The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I had to Google that. However I then felt silly as I had taught such things but I really didn’t recall the term “dichotomous”. The use of such things occurred in science and computing., both of which I taught at various times. 

I don't remember the "dichotomous" part of keys but I do remember their painful use in Biology at about the same stage that he is - year 7 in new money, 1st year secondary in LSD. This one was about leaves and his main problem was that he couldn't imagine the leaves the pictures purported to depict. Apart from the holly....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I always watch what they are doing when having an injection or when they take blood. On one occasion about 30 years ago it was a good thing I was as the nurse fainted as she put the needle in for an injection and I was left holding the syringe until I could get another nurse to come and sort out both the injection and the nurse lying on the floor! 

I'm left wondering if that was because she couldn't stand the sight of blood- in which case why or how had she become a nurse or she was overcome by just how handsome, alternative words are available, you were.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Missing words
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I don't remember the "dichotomous" part of keys but I do remember their painful use in Biology at about the same stage that he is - year 7 in new money, 1st year secondary in LSD. This one was about leaves and his main problem was that he couldn't imagine the leaves the pictures purported to depict. Apart from the holly....

Some of the plant identifier ones seem to require a considerable pre existing knowledge of leaf structure. Getting students to try to make simple ones is quite a good exercise. I went on a course once that was about developing expert systems in computer studies using a language called Prolog. They were IT versions of the keys.  All the examples ended with the program declaring “Seek expert assistance”.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 16

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I do know someone whose elderly father had just got an automatic car. I think it was one of the BL products. Anyway the chaps wife gets out to open the garage door. His foot slips and instead of pressing  the brake accelerates, running over his wife breaking her collar bone , continues through the garage, destroys the chest freezer, rear wall of the garage and ends up in the back garden. 

Apparently not uncommon with older drivers and automatics but only makes the headlines when someone died!

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I do know someone whose elderly father had just got an automatic car. I think it was one of the BL products. Anyway the chaps wife gets out to open the garage door. His foot slips and instead of pressing  the brake accelerates, running over his wife breaking her collar bone , continues through the garage, destroys the chest freezer, rear wall of the garage and ends up in the back garden. 

A woman managed something similar in Tesco's car park here about 18 months back.  It might well have been an automatic judging by what happened but whatever it was she'd not driven it much before that day.  She got going by starting off in the wrong direction then headed back towards where she had started from but went somewhere else because she didn't pay much attention to her steering on the way. She hit one parked car so hard that it moved about 3 car lengths with the handbrake on and was only slowed by the car it hit.  Three members of staff had their cars written off due to the amount of damage that had been inflicted on them and I think the cuplptrit's va car was also probably a write off, then of course there were teh others cars she damaged which were insurance repair jobs (or possibly write offs.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

Apparently not uncommon with older drivers and automatics but only makes the headlines when someone died!

Even more fun if it's a DAF 66, with a fairly poky Renault engine and a gearbox that enables the car to go as fast backwards as it can forwards.....

I remember seeing the aftermath of a real doozy involving one. Fortunately nobody got seriously hurt, but the car was never the same after it was dragged back up the slipway.:jester:

John

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A new covid test has just been announced. Its been shown to be 99% accurate under test and only requires a saliva swab. I just don't like automatic gearboxes although I have driven automatic vehicles. The first was when I went to the USA on a fly drive, they simply didn't offer manual gearboxes. I soon got used to it as soon as I learnt to put it in neutral before trying to start. The second was a Transit minibus, the selection lever was floor mounted where the usual manual lever would be, I kept looking for a clutch pedal with my left foot.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Back in the what cars have you had, the many different hire cars would occasionally throw in an auto. Never hit anything except the brake when trying for clutch...

Also back when being a Tesco maintenance man, it was about once a month someone would take out a row of cars. With a high percentage of the accidents cause by autos..

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

the selection lever was floor mounted where the usual manual lever would be,

Not having a gear selector lever that looks like a gear stick makes it far less likely to use it. When we had the automatic Freelanders Aditi found herself reaching for the gear selector to “change gear” just like her Fiesta. She didn’t do that with the Evoque as it has a rotary knob instead of a gear stick lookalike. The Evoque transmission is so smooth there are no “needing to change gear” noises as in a manual. 

• Informative/Useful 17

When working at one Garage, we heard an almighty BANG and CRASH, I went into the Workshop to investigate, and there was a Mitsubishi Shogun sitting on top of a rather large pile of Concrete blocks. The Girl cleaner had been doing the dashboard with the Engine running to dry the seats, when she slipped the Automatic leaver into gear and it went forward strait through the Breeze Block wall and came to rest on the pile of rubble. She forgot the Engine was running.:o:laugh:

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2