The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN was given a little card recording what, where and when, showing batch umbers etc. for both jabs.

..... and I also got a "I've had my Covid vaccination" sticker which has been stuck on the back of the little card mentioned above by NHN.

Keith

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I was going to mention that; the vents were redesigned and the fleet re-equipped with them. BTW it was 11.5 kv at 25cy. For those unfamiliar, a GG1:

IMG_20160322_181310.jpg.ba55488e570cb3d5bf889db07f3a9918.jpg

I stand corrected, you are indeed right!  I was overcome with UK 25kV-ness!  The GG1 was of course a New Haven copy.....  ;-)

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Changing the subject temporarily, I am amazed at yet another photo of a Britannia pacific c1960 has resulted in the cliche'd response of "another one of Kingmoor's finest" on a forum far far away. 

As far as I know, and leaving out the last 3 or so years 1963-67 when most of them started to migrate there, Kingmoor had no Britannias allocated except for a few months around 1961/62. 

I wonder where this idea has come from? 

A lazy, unverified assumption that,  because the large majority of the class were withdrawn from Kingmoor 1965-68, there had always been many of the class shedded there?

(I would also disagree with the term ‘finest’!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I've just read that the boxer Amir Khan has bought his son a £30,000 Rolex watch for his 1st birthday present and posted it on Instagram!!!!

Now Mr. Khan may possibly do lots of good for charity etc, I don't know but I do know that flaunting your wealth like that at a time when so many people are having a terrible time losing family, friends and jobs is just plain wrong.

Quite frankly it sickens me.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/amir-khan-criticised-over-30000-19790069

Personally I'm not of the sackcloth and ashes persuasion.  If the kid has a new Rolex, good on him and it makes me jealous, :ireful:but then I don't have a rich uncle!  We are all in the same boat covid wise - at the mercy of those who dole out vaccines but there is little that anybody can do to reverse life's other ills.  Denying ones pleasures is not the solution.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I stand corrected, you are indeed right!  I was overcome with UK 25kV-ness!  The GG1 was of course a New Haven copy.....  ;-)

Ah yes, the late, great EP-3 motor. I have two or three old cast bronze 1/48 models that weigh a ton. One that I used to have would pull twenty full scale passenger cars. As my interest in head-end equipment increased, I would add an RPO, express reefer, baggage, or whatever and one coach or sleeper would get pulled as the motor started to struggle with twenty-one and not move with twenty-two or more. I always wonder what it would do if I added several pounds of lead (there was room).

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a punctuation error.
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Personally I'm not of the sackcloth and ashes persuasion.  If the kid has a new Rolex, good on him and it makes me jealous, :ireful:but then I don't have a rich uncle!  We are all in the same boat covid wise - at the mercy of those who dole out vaccines but there is little that anybody can do to reverse life's other ills.  Denying ones pleasures is not the solution.

Brian.

Same bloke who made a 230 mile round trip to a Coventry resuaurant. His home is in Bolton

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/amir-khan-criticised-being-coventry-19796344

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Covid deniers on the Titanic.

If I drink fuel .....

A minor point but the Titanic was coal-fired.  

28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

the richer you are .. the easier to avoid following the rules...

Baz

And the more mates you have who find accepting pay-offs to turn the blind eye is actually quite lucrative.  

• Agree 16

I believe the latest conspiracy theory re the Titanic is that White Star Line swapped her and Olympic (no Chris f not the little chef breakfast) in some form of insurance fraud. But unless they knew She was going to sink its pretty pointless. The wreck proves at least a ship sank that is undeniable unless Robert Ballard was really diving on a set that they used to fake the Moon landings. Whilst watched by lizards dressed as the Royal Family

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 14

50 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

On the basis that I've now been awake for almost 18hours, it must be time for bed - I'm kn@ckered.

Goodnight folks.

Goodnight children.................................Everywhere! 

Uncle Mac.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

8 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I believe the latest conspiracy theory re the Titanic is that White Star Line swapped her and Olympic (no Chris f not the little chef breakfast) in some form of insurance fraud. But unless they knew She was going to sink its pretty pointless. The wreck proves at least a ship sank that is undeniable unless Robert Ballard was really diving on a set that they used to fake the Moon landings. Whilst watched by lizards dressed as the Royal Family

Through curiosity and an interest in the subject I bought the book and read it. I don’t believe it but there are some apparently interesting facts but I’ve missed placed my copy. I’ll list what I can remember as being of note.

1) Olympic was involved in a severe collision with a Royal Navy vessel that I think bent her keel out of line and this was not something that could economically be repaired but this did impact on her efficiency.

2) During the repairs Titanic s propeller (screw?) was installed on the Olympic as Titan hadn’t be launched yet and they were exchanged. Images of the sunken ship show the propeller marked  ‘Titanic’ , but Titanics propeller had been installed on Olympic. 
3) There are two pictures that purport to show the Titanic, but the hull plating is arranged differently, suggesting that one is Olympic and one is Titanic.

4) No binoculars were available for the watches, I think they’d been lock in a cupboard and the officer with the keys was left in Southampton.

As for arranging for her sinking, the steaming at full speed through the ice field does seem rather reckless.

As I say I don’t think the Olympic was discovered in the North Atlantic but I do like a conspiracy book.

The Philadelphia Experiment and Nick Cooks ‘The Hunt For Zero Point’ are good reads.

Robert

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1