The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey this morning and a bit hazy earlier but that seems to have lifted. Dinner last night was a beef hot pot, very tasty.

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Later in the week it would be a good idea to find the vaccination centre and do a dry run so as to avoid a panic on the big day.  It is in a recently developed area so may look unfamiliar on first inspection.

Best wishs to all

Chris

Chris, if I'm going into unfamiliar territory and the maps don't give sufficient detail I look on Google Earth. Quite often its possible to virtually 'drive' the route to the destination. 

Time to get breakfast ready, be back later.

• Like 8
  • Agree 10

6 hours ago, pH said:

A question - why do most cups and mugs not have flat bottoms? Most have a raised rim round the base. We have one with ‘pebbles’ on a flat base. The only one of our cups with a flat base is made of glass.

That was a real request for information!

I couldn’t think of a reason why cups and mugs are like that, and wondered if anyone could tell me.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello again, the postman called about half an hour ago. With the post came one of the errant packages from Hong Kong. This was the one where they have sent a replacement so I have notified the vendor and offered to pay for the other ones when they arrive.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pH said:

A question - why do most cups and mugs not have flat bottoms? Most have a raised rim round the base. We have one with ‘pebbles’ on a flat base. The only one of our cups with a flat base is made of glass.

They also used to have an indent either side so that they could drain properly.  These days when they come out of dishwashers they still have some water on the bases that you have to tip out carefully.  'Fings ain't wot they used 2b'.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Mug bottoms

"The mug bottom is often not flat, but either concave or has an extra rim, to reduce the thermal contact with the surface on which a mug is placed. These features often leave a characteristic circular stain on the surface. Finally, the handle of a mug keeps the hand away from the hot sides of a mug. The small cross section of the handle reduces heat flow between the liquid and the hand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Mug bottoms

"The mug bottom is often not flat, but either concave or has an extra rim, to reduce the thermal contact with the surface on which a mug is placed. These features often leave a characteristic circular stain on the surface. Finally, the handle of a mug keeps the hand away from the hot sides of a mug. The small cross section of the handle reduces heat flow between the liquid and the hand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mug

Bit bored so been checking other containers, for example jam jars, vases, yogurt pots, all have the concave bottom? It it anything to do with stability, the outside definitely doesn’t want to be convex.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

13 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

When I typed in the question about cup bottoms into google it came up with a site for bras for women with bigger boobs.................................I thought I'd better back pedal out of there before SWMBO caught me and thought I was up to no good........................................again....................................

Couldn’t decide whether to mark with laughing icon or heart icon but through discretion I choose the heart.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Does any ER'er know of an oil based white satin that doesn't go yellow?  Such things appear to be extinct now, ever since the politicians/H&S brigade outlawed such dangerous items :angry:  Bear just can't get on with water-based paint since it dries about a millisecond after being applied, meaning 'orrible dragging etc. (Bear likes to be able to brush until I'm happy with the finish, and water-based paint has a rule which says:

"Though Shalt Not Go Back To The Bit You Did 60 Seconds Ago, Cos' You'll Regret It"

- I have heard of a paint conditioner/retarder called Floetrol, but have no experience of it; the other downside of water-based paint is that it appears to chip if you so much as stare at it for more than 2 seconds :angry:

I know that Johnstons make one that decoratorscused for painting smokey pubs with yellow walls. I was told about  it by a friend who works at the factory. It worked a treat on the cieling of our lounge in France 5 years ago and hasn't shown any signs of discolouration since. Perhaps it helps that we don't smoke. If you are interested I'll dig a tin out and try and find a stock code.

Jamie

• Like 15