The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

@The Q yes loads of people want to have their jabs before vilnerables.. I notice no one has said anything about giving the Army lads and lasses who are in the front line the vaccine.

Noticeable reductions in jabs being delivered which is worrying.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A dull grey morning this morning and rain is predicted by the seaweed twirlers about now. They were right about last nights rain as was Arthur Itis but nothing from him about this morning. I am waiting for a couple of parcels from Hong Kong, ordered before Christmas so I e-mailed the vendors. One has replied saying they are sending a replacement. Another item that I ordered from a UK supplier is on its way but there shouldn't be any problems but I mustn't say any more as it runs on parallel strips of metal. The rain that Tony mentioned has just reached here about ten minutes later. As for my parcels from Hong Kong I saw somewhere that a few weeks ago that a container ship lost a few overboard, thats a possible reason for the vendors readiness to send a replacement, just needs to claim insurance.. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

EBays a good source for nuts and bolts etc from China, at cheap prices too.

As for the boxing in, you've given Bear an idea....there are a couple of pipes (cold water and gas) that live behind the washing machine; whilst looking at them last night I was wishing I'd boxed them in & had them plastered over, but quickly realised that wasn't an option as I wouldn't know what length to make the box (there will be kitchen units either side).  Plan 2:  box them in and tile.  Even though all this lives behind the washing machine and won't be seen unless the washer comes out for floor washing, dusting etc. I'd still like it to be neat and easy to clean.  I'm that kinda Bear :laugh:

That was sort of my problem. When we decided to reinstall a bath, the only feasible path for water and waste pipes was across to the bath from the cupboard under the washbasin. Also it turns out said cupboard ended up a tile height (250mm) above the floor so the sink piping us still exposed.  I've now made a box that will cover the whole lot.  Tile cutting to start soon, they are already marked up. Personal needs break of scones and coffee being taken after we cut and stacked a week or so's worth of logs.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Achey here today too, dampness outside probably to blame, it threw it down overnight.

Stripped the top end of the underperforming motorcycle engine yesterday, to find broken piston rings, odd as it wasn't burning oil. Only place i can find o line that has the relevant parts (it's 45 years old) won't recognise Fraggle Rock on their drop-down only address system.

Time to phone them and see if they understand we're only 35 miles away from them......#sigh#

Ah yes you might be only thirty five miles away but you are outside the twelve mile limit so international rates will apply.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah yes you might be only thirty five miles away but you are outside the twelve mile limit so international rates will apply.

For couriers, but not Royal Mail.  It is a regular thing to call businesses and ask them to send items by ordinary post - they tend to be amazed at how cheap it is......

The problem for couriers is the rates the Steam Racket charge for goods vehicles.  Astronomical.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

For couriers, but not Royal Mail.  It is a regular thing to call businesses and ask them to send items by ordinary post - they tend to be amazed at how cheap it is......

The problem for couriers is the rates the Steam Racket charge for goods vehicles.  Astronomical.

Carrier pigeon?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Carrier pigeon?

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

It takes a lot of those to lift a container full of mail..... :lol:

You obviously ain't seen the size of the pigeons 'round 'ere :D

• Funny 18