The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Before we get too gooey eyed about Captain Sir Tom.. should he really have been in Barbados before Christmas?  Not entirely a good idea...just saying..

Baz

If I was his age, I wouldn't say no to the Barbados this time of year.  Duly masked, if course.;)

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

That was a real request for information!

I couldn’t think of a reason why cups and mugs are like that, and wondered if anyone could tell me.

Ceramic needs a firing rest with no glazing. These insulators are an example; the first one has the firing rest on the outer skirt:

Unknwn01.JPG.65e7cdc73d89bf9f0748b21a410e8998.JPG

Unknwn02.JPG.85d821ff60e241322da05a67718216c6.JPG

and the second one has the firing rest on the inner skirt (or petticoat as we collectors call it):

Ugly_01.JPG.640536a039d4a3e76058c493ad14ae4d.JPG

Ugly_03.JPG.3af666b58134ef1cfb683872f4be544c.JPG

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

High C-19 death rate in the UK (106.5K)?  BBC News just announced that in the USA there were 91K in January alone. 

January was the worst month for CoViD-19 fatalities in the US. New case diagnoses are trending down quickly but are still at very elevated levels (~150,000 per day). 

Over the duration of the pandemic, the cumulative fatalities per 100,000 people in the UK is 159 and in the US, 133. Well over 1:1,000 in both countries. 

More than 1:13 people in the US have been diagnosed as infected.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My niece phoned me earlier this evening and we had a good chat about our family history. She is still working full time and has been so throughout the covid crisis. However she has been the only one in her office though some others have been in from time to time. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Ceramic needs a firing rest with no glazing. These insulators are an example; the first one has the firing rest on the outer skirt:

Unknwn02.JPG.85d821ff60e241322da05a67718216c6.JPG

and the second one has the firing rest on the inner skirt (or petticoat as we collectors call it):

The base of any item that needs firing has to be kept glaze free, or it sticks to the oven shelf. Wax is usually used as it resists any glaze coating and then melts away in the oven. For the likes of the insulators above and mugs, the glaze is applied by dipping the items in the glaze coating. (That's why the insulator is glazed on the outside)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Without straying into politics too much.....

Whilst I have no "love" for a certain politician with a fishy name [*] north of the border, there is one thing that they have right.

Golf is allowed..........

I have considered emigrating.

[*] the name is the same as a low bodied rail carrying vehicle and rhymes with surgeon

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, Barry O said:

...Just had a visit from a helicopeter.. a Sikorski S92 air sea rescue jobbie.. it flew all the way from Humberside ...

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...two Chinooks although they were just passing over - extra noisily and a bit lower than normal...

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

We just had a visit from a Puma (helicopter).

Flew over, landed on at the Depot, sat for a few minutes, turning and burning and then disappeared pdq to the South.

Not a normal occurrence, ....

It’s clear that you have not yet grasped the significance of the helicopter visits!

This is the second part of Phase 1 of Bill Gates plan to control the world through implanted microchips.  Now that a significant portion of the UK population has been injected with the controlling chip via an inoculation for the so-called “pandemic virus“,  they are now helicoptering in the “people controllers” that will be distributed across the UK. These “people controllers”,  once activated, will turn the freedom loving British into a bunch of mindless consumers only interested in football and vacuous television programmes, whilst voting as directed by the controlling cabal via the microchip.

(Of course this is conspiracy b0llocks, but I think it’s rather inventive conspiracy boll0cks, don’t you?. Sadly, turning many Brits into mindless consumers only interested in football and vacuous television programmes, has already happened - even without a microchip!)

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Not to be confused with ‘ orange cake’. Unfortunately this one is just as inedible, it’s gluten free.

1511B784-0970-4F85-922E-FB3233C833D4.jpeg.d732979ffa1bda3917f148ef37c7b2fb.jpeg

I really feel sorry for those who have metabolic conditions, such as being gluten intolerant or Type II diabetic, for not only do they have to be extremely careful with what they eat (or suffer sometimes rather unpleasant consequences), but they also are at the mercy of manufacturers who sometimes flog any old garbage providing that it is labelled as either “sugar free“ or “gluten-free”. Fortunately, for those with a sweet tooth, Italian cuisine has a number of delicious treats based on either chestnut flour (such as Castagnaccio) or polenta - both gluten-free. Castagnaccio is particularly fine when eaten with a good dollop of sweet ricotta and a glass of Vin Santo to go with it.

