The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

My personal take on such things is that if people are doin' nowt wrong they have nowt to fear - a bit like CCTV

CCTV to gather evidence is fine. So are speed cameras (or safety cameras as they now seem to be called). However facial recognition cameras have quite a flaw. They are not very good at distinguishing the features of BAME people so end up identifying innocent people as people of interest to the authorities. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Northern Gas Networks digging up at top of our street again it is quite a regular occourance. Our estate was built on the former gas works there is still some gas supply apparatus round the other side. There is a radio type tower i dont know if that is gas related or not and there are a couple of large bore pipes coming out of ground then go back under

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Thames Water were in our street today digging holes. Well I say digging holes. Most of them stayed in their van without moving all day. The one bloke who was out was wearing flip flops and a t shirt. I assume he was a Geordie.

Only if his flip flops had steel toe caps.

We aren't totally daft you know.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 17

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think transportation for criminals ended in the 1860s. People found guilty of crimes if not citizens already get deportation orders at the end of their sentence if appropriate. Most criminals can’t  be deported any way as they are British citizens anyway. 

Yes but Goody Goody Judges stopped Pritie Petel from deporting Criminals, they are now free and roaming OUR Neighbourhoods to do as they please, and probably on OUR Benefits.

Sorry Rant over.:devil:

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

much hoovering in the loft next door.. guess they have a lot of "spare" insulation bits in there...

Someone once broke my cousins' nose while the other person was being arrested.. somehow he fell and broke an arm...

I have still got a little "inoculations" book from the UK Government to record my jabs in. I t is small and very shiny... but when I went to see the Nurse at the Marie Celeste for my "boosters" she said they only do them if you are going abroad.. so if I need yellow fever/typhoid/ various others I have to start all over again. At the time they had stopped giving tetanus shots even if you were injured.. they seem to have returned to the old way on that one now. I need to check my Rabies shot date as I don't want to get that to start again.. had to get that from Superdrug as the Marie Celeste doesn't do that jab...

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, pH said:

A lazy, unverified assumption that,  because the large majority of the class were withdrawn from Kingmoor 1965-68, there had always been many of the class shedded there?

(I would also disagree with the term ‘finest’!)

In the 1950s I don't think many appeared at the Carlisle sheds. My impression was that they mostly went there after the transfers from the WR c1961 and GE line c1963 to replace the LMS 6P and 7P 4-6-0s that were being withdrawn at the time.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Yes but Goody Goody Judges stopped Pritie Petel from deporting Criminals, they are now free and roaming OUR Neighbourhoods to do as they please, and probably on OUR Benefits.

Sorry Rant over.:devil:

I am sorry to read you live in an area with such a high crime rate. Most crime is committed by locals rather than gangs of wandering criminals. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am sorry to read you live in an area with such a high crime rate. Most crime is committed by locals rather than gangs of wandering criminals. 

Yeah, not so bad where I am, thank goodness, as its almost classed as Countryside, but we know where it happens unfortunately.

Keep well and stay safe.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had a local politician (since given 6 months suspended for election offences) whose leaflet mentioned immigration and crime in our area. I told him my wife was the only immigrant in our electoral ward so was he implying she had any connection with crime? I then pointed out that with one immigrant and virtually no crime why was he campaigning on such platform? I suggested potholes would be a better topic. I enjoyed seeing him waffle. 

When I lived in a village abutting the pre-1974 county boundary a person from the "Other Side" of the valley was allocated a council bungalow there. He was commonly referred to by the natives as the Illegal Immigrant. I got accepted there when I revealed that one side of my family had ancestral roots in the village's original county going back a long while before most of the current "Born and Raised" brigade could muster up.

• Like 18

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sounds to me like the humans have lost their fear of indigenous wild animals and maybe they should be moved away from the animals domain more like.

I presume that’s tongue in cheek. If it isn’t, I would comment.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Simon, Debs had the killer headache after her first Pfizer, but nothing at all after the second!

Ian, I follow some daft Floridians ('Cleetus McFarland' not his real name - the whole thing started as a mickey-take but he's a multi millionaire now) drag racing on Y0u Tube, and have not seen any evidence of mask wearing at the meetings they go to or in their racetrack they now own.  He should be more sensible, he was going to be a lawyer, but.....Florida.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

any evidence of mask wearing

The new “more contagious” UK Covid strain is now spreading in the US. Mask wearing and social distancing  more important now. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

The new “more contagious” UK Covid strain is now spreading in the US. Mask wearing and social distancing  more important now. 

That they would just wake up to it.....but Florida.  He seems like a nice lad too, looks after his staff/friends, but if one gets Covid they'll all have it.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Sadly our prior cat was attacked and killed by a cougar in our own back yard which is bordered by a green belt.  You don't want to have seen that!  So our present cat who survived these last ten years or so is kept under close surveillance,  kept in at night and most of the time or where we can keep our eyes on her.

Brian

We stayed with friends in a small town in Connecticut. Their three cats were strictly indoors as they would have been taken by coyotes. There were rumours about a cougar that were written off as urban myth until it got hit by a truck. They had bears wandering about but we didn’t see them which was a bit disappointing. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

BAME people

That's a new one to me. I had to look it up. In context I had guessed what it meant.

Over here the term "BIPOC"* now has currency and seems to be similarly used. 

* Black, Indigenous and People of Color

Before people start clutching their pearls over my spelling of 'colour', the choice was deliberate for an American term.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

However facial recognition cameras have quite a flaw. They are not very good at distinguishing the features of BAME people so end up identifying innocent people as people of interest to the authorities. 

This is certainly the case. There's a reason for that, and over time, it will be addressed. For now it's a good reason not to trust facial recognition software.

Personally, I find the rate at which facial recognition software has advanced and the applications to which it is put, is astounding with quite frightening ramifications.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

Sorry I read that as fecal recognition.

It is interesting why facial recognition.doesn't work correctly with BAME people. A lot of technology advances at a phenomenal rate. When I was at uni I rented a pc so I could keep it up to date 

I watched The Net the other day, I remember watching it when it first came out and thinking how futuristic it was. Now it looks.archaic with floppy disks and dial up modems no wifi and slow colours 

• Like 14