The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Keyboard Warriors - nuff said :(

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

And folk that live t'other side o' t' hills...........................

:P

I rated your post thought provoking, because 'I think' that you will pay for that :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The snow is disappearing, slowly but it is predicted than it will get warmer tonight. I do hope it does clear up before I go for my jab tomorrow. Time methinks for a mug or two of tea so its be back later.

• Like 16

11 hours ago, chrisf said:

I must have been feeling particularly liverish yesterday, for I took an almost fiendish delight in combing the pages for mistakes.  In one particularly fascinating article, entitled “Trains that went backwards … and other odd manoeuvres”, the profusion of expressions such as “I think”, “it seems likely” and “I suspect” leads the reader to the disappointing conclusion that the article is less than definitive.  I think it was the late Donald Boreham, sometime Secretary of the Model Railway Club, who once wrote that the best method of research was to publish what little you know in the sure and certain knowledge that someone will not only know more about it than you do but say so.  The captions have their fair share of avoidable errors.  Why, for instance, do I read that a set of coaches is in chocolate and cream livery when it is as plain as a pikestaff from the photo that they are wearing blood and custard?

Chris - a like-minded railway friend and I exchange emails every month about caption errors we spot in the main railway monthlies, which is quite entertaining. Whilst there is no excuse for obvious nonsense such as that you cite, I think we have to recognise that many caption writers are working from scanty (or indeed non-existent) notes from the photographer. It takes a fair degree of expertise to pin down locations, dates and likely workings - Tony Wright does it well with ECML subjects, for example. But a magazine like BRILL, which has long traded on extended captions, should really do rather better than they managed with the Oxford feature in last month's issue, where captions and images got rather muddled.

At least in the monthly magazines there are usually readers who write in to provide appropriate correction and clarification. In my fairly extensive library of railway books I have noticed a fair number of caption errors which should really have been picked up in proof-reading. The problem here is that such errors generally go uncorrected, and therefore become - by default and the passage of time - a misleadingly inaccurate historical record.

David            

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Been chuckinitdarn here all afternoon.. but there is still a skating rink in the front garden.. It does feel warmer though!

@newbryford.. the Settle mafia will be looking for you now.. hope your passport is up to date!:jester:

Baz

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Its raining! but it does appear to be washing the snow away. Arthur Itis was making a song and dance about it but now its stopped and so has he. Now to finish catching up on Farcebook but a muggatee first.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1