The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Any number is too many but .....

I remain befuddled by the ONS who insist that 1 in 35 Londoners has the virus.  NHS and various other Government figures suggest that across the 32 boroughs there are (approximately - because it varies daily) 18,000 current cases for a population of let's say 7.5 million allowing for some of the "regulars" like students and long-term overseas visitors to have gone elsewhere. If testing picks up only 25% (and they seem to suggest it is more like 70%) of actual cases that translates as having a population of 2.5 million.  

By my own rough figures that suggests something like 1 in 100 might actually be infected which is far closer to the national statistic.  If testing picks up half the actual cases then it's more like 1 in 200.  

But then I am neither a statistician nor politician and call things not as the party or my paymaster wants me to see them but as I - being a humble citizen of planet Earth - see them.  

my understanding is that the ONS get people to carry out tests, whether they are showing any symptoms or not. Therefore they do pick up a lot more than anyone whose symptoms suggest they might have the disease and so goes for a test. Their figures would suggest approx 215,000 out of a London population of 7.5m have the disease, and if there are approx 18,000 cases in London officially, more than 90% of cases are undetectable.

I too am not a statistician but if testing picks up half the actual cases, then the rate would go from the 1 in 100 you have calculated down to 1 in 50, not in 1 in 200.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I thought it was going to be a cloudy and miserable morning in North Somerset, but the cloud appears to be breaking up now and the sun is trying to make an appearance. Hooray. Mild here, with a temperature of 9C. 

I think Nicola has no chance of getting her way. Unfortunately, the Westminster establishment have thought about the implications - such as the UK having a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. That would most likely be lost if we turn into EWANI (England, Wales And Northern Ireland). Then there is defence, a number of important RAF bases are north of the border and would a victorious SNP want these to continue, no doubt at a high financial cost? Then there are the nukes, which have a very expensive base by the Clyde; are the Scots going to want that, and if they don't then think of the job losses on relocation in the south?

The whole indy idea may be good for votes, and a bit of jingoism, but I believe it will never be allowed to happen. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

We are getting very close to politics here, as much as I like taking the P out of most politicians.. which I think a legitimate sport...

I would point out as a matter of fact rather than politics as the Catholic population of NI grows faster than the Protestant population they will within 50 years be in a situation to vote themselves into Ireland should they so choose.

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

Mornin'

Semi-dull and grey in South Derbsyhsire. 

Up to 10C and 60% chance of heavy rain later.

Not a lot else to report, other than crumpets and a couple of small oranges for breakfast and cuppa number two is calling me.

Hope your day turns out as you would like. Stay safe, stay well.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I find it strange that you never see The Krankies and Nicola in the same place (not that they could do so now anyway....)

I always think the same with Nicola Sturgeon and Susan Calman.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course it’s cruel, I wouldn’t be able to show my face at the Supervillain’s Club, if I wasn’t cruel. I’d be embarrassed otherwise.

Incidentally, my alter-ego - the Supervillain Captain Cynical - is rather unique: he does good and fights for justice and fairness but in an evil, supervillain way (it wouldn’t be any fun doing it otherwise. Being a goody two shoes is just so, so boring).

Now, you’ll have to excuse me as I have to finish lunch quickly, because I have a full and busy afternoon of gloating and scheming to do....

Right I'm back. Sorry its taken so long but there appears to be a bit of confusion as to whom you should be reported. I tried the BMA but they said as you were domiciled in Switzland it was outside there jurisdiction. So then tried the European cake council who expressed sympathy but said that as you hadn't abused the cake just scoffed in a unsympathetic manner their was nothing  they could do. Then tried the Swiss government but they said they were closed Tuesday's and Thursdays and anyway it was Canton matter. However when I managed to get hold of them they said it was a cyber crime which meant it was Federal. So there we have back to square one.

Well I just don't think its right that you can get away with such naughty behaviour. So in lieau of any official sanction I think you should go and sit in the corner and think about your actions. You've been a very naughty boy.

• Funny 19