as a consultant though, won’t you?”. “No” she said.

Question One:  "How much are you paying?" :biggrin_mini2:

55 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes, I believe so. :scratchhead:

I really don’t understand this obsession with lemon drizzle cake. It’s pleasant enough, but hardly what I would call the star turn of the patisserie. On my side, I would rather have a slice of a good Dundee fruit cake than a slice of lemon drizzle cake.

Bear is currently (though not this actual moment) onto Salted Caramel Cake - a fine substitute, and equally gooey....

Sprouts in a stew? This is either extreme frugality or extreme desperation. It certainly sounds like you need to get to the supermarket sometime soon.

Sprouts, properly prepared and cooked, can be very more-ish indeed. But in a stew? No! Just No :nono: :jester:

Last year, as some may recall, I sold my Squier Telecaster (and some other guitars) to fund the purchase of a HIWATT amp. Of all the guitars that I sold then, it’s the Tele I miss the most. Now, after a particularly good financial year I have decided to replace the Tele and the dilemma I’m facing is <do I buy a top-of-the-line Squier Tele or do I go for an entry level Fender Telecaster?>
All opinions gratefully received....

Sprouts?  More-ish?  Not for the innocent bystanders.....:no:

As for the guitar - why buy a Morris Marina when you could be driving a Rover?

(edit:  Bear would struggle to play a Triangle - knowledge of clever things like guitars are way above this Bear's head)

Edited by polybear
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1