The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The starlings have become used to the spikes around the squirrel proof table bird feeder, but fatty the wood pigeon is not going to give up. He comes along on a regular basis even though each time he goes away empty handed (or beaked). I'm not sure which logic he is working to; maybe everything will come to he who visits often enough?

That is the definition of lunacy: to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Confirms everything I have thought about wood pigeons.

Stay safe all.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

Hello All.

Really must get my priorities right and stop letting work interfere with RMweb :)

Anyway as it's POETS day I intend to do just that and take Doggo for a walk; its cold out there, but what I really don't understand is the BBC Weather guesstimate for tomorrow which shows this:

Capture.PNG.8512152382976954b2cc7ed678b1a159.PNG

In the header bar a max of -1 and a min of -1, but look at the hour by hour temperature range #confused

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

The idea that the temperature will be up to 11C on Monday is somewhat over optimistic, especially where there is snow on the ground. Any milder air crossing sub-zero ground will result in thick fog which is likely to halt any over-rapid temperature rise. 

If the warm front comes to a grinding halt against the cold air (I'm not saying it will, but there is a definite chance), there will be copious snowfall to the north and east of that line, but computers seem unable to grasp this. In January 1982, the temperature at RAF Chivenor (North Devon) reached 7C with a light SW wind, while the airport at Rhoose (Sth Glamorgan) was minus 2 C with a gale force easterly and heavy snow. How do I know this? Because I was the snowed in duty observer at the airport. 

However, those forecast charts are straight out of a computer somewhere - and who cares if it is right or wrong? The media can always blame the Met Office - easy target. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

59 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I spoke to soon about the reaction to my covid jab. Approaching the 24 hour since injection mark, I suddenly felt very tired and very cold. It was just as the leaflet said - early flu symptoms, although I don't have a headache. 

Went to bed and slept for an hour, but continue to feel cold. I took my temperature and it was 37.0C which is surprisingly normal given my shivers. Oh well, at least it proves my immune system is reacting to the vaccine. 

My advice is, do not try and do anything important on the day after your jab. 

Sounds very similar to what i experienced except you seem to have escaped the headache 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14