The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

A retired man over the road has cleared hid drive of snow.. now he is back out doing it again.. (why bother??)

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

no.. he has nothing to do.. no hobbies.. doesn't read books, hates sports so .....

and he is back again as it is still(!!) snowing!

Baz

I am a retired man, and I shovel our drive regularly while snow is still falling. (I also have hobbies, read books, and watch and play sports.)

Why do I shovel the drive in the snow? Our drive is sloped at about 1in 4. It has to be at least reasonably clear to get the car up into the carport. If I leave shovelling until the snow stops, there may be a foot of depth. That has to be moved sideways by the shovelful. If I do it when there’s a couple of inches, I can just plow it all the way down and to the side at the road. Also, if lying snow partially melts, then re-freezes, there is no way to get the resulting ice off the drive and the car has to stay on the narrow road in front of the house till the thaw.

(Now you’re going to tell me your neighbour’s drive is dead flat. )

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, pH said:

I am a retired man, and I shovel our drive regularly while snow is still falling. (I also have hobbies, read books, and watch and play sports.)

Why do I shovel the drive in the snow? Our drive is sloped at about 1in 4. It has to be at least reasonably clear to get the car up into the carport. If I leave shovelling until the snow stops, there may be a foot of depth. That has to be moved sideways by the shovelful. If I do it when there’s a couple of inches, I can just plow it all the way down and to the side at the road. Also, if lying snow partially melts, then re-freezes, there is no way to get the resulting ice off the drive and the car has to stay on the narrow road in front of the house till the thaw.

(Now you’re going to tell me your neighbour’s drive is dead flat. )

49 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@pH yes .. as flat as a snooker table...

Baz

My drive is about one in six, and I park the car on it. I always reverse onto the drive for safety reasons but in snow and ice this can cause problems as the pavement in front of the drive is well used and the trodden down snow makes the front wheels of the car slip. The only solution is to have plenty of rock salt handy.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

In the UK there is a rumour (which may be true) that if you leave the snow and ice as it fell you will not be liable if someone falls over and injures themselves. If you clear the snow/ice and they fall over they could sue you for not doing a proper job. 

Does this help?

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

On the rare occasions we get snow here in the Land of Sutt I do clear the pavement outside my house but use rock salt as well to (hopefully) keep it from refreezing.  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just remembered its BIN day tomorrow. It would normally be today but we're still on Christmas catch up, back to normal next week. No protests from the sore foot today, its stopped raining is probably why. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19