The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PeterBB said:

First day of school.  Mum took me there but at dinner time thought school had finished so walked home ... not realising that was to be the first of many school days to come.

Nothing else to report that I can think of then suddenly  ... memory of earlier today.  Working through a factual history article adding my observations and the 'missing' bits.  One part needed a telephone call to my brother to confirm a specific part ... he remembered other bits as well.  The came a eureka moment.

Our road had 8 bombs in 1941 with one house actually destroyed because the rest hit the road.  Then July 1944 a massive strike with a lot of damage and many people killed.  Earlier in the document I had noted the damage but had missed  one part out that reminded me of something Dad said years ago - there had been no warning.  It suddenly occurred to me that the missing place was the foundry that was immediately opposite our road and in the middle of the damaged church hall and Duke of Cambridge pub.  The article said flying bomb -1944 - but that late in the day it would have been a V2 rocket (ballistic missile of the day), that was the obvious target, why there was no warning and why there was so much damage.  This time it must have been because the earlier bombs had missed the foundry.  Only taken 70 odd years to work that out!

This of course was the time I had no injury because having chased my ball under the kitchen sink was still there when the glass from the windows blew in.

The foundry wouldn't have been the target, London (if that's where you were) or another city would be.  With the technology available at the time, they could point a V2 in the desired direction and adjust the launcher elevation and the fuel load to arrive in the approximate area.  The randomness coupled with the supersonic speed and thus unexpected arrival were what made it a "terror weapon".  Missiles able to hit a particular building came a bit later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding early memories, I retain various images from when I was about 2-4.  Riding in a pushchair; I had two, one quite large, white and heavy  and a small folding one with an orange cloth seat and blue folding frame.  In these I was taken to 'The Clinic' to be weighed and supplied with National Health orange juice.  Shopping at 'The Consumers' Tea Co.' where Mum placed her order to be delivered later in the week.  I have some very clear memories of my first seaside holiday at Holland-on-Sea, near Clacton.  Aged 4, I didn't like it.  Despite loving trains I was scared out of my wits at what must have been Clacton station by sudden, loud blast of steam right next to me as I walked along the platform.  With hindsight I expect it was cylinder drain cocks opening. Also aged four my first morning at school is still vivid, but not unpleasant.

• Like 18

Reading these posts are bringing forgotten memories back 

I remember the drawer i had in reception class it was one of those plastic trays like.you put stuff in at airport i shared it with a lad called Gareth Hughes there was a drawing of a Apple tree on the name label.

One teacher at junior school kept getting my name wrong, kept calling me Simon Harrison. At the time my dad was partner in a firm.of Estate agents called Harrison's and he sold their house for them.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Peter BB's V2 could possibly have been a V1, the last V1's arrived about September 1944, after that the advancing allied forces had overrun the launch sites. The sites where both missiles struck are well recorded so it would be easy to check. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Scenes from the US look like a movie set The National Guard in front of the Capitol,25000 troops and vehicles. 

Bye Bye orange one 

Mrs NB is slowly working her way through "Designated Survivor".

I wonder if there'll be a few extra volunteers for this duty tomorrow?

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning al.

Chrisf - DO NOT DUMP COMICS without checking what you have got.  Some comics can go for many modelling tokens and are. a nice little earner should you have the right ones in good condition.

There was a comic that sold recently for north of $1million the other day.

But - even that's a bargain compared to this:

https://nypost.com/2014/08/25/worlds-most-expensive-comic-book-sells-for-3-2m/

[goes off to look for my copy of Viz #2..................]

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I know Jamie likes his Eccles cakes, .polybear likes his lemon drizzle cake and Flavio likes fruit cake and his specialty ‘fruit and nut’ cake and I think H.H likes  everything. I like coffee cake but not too much butter cream and icing and certainly no nuts. Would anyone else like to make a confession?

With that thought I’ll wish you all

Goodnight

Robert

I am not a huge fan of cake, but:

McVities Jamaica Ginger Cake.........

Great stuff for cutting into slices and packing into my pockets on a long bike ride.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, can't sleep..

I can remember just a couple events, pre school, which are in Cyprus, several in my first primary School days but not the first day, in Northern Ireland,  then memories really start in England by which time I was still just 5 years old. In NI one of my memories was also a steam powered steam roller, trundlling up and down outside the married quarters in RAF Ballykelly.

Myself and my sisters were born in hospitals in ,3 different countries, but I remember being told to go out and play for my little brothers birth, but I was ten then. He now towers over me but he will always be my little brother..

Time to try for more sleep.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9