The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

That was something I was in charge of for 16,000 patients back in the day, and I was very particular about getting it right.  I had a good team (bar one!) who were also very onboard but had been left to founder before I went there to take charge.  I re-hashed the entire 'library' of letters that got mail merged so that they were readable, concise and accurate.  We were doing 49,000 appointments a year, so were a touch busy, all with just 5 WTE admin staff.  It left me with stress and blood pressure.....but we got a good reputation.

I whole heartedly agree with you there and unfortunately it is the 'back room boys & girls' who are often the ones who take the flack.

I do think though that there is very much a tendancy now a days for people in this role to rather 'sink down' rather than work to a higher standard. It is something I have noticed more recently or perhaps I'm just getting old.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Getting on with memories, how about bands/artists you saw back way back when, I was very much into music, thought couldn't read it and didn't play very well, though an old school report found a while back had the comment that I was an accomplished trombone player.......................really, I remember having a go. I was into the blues in the early 60's and sang and played harmonica in an assortment of bands whilst still at school, did a bit of drumming later on before working as a sound engineer in the early 70's after finishing my apprenticeship. One of the first "big" bands I saw were the Rolling Stones, got to meet up with Mick Jagger after the show in a cafe in Leicester, had his autograph for years, lost it now though. I remember the first  "blues artist" I saw was John Lee Hooker, he was backed by Tony McPhee and the Groundhogs, they often supported touring artists, they backed Howling Wolf too I think. We used to get the American Folk, Blues and Gospel show used to come to Leicester in November every year, saw some amazing acts, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee amongst some memorable ones.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

s! Letter from hospital saying I have an appointment in February and should attend the hospital.

I have an appointment for a routine appointment in the Royal London in February. However the normal letter had a sticker stating it would be a telephone consultation.  I have asked my GP for a blood test form for a local test so I can tell the consultant the results when she phones. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The first band I paid to see was the Screaming Blue Messiahs - Leeds Uni Riley Smith Hall - their support band were a local Leeds band called the Dead Vaynes and so I suppose technically they were the first. I didn't go and see the free gigs at freshers week that year - Joboxers and Dr and the Medics (though I did pay to see them a few months later and they were surprisingly brilliant). I never saw anything live out in rural Kent; any London gigs of bands I wanted to see didn't start until the last train had gone . 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I never saw anything live out in rural Kent;

I remember going to  pub folk clubs in very rural Kent (I went to university in Canterbury). I have absolutely no idea where they were as we usually had to sit in the back of a friends van. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I too nearly lost an eye when I was 3 or 4. 

You've certainly been making up for it since..............

:jester:

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I remember going to  pub folk clubs in very rural Kent (I went to university in Canterbury). I have absolutely no idea where they were as we usually had to sit in the back of a friends van. 

Canterbury had quite a scene back in the day. One band that came out that was Caravan, to which my roommate introduced me as a student. One of their erstwhile members is now a Storyteller, which has involved him dealing with Mrs Lurker at school. She'd never heard of Caravan and was quite surprised that not only had i but that i had a copy of one of their albums lurking in the CD rack!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

.... I know Jamie likes his Eccles cakes, polybear likes his lemon drizzle cake and Flavio likes fruit cake and his specialty ‘fruit and nut’ cake and I think H.H likes  everything. I like coffee cake but not too much butter cream and icing and certainly no nuts. Would anyone else like to make a confession?

Treacle tart is probably my weakness. Chocolate cake and spotted [Richard] always slip down easily and I occasionally have some ginger cake or tea-loaf but I don't have a lot of cake. Having just said that, following from yesterday's post, some LDC was baked and sampled. Turned out nicely but probably ranked about middling in my pecking order. 

I haven't been able to watch the railway architecture programmer as we don't have the channel, but if I get chance, I'll try to find the catch-up web-site. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Can anyone else remember Heinz Tinned steamed apple pudding? Or their tinned steamed Syrup puddings?  they were lovely nut a real no no for a lot of us now.. PAH!

Baz

Their vanishing from the shelves are one of the reasons I don't have as much cake now. Though I should probably have cut down a bit anyway. 

Away from such memories, it's still raining and the phone is still not working. BT's fault reporting just takes you round in circles. Double PAH! (With knobs on...). 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. I couldn't get comfortable in any position due to the sciatica (?) so I stretched out on the bed for half an hour. When I got up there was a twinge and then no pain and its been OK up to now. I'm debating as to whether or not to book a GP appointment. Normally I would do so as a matter of course but covid has changed all that. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Bear took great pleasure in watching The Orange One getting evicted at long last :yahoo: Twenty one guns were fired shortly afterwards; sadly all were a cr@p shot as every one of the useless barstewards missed him.

Then the new Big Cheese got his feet well under the table at last, which Bear hopes will signal the USA turning a corner at long last.  That was until the National Anthem was sung murdered by ....wait for......Lady Gaga......:scared:  FFS, what bright spark thought that was a good idea?  Looks like the smooth turn has just become a three-point turn......

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2