Now, whilst on the subject of “cake”, I can now reveal (given that the object in question has been totally consumed), that this past weekend I made a lemon cake that was refined by the addition of candied lemon peel and Sicilian lemon extract. To make the cake “bear-proof“ (and knowing what we know about a certain bear’s aversion to cream based fillings), I sliced the cake into two horizontally and filled it with a lovely and very more-ish cream made from marscapone and lemon curd. Although, I wasn’t too happy with the cake, those people both privileged and lucky enough* to be awarded a slice of the same, raved about it. In fact, I have an order for another one for this weekend!

iD

* I bake rather infrequently, but when I do the output is eagerly anticipated but as there are more willing consumers of my patisserie than there are cakes to satisfy them, then only the people who are very nice to me get a chance at a slice.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I note there are those saying the entire population could be vaccinated by the end of May...err no..

At the end of February those having had their first jab start becoming due their second jab. This will increasingly eat into the capabilities to do more first jabs.. They will have to double vaccination facilities again to vaccinate every one by May I can't see that happening, and I think the original projection of by the Autumn is more realistic..

• Like 2
  • Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Without straying into politics too much.....

Whilst I have no "love" for a certain politician with a fishy name [*] north of the border, there is one thing that they have right.

Not too many have much love for Nicola!  Perhaps it was Alex, did either get anything right?:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

East Anglia has had the highest rainfall in 100 years, for the combined months of December and January.

Differently from last year, when we were in a rain deficit, here we are slightly ahead of *normal* rainfall for the 'rain year' which begins in October. Somewhat contradictorily we only have about 67% of our *normal* snowpack in the mountains.

Snowpack is a more useful measure for us than rainfall since the snow is effectively our reservoir for the water we use in the summer. The rain just runs into the rivers and the ocean.

Temperatures have been warmer than usual at this time of year and January saw a lot of rain in a single event - about 75mm in 48 hours. This rain came in the form of an 'atmospheric river' from the central Pacific and was warmer than the usual rain, resulting in rain at altitudes where we normally see snow and depleting the snowpack dramatically.

The central California coast saw a massive amount of rain from another 'atmospheric river' last week. The footage of the new washout of the Pacific Coast Highway is quite dramatic. This is the second complete blockage of the Pacific Coast Highway in the Big Sur area in about three years.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s clear that you have not yet grasped the significance of the helicopter visits!

This is the second part of Phase 1 of Bill Gates plan to control the world through implanted microchips.  Now that a significant portion of the UK population has been injected with the controlling chip via an inoculation for the so-called “pandemic virus“,  they are now helicoptering in the “people controllers” that will be distributed across the UK. These “people controllers”,  once activated, will turn the freedom loving British into a bunch of mindless consumers only interested in football and vacuous television programmes, whilst voting as directed by the controlling cabal via the microchip.

(Of course this is conspiracy b0llocks, but I think it’s rather inventive conspiracy boll0cks, don’t you?. Sadly, turning many Brits into mindless consumers only interested in football and vacuous television programmes, has already happened - even without a microchip!)

I really feel sorry for those who have metabolic conditions, such as being gluten intolerant or Type II diabetic, for not only do they have to be extremely careful with what they eat (or suffer sometimes rather unpleasant consequences), but they also are at the mercy of manufacturers who sometimes flog any old garbage providing that it is labelled as either “sugar free“ or “gluten-free”. Fortunately, for those with a sweet tooth, Italian cuisine has a number of delicious treats based on either chestnut flour (such as Castagnaccio) or polenta - both gluten-free. Castagnaccio is particularly fine when eaten with a good dollop of sweet ricotta and a glass of Vin Santo to go with it.

Now, whilst on the subject of “cake”, I can now reveal (given that the object in question has been totally consumed), that this past weekend I made a lemon cake that was refined by the addition of candied lemon peel and Sicilian lemon extract. To make the cake “bear-proof“ (and knowing what we know about a certain bear’s aversion to cream based fillings), I sliced the cake into two horizontally and filled it with a lovely and very more-ish cream made from marscapone and lemon curd. Although, I wasn’t too happy with the cake, those people both privileged and lucky enough* to be awarded a slice of the same, raved about it. In fact, I have an order for another one for this weekend!

iD

* I bake rather infrequently, but when I do the output is eagerly anticipated but as there are more willing consumers of my patisserie than there are cakes to satisfy them, then only the people who are very nice to me get a chance at a slice.

This very cruel iL Dottorie taunting PB like this, particularly as there is now a travel ban in place. You should be reported- wait there whilst I go away and look up who I should be reporting you too. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13