The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Through curiosity and an interest in the subject I bought the book and read it. I don’t believe it but there are some apparently interesting facts but I’ve missed placed my copy. I’ll list what I can remember as being of note.

1) Olympic was involved in a severe collision with a Royal Navy vessel that I think bent her keel out of line and this was not something that could economically be repaired but this did impact on her efficiency.

2) During the repairs Titanic s propeller (screw?) was installed on the Olympic as Titan hadn’t be launched yet and they were exchanged. Images of the sunken ship show the propeller marked  ‘Titanic’ , but Titanics propeller had been installed on Olympic. 
3) There are two pictures that purport to show the Titanic, but the hull plating is arranged differently, suggesting that one is Olympic and one is Titanic.

4) No binoculars were available for the watches, I think they’d been lock in a cupboard and the officer with the keys was left in Southampton.

As for arranging for her sinking, the steaming at full speed through the ice field does seem rather reckless.

As I say I don’t think the Olympic was discovered in the North Atlantic but I do like a conspiracy book.

The Philadelphia Experiment and Nick Cooks ‘The Hunt For Zero Point’ are good reads.

Robert

Wasn't the book published by Ian Allen?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it’s snowed overnight, but like yesterday it isn’t very much, I’d say it’s about 1mm Deep if that! But it’s colder than yesterday, currently-2C outside with a slight breeze, but I don’t plan to go outside at all today, so I don’t really mind. 

Today will see me apply a second coat of primer/undercoat on the 2 chairs, when they’re done I shall continue with my TPO decal designs. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all!

Finally, to conclude on a musical note. My musical Mojo has finally returned! I have been working on a couple of new songs as well as pushing myself in new directions - learning new techniques and improving old ones. But, unfortunately, the return of my Mojo has also meant the return of my rather severe GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). This infliction is further worsened by exposure to high quantities of spare toy and model tokens. Currently, I am toying with the idea of either replacing my Fender Squier telecaster (which I sold off to buy the HIWATT amp last year), going for a PRS-SE Standard 24 (such as this: https://www.musix.com/ch/en/PRS-SE-Standard-24-TB-translucent-blue-incl.-bag-192027.html?cs=$B) or perhaps going for a Harley Benton CST-24T Emerald Flame (https://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_cst_24t_emerald_flame.htm) as a test bed for modifications.

Decisions, decisions!

Enjoy the day!

iD

Oh go on, push the boat out, one of each, :ogo on, you know you want to, haha.:D

The HB does look rather nice, I have to say.:good:

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

. I tried the NHS website at first but although I clicked on the 'I want to change my appointment' button it seemed to think I was a new applicant and started offering places as far away as Sidcup but not the vaccination centre I was booked at. 

Yes, you'd probably end up catching something worse coming here.... ;)

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Erichill16 tell MiL if she wants to go out with you she needs the jab.. she is putting you and your good lady at risk.

:clapping: An excellent idea - get together with BiL and agree that anything involving being in the same car with MiL (shopping runs, doctors, opticians, hospital visits....) will no longer happen; therefore SiL will have to take on responsibility for all those activities.  Where safe social distancing is still possible then these are considered acceptable, so contact with MiL isn't broken.  Sounds like a plan, and SiL might just think twice too :wink_mini:

2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Today will see me apply a second coat of primer/undercoat on the 2 chairs, when they’re done I shall continue with my TPO decal designs.

Can Bear ask what brand & type of paint you are using please - is it nice to use?  Bear has a downer on water-based paints as they tend to dry even before you have time to get 'em off the end of the brush, emulsion paint excluded.

Incidentally, has any ER'er experience of using Floetrol Paint Conditioner (for water based paint) or Owatrol (for oil based paint)?

1 hour ago, pH said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think that cougar is going to be communicating with family for much longer. Having attacked in daylight in the presence of several people, it would appear to have lost any fear of humans. Given how busy that recreation area can get, and the number of young (I.e. small) children we saw around on our visit on Saturday, it will almost certainly be hunted and killed. 

There are quite a few cougars in the forests around here and, like most wild animals, they’re wary of people. When they lose that fear, for whatever reason, it usually doesn’t go well for them. 

Bear sad :cry:

Bear's Tip Of The Day:

If you're gonna leave a bad review for a company, be very sure of your facts.  Especially when it's a Law Firm....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55981600

And South Korea is to start testing Cats & Dogs if they show symptoms of C-19 after a kitty was reported to have it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55991097

Other animals have caught it too, apparently - including Gorillas, Lions and Tigers in zoos in the USA

Bear has completed 99% of the sanding - a couple of bits needed a second application of filler which should be hard enough to sand after din dins.  Then it's clean up time (just restricted to the kitchen at present). 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

And South Korea is to start testing Cats & Dogs if they show symptoms of C-19 after a kitty was reported to have it.....

Other animals have caught it too, apparently - including Gorillas, Lions and Tigers in zoos in the USA

Sounds like Bear needs to make himself scarce before someone decides we need a cull.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

As for the A17, I view it as a kind of lottery. It all depends on the speed of the slowest driver in front of you, and how far they are going. Normally, the slower ones have about 2 miles of traffic trudging along behind them, and in the harvest season progress behind agricultural vehicles can be 'very' slow. One thing intrigued me on my last drive west from Kings Lynn while clearing my Dad's bungalow;  that was an artic HGV which I was following and did a steady 45 mph until we passed from Norfolk into Lincolnshire, and then suddenly speeded up to 55-60mph thereafter. I am not sure whether that was just coincidence or if the driver knew something that I didn't. 

They installed a chain of average speed cameras, running most of the way from Kings Lynn, till just before the border of Lincolnshire, several years ago...

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, polybear said:

:clapping: An excellent idea - get together with BiL and agree that anything involving being in the same car with MiL (shopping runs, doctors, opticians, hospital visits....) will no longer happen; therefore SiL will have to take on responsibility for all those activities.  Where safe social distancing is still possible then these are considered acceptable, so contact with MiL isn't broken.  Sounds like a plan, and SiL might just think twice too :wink_mini:

Can Bear ask what brand & type of paint you are using please - is it nice to use?  Bear has a downer on water-based paints as they tend to dry even before you have time to get 'em off the end of the brush, emulsion paint excluded.

Incidentally, has any ER'er experience of using Floetrol Paint Conditioner (for water based paint) or Owatrol (for oil based paint)?

Bear sad :cry:

Owatrol, I've not used it myself, but it seems to be well regarded in the sailing world , for those repainting their boats in somewhat warmer climates than the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

6 hours ago, Barry O @Barry Osaid:

@Erichill16 tell MiL if she wants to go out with you she needs the jab.. she is putting you and your good lady at risk.

@polybear said

An excellent idea - get together with BiL and agree that anything involving being in the same car with MiL (shopping runs, doctors, opticians, hospital visits....) will no longer happen; therefore SiL will have to take on responsibility for all those activities.  Where safe social distancing is still possible then these are considered acceptable, so contact with MiL isn't broken.  Sounds like a plan, and SiL might just think twice too 

Spot on, my thoughts too. I would do that, family or not.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1