The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, it looks like The Orange One is to be blocked from receiving National Security briefings.  Oh good.

Certainly a good idea, however we have to take into account a couple of things;

1) He never read or listened to them when he was Pres. for 4 years

2) They are more than a single short 4 words sentence, so he'd never understand OR read them anyway - see #1 above!:jester:

3) He can actually read or comprehend anything more than 4 word phrases - see #1 and 2 above! :jester::rtfm:

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

2) They are more than a single short 4 words sentence, so he'd never understand OR read them anyway - see #1 above!:jester:

3) He can actually read or comprehend anything more than 4 word phrases - see #1 and 2 above! :jester::rtfm:

If he is impeached he won't get them anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still just grey outside, no sign of the predicted rain/sleet/snow. Actually my house is better sheltered to weather coming from a north easterly direction than the west. That is because I am at the western end of both the street and the terrace and the street is well endowed with trees and shrubs.

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Exhibiting extreme geographic non-awareness - from the BBC.

A group of car enthusiasts who held a meet opposite a town's police station in Essex have been fined for breaching coronavirus lockdown regulations.

Police officers were working at the Basildon station when they noticed the gathering across the road on Wednesday evening.

When officers arrived they said they "found a group of drivers... who had met up to inspect each other's vehicles".

The Essex force said 13 fines were issued and the drivers were dispersed.

Sgt Steve Parish, from the Roads Policing Unit, said the force had been impressed with how well car enthusiasts had generally adhered to the government's "stay at home" message throughout the pandemic, adding: "We would ask them to keep doing that."

That seems rather odd as opposite Basildon Nick is a multi-storey car park and strictly no parking on the street. 

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That seems rather odd as opposite Basildon Nick is a multi-storey car park and strictly no parking on the street. 

You can look into the police station from the multi-storey car park. Perhaps the car enthusiasts were in the car park and a police officer looked out of their window! 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I think he will be impeached. He said he intends to stand again in 2024 impeachment would prevent him from doing so.. I can't see the Republican party putting forward his candidature so he will have to stand as an independent. If he did its likely that he'd split the Republican vote. That is why I think the Republicans will vote with the Democrats for impeachment. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually unrelated to impeachment or not, receiving them is purely a courtesy extended by the current president to prior presidents.
Pres. Biden can simply and easily decide for himself NOT to provide them, nothing legal or otherwise anyone can do about it, fortunately, and Biden has stated he sees no reason to provide them :)

There's pretty much no chance enough Senators from the Republican side will vote for a conviction, they're all far too worried about their image to do that and upset their home bases. It's not a good bet at all...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Not quite sure what happened here ...

possibly because Scotland thoroughly deserved their win.  SWMBO early on said that I've never heard you be so rubbishing of England so early on.  She was right.  She also said that I get so het up watching England that I should stop doing it forthwith, she has a point. Elder kids can enjoy either way if they so wish.

Townsend was calm at half time when England were 31 up last time and has definitely justified being kept on after the World Cup and boy was he smiling - justifiably.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...snip... along with an evening meal of "Cowboy Hotpot".  No cowboys (or girls) will be harmed - it's a concoction she came up with many years ago to feed large numbers of (mostly young) children cheaply when that was a part of the job of the time.  Sliced sausages, diced potatoes, baked and kidney beans, tinned tomatoes and a little of her culinary magic all cooked together.   ...snip...

Sounds like what Dad would come up with on Tuesday evenings (Tuesday was his day off) with the Sunday leftovers and new additions. He called it his "Tuesday concoction"; it was usually quite good as the Sunday leftovers had aged to perfection.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some forgotten text.
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

...snip... Stay safe, everyone. If I should get stuck on my tram, that would certainly be an interesting experience... :jester:

As long as the catenary stays hot energized, at least you will be warm and out of the weather.

• Like 14
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Today we might spare a thought for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, for today is the 69th anniversary of her accession to the throne.  I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to stay in the same job for 69 years!  My own working life lasted for just short of 36 years and glad I have been these past 15 years to be free of it.  Like all working lives, there were good and bad bits and there were good and bad workmates.  Is a bad workmate better than none at all?  At least Her Maj gets out of the house, I mean palace, once in a while.

My wife and I have been loyal subjects of HMTQ.  We grew up with her, I was born in her Grandfathers reign and lived through her Uncles brief try and her fathers before her.  She has been around all our lives and it will be hard when she goes and we will miss her.

OTOH she is too old to lead her country, Charles is a bit old to ascend the throne and if he is a long lived as his mother, we will be in the same situation.  Best bet - give the job to William, young, lovely wife, photogenic kids and admired all over the world.  What is it with the American people and their leaders; Trump 74, gone for a bit though.  Biden 78, will he last full term, being prez is hard work, long hours, etc, and he will be over 80, then another election with the same scenario.  One thing, with Royals this doesn't happen so much.!

Brian.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, brianusa said:

Charles is a bit old to ascend the throne and if he is a long lived as his mother, we will be in the same situation.  Best bet - give the job to William, young, lovely wife, photogenic kids and admired all over the world. 

If you do that, then the idea of a hereditary monarchy is broken - the whole point is no-one gets to chose who gets the job. If you starting picking and choosing, especially on the basis of being photogenic, you'll end up with a "celebrity" in the job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you do that, then the idea of a hereditary monarchy is broken - the whole point is no-one gets to chose who gets the job. If you starting picking and choosing, especially on the basis of being photogenic, you'll end up with a "celebrity" in the job.

Maybe thats what the country needs!

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5