The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

the Rover 214 types shared a Peugeot diesel.. and of course the 214/216 and 414/416 were Hondas rebadged..

And,, when looking into a Rolls Royce I noted odd bits of Morris Marina in there.. door handles from the Marina were used in Range Rovers and Aston Martins at one time..

Baz

Not to mention light units shared between SD1 Rovers and the Ferarri Daytona!

I think the Marina door handles cropped up in all sorts from supercars to kit cars.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 9
  • Agree 5

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Renault and Citroen use 'canbus" a digital system

I am familiar with the CAN bus. It was developed by Bosch in the 1980s and in production in the 1990s.  It was a very good idea for vehicles in the 1990s and 2000s and I believe it is the most widely used automotive networking bus. It's extensively used for on-board diagnostics. LIN is also used for very low bandwidth applications (like door locks, windows, mirrors, etc).

CAN is a serial bus and without additional encryption layers has low security. New ADAS appliances stress the bandwidth of traditional, serial, in-vehicle networks like CAN.

While automotive manufactures suffer terribly from "NIH"* (second only to aerospace manufacturers) in-vehicle network standards are widely adopted. While they help reduce signal wiring mass they don't solve the exploding cost of software and electronic content.

* not invented here

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. The day seems to have flown by, bu@@er all has been done except for a visit to Tess Coes. 

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There was going to be a theme park (can’t remember which megacorporation)  near Rainham in Essex. Near enough to London to get London in its name. However it was too radioactive due to all the trimphones dumped there.  The glow in the dark feature was responsible.  

IIRC it was Disney but they went to Paris instead. I don't think that it was anything to do with trimphones, more to do with red tape. In fact Basildon's twin town in France, Ville de Meaux is right next to Euro Disney.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I am familiar with the CAN bus. It was developed by Bosch in the 1980s and in production in the 1990s.  It was a very good idea for vehicles in the 1990s and 2000s and I believe it is the most widely used automotive networking bus. It's extensively used for on-board diagnostics. LIN is also used for very low bandwidth applications (like door locks, windows, mirrors, etc).

CAN is a serial bus and without additional encryption layers has low security. New ADAS appliances stress the bandwidth of traditional, serial, in-vehicle networks like CAN.

While automotive manufactures suffer terribly from "NIH"* (second only to aerospace manufacturers) in-vehicle network standards are widely adopted. While they help reduce signal wiring mass they don't solve the exploding cost of software and electronic content.

* not invented here

But it does reduce loom weight and complexity.. which was why I said it to say that wiring has reduced in more moden vehicles. When wevlooked at it we were already using the 1553 data bus for other system in Armoured Fighting vehicles to reduce cable weight and also to get better plug and play facilities in the systems we were designing.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear seems to recall that some of the guys working at Vauxhall Luton had a nice little scam going - buy a new Vaxhall bas e model (such as a Cavalier L) with employee discount and then (on the night shift?) put it on the production line to fit all the top spec goodies, thus creating a GLX or whatever.

Hopefully new starters are employed with a probationary period?

Bear has been babysitting the plasterer again - he should be finished by lunchtime tomorrow.  I spent the morning researching cooker extractor hoods (though mine will need to work in recirculating mode as an external vent isn't possible) - I never realised that such things could be so complication.  Decisions, decisions.  I also signed up to a month's trial of Which? Magazine for a fiver, as this will help no end with test reports for products for the new kitchen (hood, hob, oven.......).  I'll cancel after a month, once I've downloaded as much useful info as possible.....

Bear's Thought for the Day:  How come wet plaster is capable of covering the house in a fine layer of dust?? :angry:  I do seem to have minimised (or even escaped) any transfer upstairs though, or into the conservatory.  Mystified...

Gravity perhaps? You don't come from super heavy planet by any chance?

• Like 3
  • Funny 7