The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I really did want to ask yesterday if you had thoroughly checked all the packaging but thought perhaps I was being too cheeky. Next time shall I be brave and make my suggestions? 

Feel free....:lol:

41 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Why not just paint what will be (from your sanding) smooth walls.  You can then put up a notice board, pictures of your layout, calendar, ER memorabilia etc. and therefore will have no need of wallpaper!

If only.  The house walls are prone to seasonal movement (it's a 1920's ex-council house on not very deep footings, on London Clay...) which means cosmetic cracking can occur.  I'm hoping this stuff will help:

https://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-wallpaper-products/wallrock/wallrock-fibreliner-plus-180

It really is very, very strong - I've been sent samples and tearing the edge takes a surprising amount of effort.

ER Memorabilia?  A framed copy of the Brain's Trust?  Hmmm.....

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Feel free....:lol:

If only.  The house walls are prone to seasonal movement (it's a 1920's ex-council house on not very deep footings, on London Clay...) which means cosmetic cracking can occur.  I'm hoping this stuff will help:

https://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-wallpaper-products/wallrock/wallrock-fibreliner-plus-180

It really is very, very strong - I've been sent samples and tearing the edge takes a surprising amount of effort.

ER Memorabilia?  A framed copy of the Brain's Trust?  Hmmm.....

That sounds like today's take on papering over the cracks.

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Was this a bit like Eurostar a few years back?

IIRC that was a bit different. Apparently  whilst out in the open countryside, snow packed itself into The pantograph wells. When the train went into a nice, relatively  warm tunnel the snow melted and shorted out the High Voltage side. The remedy was to fit drains to the pantograph wells that let the water out, well away from the electrickery.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

real Zombie Apocalypse

Well if Toxoplasma gondii can affect the brains of mice so they attack cats, get eaten and thus spread the parasite who knows what it might eventually do to humans (in addition to what it already does). 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’ve seen a news article a few weeks ago that says Saga cruises will only allow passengers who ave been vaccinated. Not sure how that can be verified.

Saga have indeed:

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx

You need to have had both doses at least 14 days before travel, and be able to produce the vaccination certificate.  No certificate = no cruise.  Exempt from being vaccinated (e.g. for medical reasons)?  No cruise.

They also do a covid test before you get onboard.

Full marks.

Quantas Airlines are saying similar - no vaccine = no fly, though I couldn't see evidence that this is up and running yet.

Personally I'm hoping that BA, Ryanair and Easyjet will follow suit, though I've a feeling they'll chicken out and chase the profits instead.  No doubt hoardes of Human Rights Lawyers are queuing up to start proceedings against any company doing so as well.

Perhaps one way would be to charge a "cheaper" ticket price for those vaccinated (i.e. if you ain't vaccinated then boy, are we gonna make your ears bleed at the price....) - they could use the excuse that huge increases in insurance premiums are applied in case one of their staff catches C-19 and decides to sue.  Ryanair and Easyjet have been applying exorbitant charges to those not checking in on-line for years - do it at the airport and we'll sh@ft you, matey.

If johnny traveller can have a whole load more beer money for that week clubbing in Torremolinos then maybe they'll see the wisdom of a freebie jab instead :lol:

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I fear that, if the Government kowtows to these individualists, then the UK will find itself slowly marginalised as more and more countries will adopt a vaccination certificate requirement for entry (and probably for many internal social activities as well). Both the UK and the US will need to come to terms that untrammelled and unrestricted individual freedom will be something that will eventually turn out to be a poisoned chalice. Ever since WWII, many countries have emphasised the fate of the individual over the fate of the society. This will change, in fact must change if CoVID-19 is to be reduced to a manageable risk (not to mention for the future management of other, potentially nastier, viruses currently resident in threatened or endangered species whose habitats are slowly being eroded and which have yet to jump species...)

God help us all if a real Zombie Apocalypse occurs, with the uncooperative attitudes exhibited by far too many we'd be up to our necks in the undead before the sensible and reasonable amongst us would have had a chance to slip a cartridge or two into the shotgun.....

49 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’ve seen a news article a few weeks ago that says Saga cruises will only allow passengers who ave been vaccinated. Not sure how that can be verified.

IIRC you can get proof of vaccination, if you ask for it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2021 at 06:04, grandadbob said:

I think I was put off curry many years ago when playing rugby.  I started off as a hooker at school but don't think I've mentioned before most of my club rugby was spent in the back row,  ...snip...

???? :o

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

???? :o

The nearest equivalent in American football is the "centre " who passed the ball to the quaterback.

In rugby the hooker is in the middle of the scrum trying to hook the ball ( with his feet ) back to his side.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

This is a prop:

image.png.2b32e1c1541464fbe9edb7a93f131f4d.png

Ah, good old Fran. An iconic picture that.

I'm wearing a pair of his shorts at the moment. Well not actually his you understand but a product of his clothing company.  I find that they are designed to suit those of more generous proportions.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi is in that group too and the vaccine queue calculator suggests between the 11th and 22nd of February. Its prediction was within one day (at the early end of the range ) for my contact call.

Mid to late April for me!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Quantas Airlines are saying similar - no vaccine = no fly, though I couldn't see evidence that this is up and running yet.

Personally I'm hoping that BA, Ryanair and Easyjet will follow suit, though I've a feeling they'll chicken out and chase the profits instead.  No doubt hoardes of Human Rights Lawyers are queuing up to start proceedings against any company doing so as well.

The Qantas policy is just mirroring the Australian governments stance - you won't get in here without proof of vaccination and a negative test result, so if that petition to the UK parliament gets up I guess we'll be getting less UK visitors here, but at least test matches will no longer have the barmy army chanting cruel albeit rather amusing things about our noble team.

I assume the proof will need to be some government provided electronic proof, not just a photo-copy of some bit of paper or similar, ....

. Australia will be providing us with digital vaccination certificates, once vaccination starts. The govt is currently still evaluating the best vaccine, probably will be Pfizer or Modena ones at the moment given the AZ's current poor performance against the Sth African variant, hopelully they can tweak it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Changing the subject temporarily, I am amazed at yet another photo of a Britannia pacific c1960 has resulted in the cliche'd response of "another one of Kingmoor's finest" on a forum far far away. 

As far as I know, and leaving out the last 3 or so years 1963-67 when most of them started to migrate there, Kingmoor had no Britannias allocated except for a few months around 1961/62. 

I wonder where this idea has come from? 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2