The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

ait till my local sugary invites me . . . Hmmmmm . . .wot to do . . . . 

Depends if you are prepared to travel to some of the centres offered by the website. I got a gp offer before the letter. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning al,,

It is distinctly soggy and misty out there with the palace only now emerging from the mist - so a definite sign of warming (a comparative term) but more rain is promised.

Third muggatea has just been commenced and no doubt the next one will follow fairly soon after.  Continuing on the fuelling theme last night's curry was as good as usual and greatly enjoyed by all but my mushroom supply is exhausted so i suspect it will be baked beans and sausages for lunch and an as yet undisclosed menu for this evening.  Big task todauy is to try and get an article completed although the person dealing with them is only starting 'design' on my previously submitted one today if she can get it transformed from Pages to Word - looks like I might need to find a certain disc I have somewhere and load Word if there's no other way round things.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

It is quite easy to transform a Pages file to a Word file (although you may have discovered this already by now). All you need to do is export the pages file, and you will get a choice of several different formats. 

I think the problems can arise with getting Word to recognise the products of other OS machines. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Had a phone call claiming to be from national insurance caying that they had fround evidenec of fraudulent activity, dont know what they are going to do as I pressed any key and the phone went dead

I like your style :)

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I will.. and they now know I am unhappy as I have just had a verbal "explosion"!

And they need to check the property profile around here people like gardens not conservatories or 7 bedrooms (!)   Apparently the front garden will be half parking and half will be a "seating area"... will be too stools and a small table..

Baz

There may also be restrictions on the size of vehicle that can be parked on a frontage; I know my deeds have such.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear concurs - it helps fill that lean spell between chr*mbo and eas*ter to help prop up the flower and card selling businesses.  I would how much global warming, energy usage, chemicals etc etc get used as a result.

Funny - our son was talking about that yesterday. He was in Ecuador at this time last year on business. He drove through areas with nothing but flowers growing in the fields. At Quito airport, there was almost no space on the tarmac - air freighters everywhere. Most of the Valentine’s Day flowers in North America come from South America. He remarked to someone that it must be pretty good for the country’s economy. Apparently not - while there is a trade in flowers all year long, it’s only like that for the two weeks before Valentine’s Day.

Edited by pH
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 11

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

As Ozexpat noted, I always post the temps here in lovely Minnesota in "C" for the benefit of most of the ERs using that as the norm/standard.

Secondarily I have generally used it personally here from my aviation background (private pilot only...) and the fact that with my daughter now a pilot all her references are in "C" regardless. Confuses the daylights out of friends when they're in our car as I also have that providing "C" temps :jester:

Consider us a "C" anomaly in the very "F" country :)

I still work in Centigrade...........................

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The local news media,  starved of  Covid stories for the last month or so due to lack of covid were finally able to unleash their pentup hyperbole and dramatic flourishes  yesterday with their live coverage of the plane carrying our first  doses of Pfizer  vaccine  landing at Sydney airport, which is ionic given that thats how the virus got here too. 

There were regular 'crosses' all afternoon to reporters on the scene who were able to report breathlessly on the status of its unloading with distant shots of 'things' happenning around the aircraft.

They interviewed an expert on airplanes who was able to describe how they would probably get the vaccines off the plane - turns out they'd unload it the same way they unload stuff from  every other plane.

From there the vaccine was off by road, presumably  using some kind of 'truck' - they didn't have an expert for that bit  so thats me going out on a limb there- to a 'secret warehouse' somewhere in Sydney..

I was more excited about actually seeing a plane.

What with Covid, Brexit and The Orange One means the Media have been having a ball over the past year.  It must really be taxing the very few brain cells they share between them.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Morning all - a national holiday here, "Presidents Day"!

Uneventful Sunday, except I DID get one of my two 400-day Anniversary clocks repaired and running.

Needs an adjustment for slow/fast as it's off about 4 minutes from when I got it going, but very pleased with the fact it's going at all :)

We'd decided to have Whitney checked by the vet as she was still consuming copious amounts of water so booked her in for 8AM this morning! So much for sleeping in on a holiday :O

All checked out OK from the urine sample and check-up, and with the "history" of us giving her the food Bob takes conclusion for now is simply what we'd surmised. The urinary tract food he gets is designed to have the animal(s) consume plenty of water, and that's what is for now the diagnosis. Giving it three or four days and if no change, back in. 

A reminder of what BLQQDY COLD is in non-extreme locations (i.e. this IS a major city in the US!) it was -28C with a wind chill making it -34C at 8AM :jester:
Neither Whitney nor myself exactly keen to be out in that, though it's somewhat common here in winter.

Only -23 now, back from the vet, expected to manage a high of -18 today.

Hope you stay safe and the week starts well.

The USA is indeed a country of weather madness. Currently it is 3C in New Orleans, but 31C in Miami. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

What with Covid, Brexit and The Orange One means the Media have been having a ball over the past year.  It must really be taxing the very few brain cells they share between them.

Get some crocs in mate, here  the news has been more interesting in a grizzly way after the croc attack in Queensland where they just found a few bits of a fisherman - third attack this month.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The USA is indeed a country of weather madness. Currently it is 3C in New Orleans, but 31C in Miami. 

Here in winter it'll often be -10 or more in Thredbo and the Snowies but its always 32 in Darwin where only the humidity changes.

• Informative/Useful 13