The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Mornin'

A bit early for a Sunday though. Cuppa decaff tea in hand, hopefully to be followed by some more shut eye.

Sadly my 'bleughness' continues so yesterday I attended a Covid test centre - result awaited and last night's planned meal with SWMBO cancelled.

Temperature on the rise here, 5 degrees forecast rising to a distinctly sub-tropical 12 tomorrow, that and a reasonable breeze suggests a good day for laundry.

Make the most of your day everyone: see you later.

Hope you end up 'negative'.

Temperature wise I'll believe it when I feel it.

(Barry - not aware of a PM)

Edited by PeterBB
Added answer
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Chris, perhaps it suggests a personal 'problem' on my part, but this, I cannot comprehend.

I recently encountered a relatively inexpensive Californian (Monterey County), Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèrdre (a grape combination much loved in Oz as the "holy trinity") in my local supermarket. I'm not sure exactly how many bottles have made their way home but I enjoyed opening one this evening with some penne arrabiata.

I didn't understand any of that. Is it code for saying you had pie & chips, and a pint of mild? 

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, bbishop said:

squeal to teacher

I really dislike that term. It brings back memories of some child tolerating awful bullying rather than getting a reputation for “squealing “ or “grassing”. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As for local vineyards

My nephew’s fiancée’s parents live in Modena. After visits there they frequently presented us with items of local produce (wine, food not cars). However now that international visits are not possible they sent us local produce from Sussex. The English sparkling wine was very nice .

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

As it's not something I want to happen again, I'll keep away from ER.

Then they win, which most definitely isn't right as it merely encourages them to do it again...

Stick around, we don't bite (much)......:lol:

42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Flavio asked about Iain Rice and while I haven't seen or read anything about his current state of health it was disclosed several years back that that he was suffering from  Parkinson's Disease - a terrible thing for anybody but particularly for one like him with considerable skills in a particular hobby.

Bear was going to mention this earlier, but didn't as I don't know Iain and didn't feel comfortable in doing so.  However, as it has now been mentioned I will add that I saw Iain exhibiting a layout several years ago at S4um Leatherhead (so that should help date it) - he was showing signs then (shaking hands in particular) and did think then just how bl00dy unfair life can be sometimes.

On a lighter note.....

image.png.b91ec0140b786e65dc0a7c5a11b0fac3.png

image.png.4ae9b6b5faf3f1ad7201de3e7a507349.png

image.png.3b653268a81f7c8f3b3ed98aa24c9e64.png

image.png.cf0663b9e19080fec80537bd547b1089.png

image.png.b600e478d26a7fcc3c86a8746d8b4ab0.png

Little Thelma

"Since Valentine's Day is for a Christian saint and we're Jewish," she asks, "Will God get mad at me for giving someone a valentine?

Thelma's father thinks a bit then says "No, I don't think God would get mad.

Who do you want to give a valentine to?" 

"The whole Isis group," she says.

"Why them," her father asks in shock? 

"Well," she says, "I thought that if a little American Jewish girl could have enough love to give them a valentine, they might start to think that maybe  we're not all bad, and maybe start loving people a little bit.

And if other kids saw what I did and then they sent valentines to them, they'd love everyone a lot.

And then they'd start going all over the place telling everyone how much they loved them and how they didn't hate anyone anymore."

Her father's heart swells and he looks at his daughter with new found pride.

"Thelma, that's the most wonderful thing I've ever heard."

"I know," Thelma says, "and once that gets them out in the open, the Marines could blow the out of them."

image.png.12eb99815357e6e8196d89423ebc83dd.png

image.png.2dbce96d5b3aefc491028dcff363e5a8.png

image.png.9e7303660bc617b2c7fbb80d4e270f08.png

• Like 8
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning (well it was when I started) 

It's cold, but warmer than yesterday, 4C, but the wind makes it feel colder. 

Late up this morning, so only just got to the workshop. Work will continue on the trackwork for the turntable, more ballasting needs to be done. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. It feels a lot warmer this morning and the snow is (slowly) melting.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s Captain Cynical I’ll have you know, thank you very much (although it is gratifying to learn that my alter-ego has achieved a degree of infamy. Fame is great, but notoriety is even better!)

I know they can be problematic, but I do find foxes to be very endearing Canids.  As a devoted dog owner, I do have a soft spot for most members of the Canidae family (I find Wolves beautiful animals, but the jury is still out on the coyote).  

My sincere apologies for confusing you with someone else. Is Captain Sinister an associate or a competitor? 

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Yeah, well “despicable” sort of goes with the territory. You can’t be a Super  Villain (who does good in his spare time) without being “despicable”. But I do have standards.  Firstly, I wouldn’t “shop you“ to the authorities, If I was displeased and thought it necessary, I would send round a few of the lads to “have a quiet word“. Secondly, who says I am protecting CAKE with my multi layered security systems?  CAKE is but a small portion of my culinary empire, some of whom regard CAKE as the poor relative.

As for your last assertion, providing you with “an alternative life style timeline“, is certainly NOT a “war crime”. In fact, if you read the Supervillains Code of Conduct Manual, such things are permitted and accepted when done to a single individual (you may be interested to know that I was approached by a very rich and reclusive lady collector who wanted to add  A “toy bear“ to her collection of toy boys and other toy paraphernalia. I turned her down, without listening).

All you need to know, my dear Bear, is that we are currently in a state of detente, which is where I intend to keep things.

The 'very rich and reclusive lady collector' intrigues me. It has always been my ambition to become a 'toy boy' but by now she will have to be a centenarian.

Very sorry to hear about Bob Essery. I know of another railway modeller who has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers, he is still cognitive and the disease is being held back by drugs but the prognosis is not that good.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12