The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

We've had freezing rain and sleet but nothing to that extent. I wonder if someone helped it out with a garden hose? All that ice seems very localized.

Perfectly natural. The upper part of the trees were exposed to the sun which melted the snow and ice. beneath the trees which was in the shade it remained below freezing and the water refroze as it fell.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Should any profferings of local cognac be forthcoming, standing combat air patrols can be provided Jamie.

Dave

Ample supplies of M Balluet's finest are on hand .  

QRA begins.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

7 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello All.

Really must get my priorities right and stop letting work interfere with RMweb :)

Anyway as it's POETS day I intend to do just that and take Doggo for a walk; its cold out there, but what I really don't understand is the BBC Weather guesstimate for tomorrow which shows this:

Capture.PNG.8512152382976954b2cc7ed678b1a159.PNG

In the header bar a max of -1 and a min of -1, but look at the hour by hour temperature range #confused

I’ve noticed it a lot and wondered how they work it out. I think it seems to happen about once a week.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

This isn’t an e-bay complaint - I have no problems with the site or the seller. 

I won an item on February 5, paid for it on that day, and the seller got it into the hands of the US Postal Service in Maine on that day. It made it into New Jersey on February 8 - not very efficient, but at least it had made it into another state. As of midday local time today, February 12, it hasn’t made it out of NJ. It has been to 6 different locations, some of them several times! The initial expected delivery date was “February 23 to March 23” - I wonder if it will make it.

• Friendly/supportive 19

17 minutes ago, pH said:

As of midday local time today, February 12, it hasn’t made it out of NJ. It has been to 6 different locations, some of them several times!

I recently experienced something similar. I had ordered something from a reliable shipper, using USPS with a 13-18 day delivery expectation.

My shipping confirmation email arrived on November 3. The package was moving through the system by November 30 via Georgia and Memphis, TN and arrived in Jersey City on December 11, from where it eventually moved across the Hackensack River to depart the Newark Distribution Center in Kearny, NJ on December 29. It arrived here on the opposite side of the continent on January 2.

There's been a lot of weather in the New Jersey area in the last two weeks.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

13 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Really? 

I just read the NHS guidance.....

"What happens at the appointment

Your appointment should last for around 30 to 45 minutes.

You'll be asked some questions about your medical history.

It's important to tell the staff giving you the vaccination if you have ever had a severe allergic reaction or you are pregnant.

If your appointment is at a vaccination centre, you'll be asked for your booking reference numbers.

You will then be given an injection of the vaccine into your upper arm.

All places that offer COVID-19 vaccinations will help keep you safe from COVID-19. There will be regular cleaning and social distancing in waiting areas." 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/what-happens-at-your-appointment/

I know it’s a “one size (doesn’t quite) fits all” information leaflet from a huge, monolithic, institution, but, given that - at present - the majority of females getting vaccinated are most definitely and demonstrably post-menopausal, surely the instructions in the leaflet should be “if you are a woman of child bearing age, tell the staff if you are, or think you might be, pregnant”?

Or did the people writing the leaflet think [a] that’s too complicated for the public to understand or (b] that’s not “inclusive” enough and that it may offend someone, somewhere?  [Captain Cynical mode OFF]

10 hours ago, bbishop said:

...I was chased off ER a while back by someone reporting all my posts to Andy York.  It was a matter of leaving ER or being booted off RMWeb...

I’m gobsmacked. I was wondering why you hadn’t been posting. I certainly don’t recall any objectionable posts from your good self (and I know, given that we enjoyed time in each other’s company in Chur, that we certainly don’t agree on a number of things).

It’s hard not to get the impression that people nowadays are less psychologically robust than “my generation” and that any criticism or contrary opinion, no matter how slight or how small, has them demanding protection.. 
Believe me, growing up in 60s Britain with an Italian name (and an unusual one at that) meant that I was exposed to the sorts of comments that would have many today running for the shelter of their “safe spaces”. To be fair, most of such comments were made without malice aforethought (and when they were, you gave as good as you got...)

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Should any profferings of local cognac be forthcoming, standing combat air patrols can be provided Jamie.

Dave

Now, do I [a] make a counter-offer of several cases of Basler Kirschwasser or get the lads to dust off the AA-12 Adders?. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Well, a busy day in the kitchen beckons: I’ll be baking a lemon cake with candied lemon peel and a lemon-mascarpone cream filling, preparing an egg mayonnaise (“egg salad” to our American & Canadian friends) on toasted muffins for lunch (it’s SO easy it’s not really cooking) and tonight I’ll be grilling some lamb chops with rosemary and making a cauliflower cheese to go with it. Apart from the cake (‘cos I’m trying to perfect the recipe) all straightforward and simple (as I haven’t had guests for a while, I haven’t really been challenging myself in the kitchen and today is no exception).

And on that Kulinarisch Note I bid you all Ein gutes Frühstück und ein angenehmer Samstag

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Formatting
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bbishop said:

Almost spotted my name on here, although it is Bill!  I was chased off ER a while back by someone reporting all my posts to Andy York.  It was a matter of leaving ER or being booted off RMWeb.  So now I'm haunting The Night Mail, no censorship but one is expected to justify one's posts.  Rather busy at the moment, I have a vaccination assessment to complete.  Bill

Bill - apologies for typo - now corrected.  Also had not noticed anything that was 'offensive' - welcome back.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bbishop said:

I was chased off ER a while back by someone reporting all my posts to Andy York.  It was a matter of leaving ER or being booted off RMWeb.

I’m very disappointed to read that.  Most un-ER-like. I hadn’t noticed anything untoward... apart from you not posting that is.  I missed the reports from Lords and the Proms, although I guess we wouldn’t have had them anyway.

What is this night mail of which you speak?

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, pH said:

This isn’t an e-bay complaint - I have no problems with the site or the seller. 

I won an item on February 5, paid for it on that day, and the seller got it into the hands of the US Postal Service in Maine on that day. It made it into New Jersey on February 8 - not very efficient, but at least it had made it into another state. As of midday local time today, February 12, it hasn’t made it out of NJ. It has been to 6 different locations, some of them several times! The initial expected delivery date was “February 23 to March 23” - I wonder if it will make it.

Perhaps it's got mixed up with a large batch of Trump ballot papers that they keep moving around so that they can't be found.  There a new conspiracy  theory to start the day.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1